Steroids: Prednisone / Dexamethasone / Others (Oral and Injections)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by tweak, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Codaz

Codaz Member

I'm doing prednisone again now. And yes, it seems to do anything luckily. But it gives also nausea and dizzyness.
      I was checked today for nystagmus and that was not the case (a predictor for menieres).

2. Codaz

Codaz Member

This is long. Start time after you take it in is 4-6 hours said my pharmacy.

3. Codaz

Codaz Member

5 days 60 then down to 10.
      I had 60 twice and then down to 35 but developed dizzyness and nausea so my ENT ordered a new dose. Lost some hearing in the test last monday :'(

4. Codaz

Codaz Member

Yup, fever like symptoms here. Prednisone is a hormone. Instant heat flashes are expected in the papers that come with it.

My ENT said that countering this with laying in bed all day may seem to help but she said I should not do that as it makes matters worse.

5. Jan64

Jan64 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      My ENT: 3 times 60 and then tapering in down with 10... till 10 and then continue with 10: 60, 60, 60, 50, 40, 30, 20, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10 (total dose 400 mg)

6. Codaz

Codaz Member

There is still improvement in T volume with each day of prednisone :)
      But my hearing is far from good :( The broken speaker distortion is in progress

Still massively worried where this came from, I thought I had only TMJ at that side.

7. Instant_exit

Instant_exit Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I have high pitched tinnitus 3.4 khz+broadband noise in the 8-10k region that developed 10 days after an acoustic trauma to both my ears. 50dB hearing loss on both ears between 3-6 kHz.

The doctors gave me nothing for this even though I was at basically banging on the doors asking to get appointments as soon as i developed tinnitus.

Anyway, after all this time they say that I can get 4 days of injections with steroids intratympanic if i want to. I asked since i read some studies saying it can help up to 3 months. They say normally they only treat Meniere's and sudden sensory hearing loss like this, but said they could give me this treatment if i want to (free, this is Swedish healthcare)

I am worried that even though it might be a bit late, what to decide since they booked me a time for treatment on Monday! Can i get more tinnitus permanent from this? Since its late on, Im not sure what to do (Or why they didn't give me steroids as soon as i got this tinnitus?)

Can Intratympanic steroids make my tinnitus worse? I read both horror stories here and some positive statistics even though a long shot, in the studies.

Is it worth pursuing? I have very bad tinnitus troubles and cant really sleep well or ignore my tinnitus at all during the day.

Thanks,
      Jonas

8. Codaz

Codaz Member

No clue about intratympanic injections but getting (oral) steroids is a must. Not every ENT gives them in the same oral dosis which is a crime itself. High dosis is needed otherwise you are screwed.

Note: steroids will only be taken for a month or so. You cannot take this stuff for years.

9. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      With 50db hearing loss, I would go for it. IT steroids seems more likely to help than just oral.

10. Maruashen
      Woot

Maruashen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014 (increased 10/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild hearing loss
      Hej Jonas @Instant_exit

I'm also from Sweden, and got an acoustic trauma a few weeks ago.

I live in Gothenburg so I've visited sahlgrenska university hospital twice and some small special clinics.
      I've been to a total of.. 6 doctors I believe by now.. 4 ENT doctors, and 2 "normal" doctors.
      And only one of them did mention that prednisone could help, he said that there are no real good studies on this tho.

I did ask the other doctors about it as well, and they just said no.

You won't get any effect from treating a acoustic trauma with prednisone now.

However, he did not give me prednisone because I saw him 86 hours after the trauma and he said IF the prednisone would or could help it needs to be given within 48 hours after that it would give no effect on the inflammation what so ever.

The reason why is because the haircells dies after that.

He did also mention NAC N-acetylcysteine but he said it was the same thing there... there is no good studies on this that it would work on humans but sometimes we give it anyway.

Sometimes I feel a bit anxiety that I didn't get prednisone, well especially after lurking around this forum.

But at the same time I guess I should trust the Swedish doctors...

/Martin

11. Instant_exit

Instant_exit Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Thanks! Still very confused what to do since the doctors said I can have it if I want, but do I want it or not? the reason I'm even considering this even at this late stage is studies like this one: http://journals.lww.com/otology-neu...Prognostic_Factors_for_the_Outcomes_of.6.aspx

But this one says placebo injections are just as good, though they only follow up after 4 weeks and not after months, like the first study does.

It's been 2 months since I got tinnitus on Monday.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/lary.26541/full

Can it be dangerous, cause more tinnitus?

/J

12. Codaz

Codaz Member

I always hate it when doctors say no good studies have been done. This thing isn't something invented 2 years ago. People have failing hearing for thousands of years. What are these people doing all day?

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. yahoo888

yahoo888 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown maybe loud volum vai ear plug
      My tinnitus spiked a lot after one day of taking prednisone 50 ml orally. Anyone experienced this?

14. Instant_exit

Instant_exit Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Update: they cancelled my injections two days in a row because of the doctor being home on sickleave. This only aggravates my stress levels concerning this procedure and what to do in this situation. From what I gather after having read all the reports and articles I could find on the internet, corticoid steroid injections could perhaps have a positive effect on tinnitus severity up to three months after tinnitus first started, but lower chance than if treatment is initiated within 2 weeks.

I'm still curious if someone else has experienced this treatment that hasn't already posted, or if someone knows someone else who received this. It sounded by the tone of my ENT that this is a fairly low risk procedure, but now I don't know if i even get to decide if i dare try it since Christmas is coming up and also three months of tinnitus for me.

Tinnitus is still roaring 24/7, 9 weeks after onset. Perhaps a bit less severe than the first two weeks, since i seem to have recovered a small amount of hearing (subjectively, haven't had a new audiogram)

So, any experiences?
      /J

15. Codaz

Codaz Member

Spikes are normal during oral intake. If it doubles for more than a day you should be worried. But this isn't the case.

16. Amv

Amv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Hello all, I hope this message finds you well.

Yesterday walking in the street a very loud noise appeared. I already had tinnitus but doing really great lately.

Should I take prednisone for this last incident? It was loud enough to write this post. The bad thing is that prednisone increases my tinnitus everytime I take it, and after I taper it returns to baseline in some days. Anyway I know it can also increase tinnitus permanently, don't know what to do.

In the meanwhile I am taking NAC. Do you recommend to take prednisone?

17. Localboy

Localboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss from concerts, hunting, tools, and accident
    18. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      @Amv
      I just thought I'd throw my two cents. I recently had some fluid in my ear and was prescribed Prednisone and it not only helped with the fluid but it completely silenced my tinnitus for couple days.

I guess what I'm saying is medicine has different effects on people.
      Hope you're feeling better.

19. Edwin B
      Curious

Edwin B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hello everyone
      I have tinnitus for almost a month, it is of mild to moderate level, produced by acoustic trauma, and I want to start a treatment with corticosteroids, I know that it may not be on time, but I think it can work.
      My question is, what corticosteroid gives the best results?
      What dose do you recommend?

20. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      my ENT said that after 3 weeks oral prednisone has no effect on acoustic trauma - but IMO always worth a try as my ENT was wrong on a few other things so who knows
      There are many older studies on military men showing a clear effect of steroids but only in the the very early stage

• Like Like x 1
    21. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      I read that abrupt corticosteroid withdrawal is fraught with an increase in inflammation, in connection with which a hormone was used. The so-called ricochet syndrome. But in the literature I also found information that after three days a sharp cancellation was allowed. I do not quite understand the validity of taking a hormone in tinnitus, from an inflammation of a snail, or what? The ear is definitely not affected by the cancellation?
      Hey. I took spontaneously prednisolone 3 days at a dosage of 30 mg per day. Then abruptly threw, without lowering the dose. Tell me, it's not dangerous, is it permissible? Could this worsen tinnitus and hearing? The so-called "ricochet syndrome".

22. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      Greetings! I took spontaneously 3 days of prednisolone at 30 mg per day with a sharp stop. Tell me, is this scheme permissible and safe? Did not need a gradual decline? I'm very afraid of the "rebound syndrome" - this is when the inflammation after a sharp cancellation increases. On day 3, my frontal sinuses began to ache (there is chronic sinusitis). That's strange. How would the internal nerves of the ear not inflamed, what do you say?

23. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Not if only taking for 3 days according to my Doctors. If you're taking for quite a while eg. 2 weeks, you should taper slowly.

24. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      Yes? You are now talking about the tablet (oral) form of prednisolone? Have you had similar courses (3 days to 30 mg) in tablets?

25. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Yes, I have taken it on many occasions; the oral tablet. I’ve done up to a month on it and down to a few days.

26. John_415

John_415 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hey all,
      I'm new here, my ENT doctor prescribed me Prednisolone for 7 days, 30mg (first day is today), without a taper off. He said its most successful if administered within 48 hours... I'm 5 and a half weeks in now. I do hope its still effective.
      Scrolling trough this forum I did find some people that found a worsening of there T after taking Pred. which I find concerning. Is there anyone here that has had a worsening of bettering of there T, about 5 weeks in?

I also take a high dose of natural anti-inflammation in the form of Turmeric powder or drink strong ginger tea. Next to that I'm on a full anti-inflammatory diet in the hopes of it making a difference.

Is there anything I should definitely not eat or drink while on Prednisolone btw?

27. Liam_Cairns

Liam_Cairns Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Originally loud Music and was worsened by Micro-suction
      I found it made my tinnitus more noticeable but not louder if that makes sense, but once I stopped taking it the tinnitus became less intrusive, I think a lot of it comes down to an increase in blood pressure when people use it.

28. John_415

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hey Liam,
      I'm at day 5 now, in the 7 day treatment. I am also finding it is either a little more noticeable or a bit louder now. I'm hoping it will decrease to a lower level then before I started taking it. Good to hear that with you it returned to the lesser intrusive state.

29. Codaz

Codaz Member

It can still improve. I was told to taper it much slower over weeks and weeks time so.

30. John_415

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It does indeed look like improvement is still possible Codaz.
      The results of my Prednisolone treatment are in.
      I was really scared reading trough the big booklet that came with those pills but the actual side-effects where not that huge. Especially the first few days where ok, the last few days I was really tired and it makes me hyperactive.
      From day 4 to day 7 the loudness of my T went up quite a bit, instead of just hearing it in a quiet room in the evening... I started hearing it also during the day in quiet areas at day 7.
      From day 4 to day 7 I also noticed the sound that I normaly heard (5000Hz beeping like a morse code) slowly change into a more steady tone. Next to that I also started hearing a sound identical to the sound of a mechanical hard drive.
      3 days after stopping Prednisolone the volume went down considerably to a level lower then before I started.
      All in all, this is good improvement, a mainly steady tone is way more easy to ignore or mask and the hard drive sound is just faint anyway.

Some things I did to counter the side-effects where:
      - Use Prednisolone in the mornings because the hyperactivness makes it harder to sleep.
      - I used a high dose vitamin D3 suppliment to counteract being in a bad mood because of this stuff.
      Vitamin D3 supplimentation improves my mood. An online source:
      http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/can-vitamin-d-improve-mood-4662.html
      - I drank 200grams of blueberries in a smoothy in the mornings to counteract the brainfog.
      They tested blueberries on humans and found that eating 200grams will increase mental focus up to 20% 5 hours after consumption when compared to a control group not eating blueberries. Source:
      www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1212579/A-bowl-blueberries-day-keeps-brain-active-afternoon.html
      - Loads of suppliments to improve sleep because sleeping is rough with this drug.

My T has been steady for 3 days now, I hope this is the new standard and perhaps further improvement will come, il update if change happens. In the meantime im off into my single minded anti-inflamatory diet which includes lots of Turmeric powder and black pepper since I read this is the best natural remedy for inflamation.
      Source 1:
      www.insideoutwellness.net/turmeric-curcumin-alternatives-to-steroid-anti-inflammatory-drugs-and-weight-gain/
      Source 2:
      www.biomediclabs.com/blog/3-safe-alternatives-to-the-antiinflammatory-drug-prednisone/

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018