Strange Night

Discussion in 'Support' started by Falconfox, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Falconfox
      Paranoid

Falconfox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wish I knew, possibly nosie damage.
      When I went to sleep last night my right ear, which is normally quiet, started peeping up, which bummed me out. Then it started to do some, electrical like sounds if I can call it that, intermittently, barely audible. At that point the T in my left ear started to get quieter and quieter until I could almost no longer notice it, If I had not been looking for it I wouldn't know it was there, and unlike previously where another noise would take its place it stayed low for a good while, then started switching through tones but all at a very low level. I was so hopeful that my brain was fixing itself. This did not last as it fluctuated high to low throughout the night and is now back to normal, I think, It's hard to tell since it fluctuates day to day.

Am I reading too much into this? Definitely scared me a bit as this hasn't happened before, though I do recall the electrical sounds during the early days of my onset. Feels like this might've pushed me back progress wise as I'm now looking for it from room to room again.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      My t is usually in my left, but when the right joins in the left goes really quiet, just like it cant manage both at once.

3. Richard Wallace
      Thinking

Richard Wallace Member

Hi Falconfox, I don't know if I have 2 nights in a row that are the same so I wouldn't over think and worry about what you experienced. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night with quieter T, and other nights I wake up with weird spikes and different tones. The T is very unpredictable to say the least. Hang in there my friend... God Bless.... Rich

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      T tends to move around a lot for some people, especially at the beginning. Your nervous system is trying to 'figure it out'.

5. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      What you describe is exactly what happens to me if I take a benzodiazepin. But you didn´t do that?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Falconfox
      Paranoid

Falconfox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @grate_biff No but I did have a very small amount of valerian root about 2 or 3 hours before I went to bed, it was in a relaxation drink, maybe 20 mg tops. But I've been drinking this semi-often and not had a similar effect really, though I do think it sometimes mellows the t a bit, could just be my imagination.

7. grate_biff
      In pain

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well it seems that VR also affects the GABA receptors like benzo although there is some doubt about it:

Abstract
      Valerian is a medicinal herb that produces anxiolytic and sedative effects. It was suggested that valerian acts via gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA)ergic mechanisms. Previous studies showed binding of valerian extract to GABA receptors, but the functional effect of the binding has not been demonstrated. In this study we evaluated the GABAergic effect of valerian extract and one of its major constituents, valerenic acid, on brainstem neuronal activity in an in vitro neonatal rat brainstem preparation. We first observed that muscimol, a GABA(A) receptor agonist, decreased the firing rate in most brainstem neurons in a concentration-related fashion; 30 micro M produced a 38.9% +/- 3.0% (mean +/- SE) inhibition compared with control values (P < 0.01; 50% inhibitory concentration [IC(50)], 2.0 +/- 0.1 microM). This effect was antagonized by bicuculline (10 microM), a GABA(A) antagonist. Then we showed that valerian extract 3 mg/mL induced a 29.6% +/- 5.1% inhibition with an IC(50) of 240 +/- 18.7 microg/mL, whereas 100 microM valerenic acid induced a 22.2% +/- 3.4% inhibition with an IC(50) of 23 +/- 2.6 microM (both P < 0.01). Bicuculline antagonized the inhibitory effects of both the valerian extract and valerenic acid. In addition, pretreatment with valerian extract or valerenic acid decreased the brainstem inhibitory effects produced by muscimol (both P < 0.05), suggesting that these compounds play an important role in the regulation of GABAergic activity. Data from this study suggest that the pharmacological effects of valerian extract and valerenic acid are mediated through modulation of GABA(A) receptor function. Thus, valerian may potentiate the sedative effects of anesthetics and other medications that act on GABA receptors, and presurgical valerian use may cause a valerian-anesthetic interaction.

IMPLICATIONS:
      Valerian is an herb used in treating anxiety and insomnia. We observed that the valerian effects are mediated through brain gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) receptors in a rat brainstem preparation. Thus, valerian may potentiate the effects of anesthetics that act on GABA receptors, and presurgical valerian use may cause a valerian-anesthetic interaction.

Where do one get a hold of VR? Health stores? Think I want to try it out!

8. InfiniteLoop
      Relaxed

InfiniteLoop Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss in left ear from head trauma (?)
      @Falconfox , T likes to play mind games all the time. I believe that fluctuating tinnitus is more difficult to habituate than steady T because of the additional anticipation that it creates.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Falconfox
      Paranoid

Falconfox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @grate_biff I'm gonna be honest, I did not understand all that. But I gather that valerian root reacts in similar ways to benzos. Ya I think you should be able to buy valerian pills at most holisitic like businesses or health oriented grocery stores.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    10. grate_biff
      In pain

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don´t understand half of it myself, but it suggests that VR may affect the GABA-receptors which again will help explain your T lowering or that you sensed something happening. Im sure it does not work the same way or is as potent as benzo though, thus not addictive either.(like benzo)