Struggling a Little With People Who Don't Get It and General Issues

Discussion in 'Support' started by Georgia, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Georgia
      Thinking

Georgia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey guys, lately I've just been feeling off. I never really care about what people do or what my my friends do that could hurt or upset me but I feel like tinnitus can make me really sensitive, or the whole hearing loss thing. None of my friends are sensitive about what I deal with, I don't feel like they even care or that it even occurs to them I can be a bit unpredictable (mentally) and I don't feel like its my fault. About over a month ago I went to see the ENT and she basically told me that I have to find 'a nice quiet office job' and stay away from bascially anything noisy so I don't damage my hearing. a few weeks after this my friends went to watch an air show which I couldn't go to because I know I would pay for it the next day and would be in agony the whole time I told them this and they literally post a picture on a group chat that we are all in of all of them having a great time, I know I was probably over reacting to feel actually hurt but I did. Because It just highlighted the fact that I can't do these things and the people who are suppose to give a damn about me didn't even consider how it would make me feel.
      At the beginning of this week one of my friends called my other friends 'deaf b******' because they didn't hear him when he called to them. I was angry but wasn't going to start an argument over something he'd never get, (all I'd hear was 'Oh its joke')
      I went to see the audiologist on Tuesday that failed to understand that loud noise is like burning yourself you try and protect your self from the injury by pulling your hand back to stop it getting burnt.
      He also changed something about my left hearing aid which blocked my ear so I can't wear them. So now I ahve to go back tomorrow to get them readjusted.
      Because I live in Britain where its never really hot or anything a sudden change In temperature made my ears block even more.
      Another problem is that I'm going this hiking camping thing called the dofe and last time I went it severely messed with my tinnitus and blocked up my ears.
      Any thoughts or advice? thankyou
      And does anyone here feel like tinnitus can make them over sensitive

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Georgia,

Yes, I definitely think it is possible that tinnitus can make us more sensitive than we would be otherwise. When mine is at its worst, I just don't really want to be around anyone, and I have "safe" things I do until I feel better again. Going outside really helps me, and so does retreating (like reading a book) or doing something else on my own.

You're right that people don't really understand, and we can't really expect them to. So, I just sort of "lie low" until I feel better again. My tinnitus is at its best in the morning, and gets worse during the day. When I'm at my worst (around 4:00 - 6:00 P.M.) I plan solitary activities. It's not a perfect solution, but it's the only one I have right now.

It's hard to say what causes that feeling of fullness in our ears. Mine has finally gone away, but it was with me for several years. It could be that a change in barometric pressure is what has affected yours, so that when you're outdoors camping, it makes the pressure get worse.

Take care, and I hope you have a great time if you decide to go on that camping trip!

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Georgia
      Thinking

Georgia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thankyou Karen, its always so great to speak to people who know how I feel and can relate I think I'll take up your advice about spending some quality alone time when I'm not feeling great, I hope you have a wonderful day and thnx for replying. And by the way I am still going on the camping trip! thnx again :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      I get fed up with telling people (including those close) that I'm alright when I'm not so they can feel OK about themselves.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      @Georgia,Good for you! I hope you have a wonderful time on the camping trip, and that your tinnitus doesn't act up too much while you're out there. It's very good therapy to do the things that you would normally do, in spite of your tinnitus. Enjoy!

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Georgia
      Thinking

Georgia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Tell me about it, I don't even know how to talk to the people I care for about this because all they do is get sad and worry and feel bad for me, I hate pity and worry, they getting upset only makes it worse because It just reminds you hey I've got ringing in my ears that will never go away and It bothers people who don't even have it really must be that bad.
      I hope your doing Okay though Paul, we are all in this together :)