Struggling BADLY with Dysacusis/Sound Distortion: Has Anyone Habituated and Does It Get Better?

Discussion in 'Support' started by sv_505, May 7, 2023.

1. sv_505
      No Mood

sv_505 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      This started when I first started having Eustachian tube problems a couple of weeks ago. This "dysacusis" is KILLING me. Coming to terms with the reality that my hobbies could be over and I'll have to hop on anxiety meds and become a completely different person with a whole new set of hobbies and interests to cope has emotionally and mentally destroyed me. I can't listen to music, watch TV/videos or enjoy video games that have background music or ambience and I can't sleep peacefully with masking videos because they are all accompanied by inconsistent high-pitched whistling.

What also scares me is if my tinnitus ever increases for whatever reason, I won't be able to mask it because literally any form of masking like fans or rain produces the sounds. I don't know how I could habituate to this because it isn't constant like tinnitus and it's definitely louder and more disturbing than my tinnitus when it happens. No clue what could have caused this either as I've always been protective of my ears in regards to loud noises so I don't see how it could be from additional acoustic trauma and, as far as I'm aware, I haven't got any sickness or allergies.

Has anyone habituated? How do you cope? I'm seeing my GP on the 18th to get an ENT appointment for my potential ETD.

Sorry for the venting but I feel like I'm losing it.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. TheCapybara
      Anime

TheCapybara Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely headphone noise
      I have this and honestly, I don't think habituating to this is really possible since it's so noticeable. But you don't have to end your hobbies because of this.

You can still listen to music where there's no pitch that causes the distortion, and you can still play games too. If it's like mine, then I assume it only happens with a pretty high frequency, so it's not constant?

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sv_505
      No Mood

sv_505 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Yeah, I hear it slightly over fans and stuff, and it bothers me a little anxiety and stress-wise. However, in terms of volume, MUSIC is the worst and most intrusive. It depends on the music too, some is more "reactive" than others. If I listen to any media that mostly uses instruments like pianos, violins or flutes, then the whistling becomes SUPER noticeable and distracting and ruins whatever I'm trying to enjoy, thus making me depressed...

For some reason, I forgot to mention that I did have sound distortion shortly after getting my ongoing tinnitus three years ago and while it freaked me out at first, I actually DID end up getting used to it like 7 months later (I don't know the exact time frame). Like, I could do all the stuff I mentioned that I enjoyed doing and never thought about it or got distracted by it unless I was actively looking for it. So, it either got spiked from stress/anxiety or I've "unhabituated" if that's even a thing, or, worst-case scenario; it actually did just straight up get worse.

Do you reckon my recent Eustachian tube issues and anxiety/stress is a possible cause? I don't think I had or developed dysacusis because sounds don't bother me or cause discomfort - aside from the distortions obviously. But I've seen somewhere that hyperacusis is a form of dysacusis so I don't know.

Thanks for the reply anyways, I hope you're doing well.

4. TheCapybara
      Anime

TheCapybara Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely headphone noise
      I honestly couldn't tell you for sure what the cause is. In my case, it's pretty likely that it was caused by headphones, maybe paired with anxiety/stress which has always been a big factor for me.

I know dysacusis is a really difficult thing to deal with, especially early on. You learn to live with it a bit better after your stress response to it dies down over the span of a few months, but you'll realize you can still do the things you did before but just more carefully and on a lower volume.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Philip83
      Jaded

Philip83 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Moped (2001) Noise blast (2014) Club (2017) Snowboard (2018)
      I got dysacusis from a headphone blast about 2.5 years ago. It went away 95% in about 3-4 months. Now I only get it sometimes, most often with sudden, sharp human voice sounds, like a sharp laugh or yell. So, it can def heal up over time!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Like Like x 1