Sudden Hearing Loss TMJ-Related Ischemia?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Coyotesheaven, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      So, I had a really freaky accident today.

I was driving home, with earplugs only slightly in. My ears get clogged so I open my jaw slightly to clear them. Then suddenly tremendous pressure in my ear and I can't hear out of it for a minute or two (at least 75% deaf). It came back, a bit anyway, but not much. Most of it is low frequency damage, and there is no tinnitus of any sort.
      Was that an ischemic attack? I know that the temporal artery passses right around the TMJ joint....wondering if I nicked that stupid thing when I opened my jaw...or if my ear pressure went up too high or something.

God help me, because I am burning in hell.

2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I would not imagine that simply moving your jaw could cause hearing damage unless you have some very strange anatomy. However, with these symptoms I would definitely see a doctor.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      @linearb

Haha all my doctors are dumb. I have been to a dozen about this...all dumb. I am always a million steps ahead of them; if I continued listening to their stupidity I would have my health waste away even faster.

It's a matter of fact that the temporal artery passes right behind the TMJ joint; mine is out of place due to extreme muscle tension and is likely pinching on them on one or both sides. Also, there is vascular compression throughout the neck region.

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      fwiw, I vividly remember one night where I really stretched my neck out, too vigorously, right before bed -- then woke up several hours later with an unbelievably piercing and loud squeal on top of my usual tinnitus. I immediately massaged the area and took a hot shower which calmed it down a bit, but I have long wondered if I triggered some kind of vascular insufficiency and did some damage.

I believe that I've had significantly less tone bursts in general since I started sleeping with an expensive TMJ appliance -- but that's over the same general period of time that I've been taking low-dose naltrexone, so it's sort of hard to say what's doing what. Certainly, I am much less likely to get crippling burning pain in my jaw when I start chewing breakfast now.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Codaz

Codaz Member

Do you have any references for this?

6. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      • Like Like x 2
    7. Codaz

Codaz Member

That doesn't describe why I developed vertigo and sudden hearing loss in the lowest frequencies.
      And my ENT didn't research this.

8. Amber5

Amber5 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SHL
      I had SHL in March. Then diagnosed with TMJ. Pain in jaw and fleeting tinnitus in my good ear. I also wonder if TMJ was the culprit