Sudden Hearing Loss with Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Plrich, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Plrich

Plrich Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden hearing loss
      I experienced a sudden hearing loss in my right ear 9 months ago and along with that, tinnitus in both ears. I currently wear a cross hearing aid that is helpful. In the beginning, I was sure my hearing was going to return just as mysteriously as it had disappeared. However that has not happened and I am trying to adjust to my new normal. I admit sometimes I feel overwhelmed with the idea that this loud ringing and buzzing will be in my head for the rest of my life. I get panicked knowing I can't escape it. Then I get back in control and reach acceptance. It is what it is. Also it is astounding to read how many people there are experiencing the same condition. The people in my life have no understanding of what I am going through.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden profound hearing loss in left ear.
      Hi pirich,
      I experienced sudden hearing loss in one ear along with loud tinnitus in 2013. I know exactly how trapped you feel. That's the wonderful thing about this forum. Your doctors don't know, your family doesn't know-only the people on this forum know how scary tinnitus can be. I think you are doing really well with this after only 9 months. It takes time to figure out how to cope with hearing loss. It takes time to figure out how to cope with tinnitus. This isn't what I wanted and my life will never be the same but I will be okay and so will you. We will just be different. Maybe new doors will open because of those that have closed....who knows?

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Plrich

Plrich Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden hearing loss
      Thank you Lorac for your reply. I find your optimism helpful. It certainly does no good to feel sorry for ourselves. It is interesting to read other people's experiences and thoughts regarding this affliction. I am struggling to understand what caused this and what if anything I can do to lessen the noise. I have tried limiting salt, caffeine, and alcohol. I think it has made a difference. Have you found anything that helps?

4. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden profound hearing loss in left ear.
      Hi @Pirich,
      Sorry it has taken me so long to respond, really busy with holiday things this week. Physically, there are some things that seem to help me cope. I avoid caffeine, I try to avoid stress, I try to sleep more. I also went to a psychologist for a while. She helped with the emotional side of things, acceptance of my situation.
      My tinnitus increases when I am around sound, becoming loud and uncomfortable. It is not practical (and very isolating) to try to avoid sound completely though. I try to balance the noisy days with quiet days. I still want to participate in life with my friends and family but I reserve some days for silence. The tinnitus does not panic me any longer but it did for at least a year or so. I understand how you feel.

• Like Like x 1