Sudden Increase

Discussion in 'Support' started by tinnitussufferer, Jul 26, 2015.

1. tinnitussufferer
      Angry

tinnitussufferer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2004
      i had bilateral tinnitus for many years and now i hear a sudden change. Its gone from hearing many different tones on both sides to now only hearing one loud single tone in the right.
      I am not coping with this. It wont go away.

2. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Maybe this is a good thing if it is changing? You have no T in your left ear now? Maybe it gets loud for a bit and disappears in the right as well.

3. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      that could be considered an improvement, i wish mine follows the same route as yours.

at least you have one quiet ear you can sleep on !

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tinnitussufferer
      Angry

tinnitussufferer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2004
      no i dont think youre understanding me.

what i meant was, previously, it was bilateral and still is actually, but i would be able to sleep and it wasnt loud enough that i could hear it above everything. But this new tone in my right, is high pitched, its loud, i can hear it above everything and it wont go away.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tinnitussufferer
      Angry

tinnitussufferer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2004
      can someone tell me whats going on here. Is this permanent? or will it go down? or impossible to say?

6. Evian

Evian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      It probably the fact that it is different that is making you panic, I'd you got on with multi tones in both ears one tip one in one ear should be a similar habituation process - I think it is just the chase that is spooking you. Your current T sounds like mine which I admitt is truly horrible.

Unless your tinnitus was of the coming and going sort before hopefully you will get used to this as well

7. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Antibiotics
      Mine done that for a day, woke up the next day and it was gone, how long has it been like that?

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tinnitussufferer
      Angry

tinnitussufferer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2004
      1 day so far

9. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      1 day is a bot too short to panic and say that it won't change..

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tinnitussufferer
      Angry

tinnitussufferer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2004
      so how long is long enough? usually, when i would get spikes lasting only 10 seconds. This spike is just constant

11. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Don't panic. That is the worst thing you can do. The sooner you calm and relax, the sooner it will lessen. Try to do something engaging for a while. By engaging I mean something meaningful to occupy yourself. I just got off a bad (9 out of 10) 3 day spike because I was traveling and lack of sleep. Today it is back to 2/10. Despite how loud or low my T is, I always have many sounds, tones, crickets, electrical whatever.

12. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      I've had T for 4,5 months only and had spikes lasting at least one day on further occassions. There are so many folks here whose spikes lasted days or weeks before all came back to normal that I guess you can suck some hope from their examples..

13. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I had what sounded like honking car horns in my right ear, I have posted about it here in the past.. I had this easily for 6 months and it went away completely, nothing left of it even if I try and liten for it now. I would have never thought this sound would disappear, it was the loudest of them all, although it was not the most disturbing.

I won't try and link it to anything I was doing at the time or come up with any wild theories or claims on why it went away, in my opinion tinnitus is just unpredictable.

• Agree Agree x 2
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tinnitussufferer
      Angry

tinnitussufferer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2004
      what does your tinnitus sound like?and how loud is it? is it constant or fluctuate?

it is unpredictable and that is the worry. You never know how it will change or when. Or whether the change is permanent or not. Thats why even if you do habituate, it doesnt mean tinnitus will never bother you again.

I could have lived with the previous level but thats all changed now because of this spike for no reason.

15. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Yeah, we'll live in fear until the end of our days. I had a spike today. Just suddenly sth popped in the ear and a new sound began. First it's loud and this passes pretty fast but a new sound stays. I'm pretty sure tomorrow it won't be there cause I did nothing that could possibly trigger a permanent change. My t is not stable at all, but I can tell when a spike comes.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tinnitussufferer
      Angry

tinnitussufferer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2004
      There doesnt have to be anything which triggers a permanent change for it to be permanent. What about my friends who dj in clubs all night? they do this daily and they dont get tinnitus. I only got permanent tinnitus after one exposure. it was admittedly quite loud, but still not fair considering that other people have even louder noise exposure and for longer but no tinnitus.

17. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      There doesn't have to be but usually there is. I'm trying to show you the optimistic version but if you fix yourself on pesimistic one, that's up to you. Yeah, you had bad luck, like all of us here. Of course it's not fair. Most ilnesses are unfair. Look at childen dying of cancer. Life's not fair..after all this time you still think how unfair it is?

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tinnitussufferer
      Angry

tinnitussufferer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2004
      you cant just ignore how unfair it is. It angers me. has your tinnitus got less now?

19. Jbeans

Jbeans Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mines done that before. usually gets better overnight. otherwise 1-2 days. longest annoying spike was 1 week

20. Thongjy
      Balanced

Thongjy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Can update us how is your new sound? Gone for good?

21. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      @Thongjy, hey, yep, gone.
      @tinnitussufferer . I can ignore it and I do. If you chose to waste energy on being angry against fate, that's your choice. It's not fair I have other health issues that knocked me down long time ago. It's not fair innocent people die at war . It's not fair children die of terrible diseases. It's not fair some of them are born without arms or legs etc. It's not fair some people I know work hard and earn shit whereas 1% of humans hold 50% of wealth of the planet. Therefore my conslussion is : life 's not fair. Nothing on this planet is fair. It's not that I'm ok with this cause it gave me an overall feeling that life globally sucks, but I'm still trying to enjoy it and I see the good in it. We need to fight for fairness when we can do sth about it : for example against polititians, but I won't waste energy on being angry because T is not 'fair'.I'm angry I'm that I got sick,that's enough of anger. Especially that so many other people suffer so much too. I'm not alone being treated unfairly by fate and I don't only think about tinnitus sufferes.

22. Blero

Blero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress/ Air Pressure from flying
      @tinnitussufferer Its been over a month now with my "so called spike". Believe me, Im frustrated as well. I feel like i don't deserve this and this is going to be the end of me. I feel like in time this will all get better. No matter what happens we need to focus on our future and life. My best friend served in the army and had an IED bomb go off next to him and he has screeching tinnitus in both ears. He got married and had a kid, living his life. Sometimes you just have to man up. Im still in the position where I'm scared at night and freak out that nothing masks my T. But i can't sit here and dwell all day about it. I feel like coming back to this website makes it worse in a way because its a constant reminder that we still have it and we are worried about it. Once we stop worrying I'm sure we won't need this website anymore. But I will for sure let everyone know if it gets better for me.

23. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      @Blero Hang in bro You show great strength hope things get better for you.

24. Blero

Blero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Carlos1 Thanks Buddy, How are you doing? Hows Life?

25. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      well 2 years ago life was a little easier still trying to figure out how to live with T as we all know it's extremely difficult and only we that suffer with T truly know. I remind myself that I'm progressing my reaction to T is better today then the beginning .....Worst part is living in fear that it will get worse over time but we must live one day at a time.....it's only way to survive this ..hope for meds to help us in the future .
      Stay strong man

26. Blero

Blero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus: