Taking Benadryl to Sleep

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rochelle, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Rochelle
      Fine

Rochelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2008
      I was wondering how many T sufferers take Benadryl to sleep, and if so, how long, and have you had to increase your doses for the same effect?

I took it for a few weeks to "knock me out" while I was adjusting to a new INTRUSIVE normal- just to cope. I think we've all noticed that coping is easier when we get enough sleep.

Now I'm weaning myself of it by gradually cutting the doses every week. When I tried to stop abruptly I had terrible insomnia.

So, what's your experience?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      What's your dose? I take 50 mg nightly to sleep and I've never weaned myself off of it. It's not a bad drug, especially in that low dose. You'll also find Benedryl in a lot of OTC sleep medications. But you only want to take 50 mg at night, no more and never with alcohol.

I also take 1 mg, sustained release melatonin for sleep. That and the Benedryl work well for me.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rochelle
      Fine

Rochelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2008
      Hi @jazz . I was taking 50mg in the pm too. I know it's not a "bad"/ "addictive" drug, but our bodies do become dependent upon them. That's why when they are missed or stopped suddenly, there is a rebound effect, such as headaches, stuffy nose, etc... or in my case- insomnia when I tried to stop taking it. It wasn't the T keeping me up or bothering, I just couldn't sleep. I don't want to be dependent upon medications, and I want to protect my kidneys (which metabolizes Benedryl) as much as possible, my other organs and systems too- like the CNS w/Benedryl.
      So I started weaning my self off, cutting the second 25mg tablet into 3/4, 1/2, than 1/4. I'm on one 25mg tab at bedtime now. Sleeping ok, dreaming again, and less craggy in the am.

@jazz How long have you been taking 50mg at bedtime? Years? Months? Nice talking w/you. :)

4. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I took it on and off for several years before developing tinnitus. But now I've taken it nightly for two years. Benedryl is a short acting drug. I don't believe you will get hooked on it or develop a tolerance from one dose a day. But I could be wrong!

My mother has taken it nightly for many years, and she's never had to increase. She only takes 50 mg nightly. Nothing else.

Benedryl makes you drowsy but that's the only CNS effect I know about. That's why you shouldn't drink and take Benedryl.

If you're concerned about Benedryl, then you probably don't take any supplements for sleep. Personally, I believe Bendryl is safer than valerian or other sleep supplements. That said, I also take Melatonin nightly, but it's only 1 mg.

Once you're off the Benedryl, perhaps you should try warm milk. I know some people swear by it, and milk is definitely good for you! :)

5. cowdodge
      Grumpy

cowdodge Member

Tinnitus Since:
    6. Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      I took Zyrtec this morning for allergies but can I have one of these for at night? Is there any interactions?

7. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fifty milligrams of Benedryl is not a lot. I know someone who takes Claritin everyday and 50 mg of Benedryl at night. But Zyrtec, Claritin, and Benedryl are all antihistamines. To be safe, I'd probably ask a pharmacist.:)

• Like Like x 1
    8. Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Great thanks just off to pharmacy now

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    9. aylp
      Depressed

aylp Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      I do not know if it helps but I have been taking Quetiapine 50mg (Seroquel) for depression. But it helped me to fall asleep easily.

10. Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      I take Benedryl APN at night. I have what feels like constant sinus stuffiness...I think the Benedryl helps.

11. George

George Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      I have been taking 50 mg of benedryl on a daily basis every night for almost 6 months now. It has helped me get good night sleeps.

12. Brianna
      No Mood

Brianna Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No clue - too many causes.
      It's likely too late but I'll toss this in. One of my longggg-time and retired friends was a head nurse. She mentioned last night she took benedryl to sleep. I had previously looked it up to see if it fell under an ototoxic drug. It wasn't. Made me happy because allergy season here can be severe for me and I'm already taking allergy shots.

A wise person on this forum made an important suggestion that behooves us all to do. Prior to using a drug or getting a prescription, verify it isn't an ototoxic drug. Some we may need as life is all about quality. So, if a new drug comes along that I believe may help but ototoxic, I'll make the decision if I can live with or without it.

13. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I have autism which gives me insomnia, so you can only imagine having tinnitus in addition is bad to say the least.

14. Stink

Stink Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2000
      what kind of autism do you have? shadgirl has it and her spelling is awful, yours is very good

there are different kinds of autisms?

do you think it has caused your tinnitus?

15. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I have Aspergers syndrome. It's a mild case though, just makes me more logical and smarter I guess. Anyway, she's religious I am not. I'm more agnostic.

16. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Yeah, I had the same thing with valerian after going off it.

17. rhull
      Alone

rhull Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guess I was born with it. Never not known life without T
      My T was screaming at me all day yesterday. Took some B, knocked me out and T is more bearable today.

• Like Like x 1
    18. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      Do you think your lower level of T is attributable to the Benadryl or the sleep? How much Benadryl, and how long did you sleep?

One more question: Is your T constant or does it cycle, so maybe this is a coincidence that your T lowered? :unsure:

19. rhull
      Alone

rhull Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guess I was born with it. Never not known life without T

I took 25 mg. Was asleep by 8, woke at 4am, then nodded off til 6. The night before I only got 5 hours.

I woke up and it was say 5/10. The day before I'd give it a 7/10. As I woke, and got my head together, it dropped to a 3/10 where it's remained most of the day. I did some yard work, went for a walk, and now this evening, it's probably gone up to 6/10.

I plan on taking another one tonight and will see how it goes tomorrow.

20. Neyma

Neyma Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Took 12.5 of benadryl and I'm sorry I did. I've had the worse tinnitus spike of my life. Never ever again will I take benedryl. Thought I was going to die! I've had tinnitus/hyperacusis for approximately 10 years and I have never experienced anything so horrendous. It lasted a good 24 hours with a non stop almost like a very very loud car horn sound. Definitely was the benedryl.

21. jeanoroid
      Yeehaw

jeanoroid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / headphones
      Pretty sure Benadryl has no effect on T unless your T is allergen related.
      You can most definitely get a tolerance to Benadryl at 50mg daily.
      I alternate between one 50mg Benadryl and one 'less drowsy' Dramamine. A week or two on one then a week or two on the other.

And just a heads up - both of these OTC meds are now associated with brain function degradation as you age. The study just came out and the news isn't good.

22. zombiechick
      Probing

zombiechick Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication and hearing loss
      Being pregnant it's one of the few things I can take and it helps more that the half milligram of clonazepam I take once week.

23. Cbush

Cbush Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Age loud noise
      I took Benadryl Monday night and it helped me get some much-needed sleep. Also, as a bonus, my tinnitus was reduced to a low whisper for a day.

• Winner Winner x 1
    24. Cory_
      Inactive

Cory_ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / TMJ / Paracetamol / Alcohol / COVID vax / VSS / ????
      Seroquel = KO.