Tamiflu and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by flkb, Mar 15, 2016.

1. flkb
      Amazed

flkb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/01/2012
      Hi all. I recently came down with a severe case of the flu and my doctor prescribed me Tamiflu. I was wondering if anyone here had any bad reaction to it as far as their tinnitus goes. I haven't been able to find any direct links to the two. Thank you all.

2. Christina

Christina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/30/15
      Hello all,

I have really been going through it and getting sick a lot. I had a flu bug about a week and a half ago and it came back with a vengeance and I ended up having to go to urgent care today because I had 103 fever. I was prescribed Tamiflu and given some ibuprofen for the fever but since taking both of these, my tinnitus is ringing through the roof. I firmly believe that my tinnitus was caused by ototoxicity and I am afraid of taking this Tamiflu if it will end up making my tinnitus permanently worse.

Does anyone have any experience taking Tamiflu and if a spike occurred did it eventually go back down after the medication stopped? My tinnitus is already extremely reactive and I don't want to cause it to get even worse than it already is. Your feedback is appreciated, thank you very much for reading.

-Christina

3. Aussie Lea
      Dramaqueen

Aussie Lea Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Tamiflu doesn't have anything in it that could make tinnitus worse...

4. rhull
      Alone

rhull Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guess I was born with it. Never not known life without T
      I recently had the flu and took tamiflu. My T was very loud over this time, but I was coughing my guts up which I think had a lot to do with it.

Still coughing, still a bit of phlegm 2 weeks on, T has remained loud, although today it was a bit more bearable, Maybe settling down again finally.

5. Christina

Christina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/30/15
      @Aussie Lea - I just wanted to double check because my tinnitus was through the roof after taking it. @rhull
      has your tinnitus finally settled back down?

6. rhull
      Alone

rhull Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guess I was born with it. Never not known life without T
      It did for a while... and guess what, sick again! Spiked again. Wasn't too bad yesterday, up again today.

7. Christina

Christina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/30/15
      @rhull I am sorry to hear that. I try to avoid medication all together when I can help it. I had to have an MRI a few months ago and the machine was so loud, it was awful on my tinnitus. I wish there was a pill we could take that would prevent it from spiking! :(