Temporary or Permanent Spike?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JohnAdams, Oct 19, 2018.

1. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      So my tinnitus was manageable for the first 5 months. At night it would go away for the most part, especially in my right ear.

A week and a half ago I was invited to this church and the PAs were so loud I could tell it was hurting me and I should have left way before I did. Plus the preacher at that church seemed kinda more yelling than teaching.

That gave me a bad spike and it sorta seemed to subside but then I was outside my office and they were mowing and leaf blowing and that seemed to spike my tinnitus again.

Now my tinnitus has changed from a high pitch sound in both ears that would come and go and a constant very low tone in my right ear to a high pitch sound in both ears that kinda sounds like a jet engine/leaf blower in both ears that is certainly harder to mask.

Also my hyperacusis, which was not really a problem now sorta is. It has certainly made it harder to focus at work and now I can't really stay asleep.

I feel like my life is ruined. I had a talk with my wife about it and told her she's going to have to help me remember to do chores and give me direction. She is super supportive.

The worst part about it is the guy that invited me to his super loud church knew I had hearing damage and tinnitus and it never crossed his mind that it might be too loud.

I have gone from being strong to very fragile and weak. I am a broken man. I also have a young son and I'm afraid how this is going to affect his life.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      I'm both surprised and shocked for you, John. You seemed to be doing so well. I was happy for your improvements but also your dedication towards finding a cure.

Mine has recently gotten worse as well from either impulse noise or a minor cold. Perhaps worsened by my own crippling anxiety. I am at my lowest point of depression right now.

However, knowing that I have improved in the past gives me hope.

How is your hyperacusis impacting you right now? Are you in pain? I've also been getting poor sleep due to every little noise waking me up.

3. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      I think your ears just need some rest. Give it some time to heal.

4. Laurie1961
      No Mood

Laurie1961 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dental work
      If you have ANXIETY, I strongly urge you to try an over-the-counter anti-histamine allergy relief medication that contains HCl, like Benadryl. Histamine causes the anxiety. HCl or Hydroxyzine is the same active ingredient as what is in one of the more effective anti-anxiety medications.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1