Tensor Tympani Syndrome from a Benzodiazepine?

Discussion in 'Support' started by LukeYoung, Oct 17, 2021.

1. LukeYoung
      Frantic

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure
      I was wondering if anyone else has had this? It seem the only two times my ears have fluttered and thumped is both times after taking a Benzo. Only took them once and then dealt with these issues for 1-2 weeks afterwards.

Is this normal for most people? Does it always subside?

Everytime I walk on a hard surface bare footed my TTTS goes crazy. I basically have to wear shoes on tiles etc.

I wonder if it will go away like last time.

2. Stacken77
      Wishful

Stacken77 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise (likely headphones & cars), Acoustic trauma did me in
      I haven't had any experience with Benzodiazepines, but I've had quite a lot of bouts with bad TTTS. But here's my 2 cents; I can consistently improve mine through sound enrichment, and it can also spasm from non-real sounds like brain zaps, all this tells me that TTTS seems to be an issue of sound tolerance in the central auditory system, even though it can manifest unilaterally(as mine is only in my right ear).

Benzodiazepines affects the brain and nervous system in different ways, and I would therefore consider it likely to have an effect if that's what you're experiencing.

Anyway, I think it can improve a lot with time, so just ride it out. Try to avoid trigger it though as too much sound can irritate it further as has happened to me.

Wish you well,
      Stacken

• Agree Agree x 1