The Effect of Korean Red Ginseng on Symptoms and Quality of Life in Chronic Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Karl28, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      • Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      so where do we get hold of Korean Red Ginseng then? Something else for us all to get excited about.....

3. rooster
      Fine

rooster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2011
      Can be purchased at oriental herb & medicinal shops located in China town communities or maybe health food stoes.

4. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      In France or the UK ? have no chinese communities here

5. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
    6. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      As someone who has a qualification in TCM (but never practiced) this scattergun approach goes against those principles Korean Ginseng is very very Yang and if you are allready too Yang it could cause side effects ,headache etc

But with our tinnitus anything is worth a go isnt it ..in the UK I would say this is as good as it gets product wise( lot of junk out there)

http://www.tonvara.net/bodybuilding...g80-korean-panax-ginseng-80-ginsenosides.html

7. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      I've been on TCM for over a year a now and basically, there has been zero change in my T. Vinpocetine, is the only natural supplement, which seems to work for me, in. softening my T........ somewhat.

8. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
    9. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      ConsumerLab has tested a few Korean Red Ginseng products and two of them are approved, meaning that they contain what is listed on the label. These are (1) Progena and (2) Puritan's Pride. There are other approved products; however, it is not clear whether they are Korean or red. I will discuss with my doctor and report back.

-Golly

10. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      ''There was no statistically significant difference between initial and post-treatment VAS scores in all groups.''

So basically no one thought their tinnitus got better or worse.

11. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I wouldn't bother...

Amanda you're always chasing these natural treatments. I envy your enthusiasm.

12. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      Red Ginseng may be good for some but it has the potential to create more anxiety for others. Let us know how it goes...

• Informative Informative x 1
    13. Cymro41
      Gloomy

Cymro41 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Google it.You can get it on line.

14. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      I agree with @Danny Boy - none of this stuff is going to work although he does promote himself a lot of natural herbs and supplements to take. Though I am sure that he will say that the real thing that is helping him is Trobalt and Keppra....

15. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Ha! I actually had that once while in Korea :)

16. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      LOL Had once what while you were in Korea? mind imagination going wild here!

17. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Korean Red Ginseng. What else where you thinking of?

18. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      On the grounds that this is not necessarily over 18's on this forum cant say LOL...thanks for clarifying...

19. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Huh? What? I'm not getting it. You're making me uncomfortable...

20. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      Sorry - forget it please - was only a joke that didnt come across on this....sorry please dont feel uncomfortable! It is really nothing at all! Back to Korean Red Ginseng.....sorry again and please forget it....nothing meant at all by it....just a joke.....ok? thanks...

21. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Okay :)

22. Poyraz

Poyraz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzos, Stress, Anxiety, Loud Music, Jaw Problems. Who knows
      Ginsenoside is listed as effective in glutamate excitotoxicty. So this may help SSRI and benzos induced tinnitus. I'll start my "Mission Tinnitus" experiment with this one. I'll let you know all here.

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      I just started taking 600mg a day of red ginseng. So far, no real change in tinnitus. It does seem to give you a headache though!

24. vaka

vaka Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced hearing loss.
      Hi,

I looked through the paper. As tinnitus is not a real problem, but hearing loss, I looked for effects related to hearing loss and I have found something. Another paper from 2014. I states that Koread Red Ginseng has an otoprotective effect. The paper was only cited 4 times since then, so who knows whether this is bullshit or not but I think it is worth a try.

Tian, C., Kim, Y. J., Lim, H. J., Kim, Y. S., Park, H. Y., & Choung, Y. H. (2014). Red ginseng delays age-related hearing and vestibular dysfunction in C57BL/6 mice. Experimental gerontology, 57, 224-232.

Here is the abstract. I have highlighted the interesting parts:
      "Since Korean red ginseng (KRG) has been proven to protect against gentamicin-induced vestibular and hearing dysfunction, the effects of KRG on age-related inner ear disorder in C57BL/6 mice were investigated. While age-related hearing loss was detected at the age of 6 months (32 kHz) and 9 months (16 kHz) in the control group, it was significantly delayed (p < 0.05) in the 150 mg/kg KRG-treated group. Vestibular dysfunction was observed in the tail-hanging and swimming tests, with significantly different severity scores and swimming times detected between the control and 150 mg/kg KRG-treated group at the age of 12 months (p < 0.05). Mice treated with 500 mg/kg KRG exhibited irritability and aggravated inner ear dysfunction. Histological observation supported the findings of hearing and vestibular function defects. In conclusion, C57BL/6 mice showed early-onset hearing loss and progressive vestibular dysfunction with aging, which were delayed by treatment with 150 mg/kg KRG. However, 500 mg/kg KRG treatment may induce aggressive behavior."

As I often have acute onset of hearing loss (for example when something was very loud or I sleep too less), which declines after 1 day, I will give it a try. But the dose of 150mg/kg per day is really much (12000mg per day for me). I think, I will start with a lower dose, maybe 4000mg per day.

Edit:
      I have found a recommendation for human: "Accordingly, by referring FDA guidelines (USFDA, 2005) for conversion of animal doses to human-equivalent doses (HEDs) (Sharma and McNeill, 2009), 150 mg/kg KRG in the current study can be transferred to HEDs (assuming the human weight to be 60 kg) as 729 mg". This means, i will take around 1000mg/day.

• Informative Informative x 2
    25. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Thank you for your research. I will take 2 tablets a day then (600mg each) so will be taking 1200mg and see if I notice anything while on the herb.

• Funny Funny x 1
    26. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Sounds interesting. How long does it take for Vinpocetine to work for you? Is it instantaneous? Does it have to build up in the system? Also, what would you say it drops your tinnitus to on a scale of 1 to 10? Thanks for any help.