The Full Orchestra

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Mike Francis, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Mike Francis
      Jaded

Mike Francis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meningococcal meningitis
      I've been living with t for over 20 years now. It's mostly in the left side but there are many different sound - frequencies - some coming from the right. It hasn't affected my hearing (although getting older obviously has). I've tried a few treatments and had it checked out by audiologists. I have all the measurements in dBSL for the two dominant sounds - a low 'humm' and higher freq. 'hiss' and the measurements for the sizable level of white noise needed to mask these.
      There seems to be little control over the sounds - distraction and mindfulness does seem to work if I wake in the middle of the night. Having a pod of a sound of nature played in a bud in the right means I can progressively lower all the sounds.
      From what I have been told and read so far it seems that the solution lies in retraining the mind not to create these sounds. I am ok with accepting the sounds and I don't notice them when actively engaged at work. Being social is something different however and I avoid chatting in noisy places because I can't hear much of what a person is saying. And it is almost too easy to fall into the internal sounds when I am in quieter social places. Not participating in in some of these situations is probably not good for my mental health and for networking.

• Like Like x 1
    2. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      20 years ...man .. That must be hard , I m at 3 years and not coping too well to be honest,

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mike Francis
      Jaded

Mike Francis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meningococcal meningitis
      Thanks for the reply - I wouldn't know now what it would be like to live without it .. but maybe I've made choices to accommodate its impact ...