The Toll of Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ford, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Ford
      Alone

Ford Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concerts and Acoustic shock.
      I had mild tinnitus which I could cope with until February last year when I was foolish enough to go to a gig without ear protection. It was a small venue and very loud... how I wish now I had walked out straight away! I suffered acoustic shock and high pitched hearing loss.

Things have grown worse since then through the development of hyperacusis/reactive tinnitus which is now so bad even brushing my hair or swallowing when drinking will cause an immediate increase in tinnitus volume.

At this point I can no longer risk leaving the house as the volume of the tinnitus has begun to increase in permanent steps everytime I hear traffic noise etc (wearing ear plugs or covering my ears with anything just makes the tinnitus louder and makes you feel trapped in with it). Having hearing tests with a private audiologist who came to my house was sheer hell as the tinnitus becomes so loud wearing headphones.

I tried hearing aids and songbird serenade system which he offered on trial but of course they just made the tinnitus react and become louder.

I don't know if tinnitus retraining would cause the tinnitus to rise in volume in the same manner? What I've been going through since the concert is sheer mental torture as my state continually worsens.

I'm 53 but you can tell by my photo that I now look ten years older from the stress I'm constantly going through.

There's no way I can mask the tinnitus... never any escape from it, and at this point my life has become a form of hell which I can't take much longer.

• Hug Hug x 4
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Ford
      I am sorry to hear of the discomfort that you are going through with tinnitus and hyperacusis. I have had both conditions very severe and with treatment improved a lot. Tinnitus retraining therapy is the route that I would take. Since you live in the UK as I do, have a word with your GP and see if you can get a referral to a hospital that practices TRT. It involves counselling and sound therapy with a hearing therapist and that's what I recommend. The treatment last up to 2 years. I have had it twice in 20 years with good results.

If you are unable get TRT, I still recommend you seeing a hearing therapist, as other treatments are available such as counselling which I feel you need. CBT and wearing white noise generators to desensitise your auditory system to treat the hyperacusis might also be available. I realise your hyperacusis is severe but staying at home and not going out isn't a good idea. I have written an article on hyperacusis and the treatments for it, that you can read by clicking on the link below. I have also written one for tinnitus and treatments, in the link below that you might find helpful.

Hope you start to feel better soon.
      All the best
      Michael

Treatment is available so have a word with your GP and get referred to ENT

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ford
      Alone

Ford Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concerts and Acoustic shock.
      Thanks Michael for taking the time to reply. It's helpful to know that someone has gone through the hell I'm now going through and come out the other side stronger. My doctor has begun the process of getting me an ENT appointment at Sheffield so I will ask about TRT when I'm there. I've been referred to the ENT in my local town twice. First I was told to go away and live with it, and the second time given hearing aids which unfortunately just make the tinnitus louder, as you will know. It's crazy that things like taking a shower or the hiss of gas from the gas fire make my tinnitus react and increase in volume... at the moment I feel so stressed and ill I fall asleep at night wondering if I'll still be alive come the morning.

Thank you for taking the time to reply with advice, encouragement, and good wishes, it's a ray of light in the darkness.

John

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Ford
      HI John,
      You are welcome. I have been there believe me I know what you're going through. If you manage to read my articles I believe it covers most things to do with tinnitus and hyperacusis. Coping methods and treatments. Try not to sleep in a quiet room. Use a sound machine. I mention this in my links.
      Take care and hope you start to feel better soon.
      If you need any more help please ask someone will always try to help.
      Bye for now
      Michael

PS: If it is possible, try and find out which hospital your GP is refering you to as not all hospitals practice TRT. It is an expensive treatment, so it's best to try and found out before what treatments are available. If you can't get TRT other treatments can still help so don't give up hope.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Pomme
      Crappy

Pomme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts and Stress
      @Ford
      Hi John
      How are you getting on these days ? Hope you are ok.
      Pomme

6. Joanne Philps
      Alienated

Joanne Philps Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flight
      I'm there with you Ford, cannot believe the volume in both ears never a second of relief, my birthday last week the first ever I didn't want to have!

• Hug Hug x 2