Threshold Testing in Conjuction with Hyperacusis & Tinnitus Treatment

Discussion in 'Support' started by Per, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      I'm awaiting my second ENT assessment, as much as I dislike ENT docs. I need a referral from them to see an audiologist to treat my H. I've heard some nasty stuff about threshold measuring and some say both their T and H got worse after they went trough a threshold test. I called the audiologist to make sure I didn't have to do one but she said it was cruical for her to measure my sound level threshold, when I told her I didn't want to do that she sounded almost a little pissed off and she told me that no patient have ever complained of any bad aftermaths. Still, I talked to a T sufferer just yesterday that told me to avoid tests like that cause it only makes the condition worse.

Any experiences on this? Should I try and see or should I state my claim and refuse? I want to go to an audiologist to see if white noise treatment can improve my H. I have to visit the ENT once again cause they are the only one that can refer me to an audilogist, thats how the system works here.

2. NeoM
      Moonlighting

NeoM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/31/2013
      Did you end up getting these tests? I assume you mean the Loudness Discomfort Tests?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Yes, I did take the test. I don't know if there is a global test system or if the test itself varies from place to place. My test was taken in conjunction with my conventional hearing test and I survived. Based on that threshold test the audiologist calibrated a white noise generator that I actually picked up last Thursday, if it wasn't for the fact that it broke down after only ONE day I would be wearing it now. The test itself wasn't as discomforting as I feared, when something is called a discomfort test one would expect something discomforting after all. I guess they never reached a point of large discomfort cause I pressed the button before it became too mad, so I don't know how exact those tests are. There is a human factor in this after all. Anyways, the audiologist meant the test clearly showed severe H. But I guess I already knew.

4. NeoM
      Moonlighting

NeoM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/31/2013
      Severe H? Is that a DB level below 50?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      I have no idea. The H test is rather impossible for me to read from my audiogram. I was given feedback verbally after the test and was told my threshold levels showed clear and significant signs of H. I'm back to wearing my white noise generators again today after a small break due to technical issues. I'll report back to the forum if this has any affect in the future, but it will take time. Perhaps 6-9 months or even more. Don't know yet.

6. NeoM
      Moonlighting

NeoM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/31/2013
      I was just curious because severe H to me is even conversation or whispers cause discomfort.

The hyperacusis in my left ear is acting up because it was re-aggravated by someone yelling again. The hyperacusis is worse than the tinnitus.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      I believe you are referring to Misophonia, I know that some people that's battling Misophonia can't even tolerate whispers. In case of H it's typically accompanied by T whilst Misophonia is purely a psychiatric disorder although it creates physical effects . H is extremely annoying as you know all too well. The thing with my H is that its generating physical pain, especially in the midrange and treble areas. Worst noises are loud women voice, kids screaming, air pressure (as in valves venting air from trams and buses etc) and construction work. In my case I also have a lot of TTTS. Lowered reflex threshold for tensor tympani contraction is activated by the perception/anticipation of loud sound, and is called tonic tensor tympani syndrome (TTTS)

8. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hey Per, I didnt realize until reading this post that you were trying sound generators for your hyperacusis. Just wanted to wish you good luck and hope the treatment works. They told me Neuromonics is the same way: it will take months to notice results, if there are any.

I though, in the beginning, I might have H as well as my T. But that extreme sensitivity seems to have gone away.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Yeah LadyDi, I'm hearing white noise all the hours of the day now with one generator on each year. Im trying to wear it all day long except from when I work out, cause it doesn't tolerate moisture or sweat. Im not supposed to have it on during sleep either.

My audiologist didn't know how long I'm gonna wear the sound generator but she said some have it on for 5 months, others for 9 months. Anyway, Im having my second tolerance check in December to see if its already giving me a higher H threshold. Guess theres plenty tests to be taken during 2014 as well. Im starting a new job in January so Im a bit anxious to what my employer will say when they see me with an apparatus attached to my both ears, guess I'll have to explained what it is to my closest superior, or else everyone would start asking. You know how people can be at an office.

Good thing you suddenly lost your H LadyDi, it's really annoying as you know. Im fighting a two headed troll here, one with the T and the other one with H. The audiologist said it was important to treat H before going into any T therapy, so my T therapy is in April 2014 and I hope that's not too early. At least I'm on a roll now with the H treatment and trully hope it can get better, most people that had severe H finally experienced relief after some time.

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      @NeoM said "The hyperacusis is worse than the tinnitus."

This isn't typically the case?? The H (if that's what I have) is far, far worse than the T.