Time Out from Going Mad to Say Hi!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by barnacle, Mar 1, 2016.

1. barnacle
      Worried

barnacle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise et al.
      First, thanks to all those who run and contribute to this site. Its been a big help knowing that there are others in the same boat who have learnt to cope with T.
      Six months ago I was happily married, "trying" for babies, and finishing off a phd. Now I'm single, struggle to focus long enough to write a shopping list, am grieving for the life I've lost and blaming myself for losing it; and am lower than I have ever been or could ever imagine being. I had quite loud T from September last year and then this year it got much louder. I use to be able to mask it but now it seems to climb on top of whatever masking sound I put on and gets even louder. My family have been great but no one (including me) really knows what to do to help. My big question is whether it is possible to be happy again with quite loud tinnitus and also is TRT a good idea? Its not like I want to end it all, I want to try and have a good life still, but at the moment I'm not sure that I can see how.
      Anyhow, just wanted to say hello. Thanks

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      A warm welcome to the forum barnacle.

Life will get better with tinnitus over time and getting the support with CBT or TRT will help you with the unwanted emotions tinnitus can cause ....lots of love glynis

• Useful Useful x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      barnacle
      Worried

barnacle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise et al.
      Thanks Glynis. And thanks for all your good TT work.:)

• Like Like x 1
    4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Members here understand your struggle and pain from T. We have been where you are now. I had the same question you are having, whether happy life can be back after suffering so much from the initial hell of T. To me, the best way to find such answers is to read up as many success stories as possible to get some idea if life can be happy or normal again. That is exactly what I did at first when my T was new and sufferings were horrible. I tell you I read lots and lots of success stories, and the answer is a resounding 'YES'. From there, I began to have hope and my nerves calmed down much which help to make T more manageable (but I also had severe hyperacusis on top of T). I learned to copy success from others and tried out their strategies (plus some of my own) and today I live a normal and absolutely enjoyable life. You can too. Keep up the hope. Here is my story if you are interested to read it. All the best and God bless your recovery.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/from-darkness-to-light-how-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

• Like Like x 1
    5. glennr
      Wishful

glennr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Welcome! :)

Its a tough ride indeed, but most people seem to overcome it some way or another!

Best wishes and hope it gets better for you soon!

• Winner Winner x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      barnacle
      Worried

barnacle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise et al.
      Hi Billie
      Thanks for your kind words and good advice. Have already looked at and got a lot of hope and help from your story. Will keep busy and try and get through these darkest of days and keep my fingers crossed for better times ahead.
      btw just in case this is useful for anyone else, I found that theDavid Attenborough Blue Planet DVDs (turned down lowish) is the best thing for background sound while trying to work. It is lots of sound of waves and sea birds and the occasional whale and that kind of thing and Attenborough's voice is pretty soporific.
      Though I think they are starting to drive some family members a bit crazy!

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      barnacle
      Worried

barnacle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise et al.
      Thanks glennr. Hope you are doing OK and that things go well for you in the future.

• Like Like x 1