Tinactin (Tolnaftate) — Is It Ototoxic? Or Safe for Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Brooklyn NY, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Brooklyn NY

Brooklyn NY Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 5, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably pepto bismo and aspercreme
      Hi, I was wondering if anyone out there knows if this is a safe medication? Thanks very much.

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Brooklyn NY

Tinnitus Since:
      November 5, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you very much for checking those lists. Every time I use any type of medication, I start to panic...

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If you live in New York, then that is the brand name that ought to be on those lists if the drug is suspected to be ototoxic. Save those two URLs and check those lists before taking any new medications. The second list lists even the drugs that cause problems for a very small fraction of people. It lists Tylenol, and you will find very few (if any) posts on this forum where the poster suspects they got a spike as a result of taking Tylenol. So if it is not on the second list, you don't need to worry about it. If it is on the first list, seriously consider not taking it. At least make sure to ask your doctor whether there are alternatives that are less ototoxic.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Brooklyn NY

Tinnitus Since:
      November 5, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, I was just given a prescription for a skin cream that I found on the secondary drug list, ketoconazole, anti fungal topical cream. It is on the same list as Tylenol. I need to get rid of a foot infection, but is this too risky for my ears? Thank you very much..

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      For what it is worth, there is only one person on this site who thinks that this drug was bad for them.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-spike-after-mri.29032/#post-335960
      To read more about his experience with this drug, you an also go to his profile page and click on the "Information" tab
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/members/bur547.29529/

I think I would take a risk and use it...

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Brooklyn NY

Tinnitus Since:
      November 5, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, thanks your input on this topic. Somehow, my ears are being affected by the medication. The ringing increases for about 8 hours and then goes back down. However, the medication is helping the problem. I am using as little as possible. It looks like I would need a few more days to clear up the problem. Do you think I’m risking permanently increased tinnitus by continued use? Thanks.....

8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The fact that it is on the second list and that one person on this forum thinks this drug has hurt them, makes me think that the risk of a permanent spike exists. However, the fact that it is not on the first list and the fact that only one person posted about this drug on this forum, makes me think that the risk is very small. Personally, I would take the risk, especially since it is only for a couple more days. However, I can see how one might choose to not take any risks, with so much on the line. I guess ultimately everything depends on how bothersome is the health problem you are trying to cure with this drug. If it is something minor, then it is not worth it.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Brooklyn NY

Tinnitus Since:
      November 5, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for your advice. It is for a fungal infection , could be a big problem if not treated properly. I let it go too long because I was afraid of this very situation. Like everything else with this miserable condition, it is a crapshoot...

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Brooklyn NY

Tinnitus Since:
      November 5, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The worst part of this, I might add, is that my ent and dermatologist both have not return my calls . They both don’t take tinnitus very seriously at all. Very disheartening...

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Especially if it spreads to the ear. Treat it and don't worry about it.

Someone here wrote about getting a spike after using a lot of polysporin (that contains ototoxic medication in it) on bloody knuckles. I have been using it on minor skin irritations. So perhaps it is a good idea to not get it get into your blood stream.

If it is for your feet, then again that is a good news, as I would feel much worse about using it somewhere near the ear.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Brooklyn NY

Tinnitus Since:
      November 5, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You make some excellent points, and I appreciate your taking the time to answer me. I will use it sparingly and hope the problem clears up quickly...

• Like Like x 1