Tinnitus After a Loud Concert — ENT Won't Prescribe Prednisone

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Ola, Jul 27, 2022.

1. Ola

Ola Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Concert: acoustic trauma
      Hi all,

I’m new to Tinnitus Talk and to tinnitus I’m general.

I got tinnitus in my right ear from a very loud 3 hour concert. I also had muffled hearing, but the hearing had cleared up by Saturday afternoon. The tinnitus hadn’t. I went to an ENT on Monday, who suggested that I wait it out a few weeks. I had a couple of tests which showed normal tympanometry levels, and a normal hearing range from 250 Hz to 8 kHz (no hearing loss).

I wanted to get on Prednisone but the ENT wouldn’t prescribe it to me. I’m now worried that if I don’t get the Prednisone, my tinnitus won’t settle down and will become permanent.

My tinnitus is very high pitched, at about 14 kHz. I can ignore it most times except when I’m in a quiet room or trying to concentrate at work. To my knowledge I don’t have TMJ, ear pressure, hyperacusis, hearing loss or other problems associated with tinnitus.

As the ENT didn’t prescribe Prednisone for me, I’m currently taking lipoflavonoids and Magnesium supplements.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ola

Ola Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I’ve heard that Prednisone can actually make tinnitus worse, but the ringing in my head is so unbearable that I feel like I need to try something, anything to soothe it.

I’ve also read in these forums that the best thing to do when you first get tinnitus is to wait, but this is day 6 and it’s still going strong.

3. tniuf
      Banhappy

tniuf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1st 2016, 2nd 2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If it's not from meds it doesn't matter, avoid concerts
      It seems Prednisone is prescribed very easily in some countries, yet not prescribed in other countries. Are you from the UK by any chance?

In any case I think it's great you can only hear your tinnitus only in quite rooms and not all the time, this is already an improvement.

• Genius Genius x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ola

Ola Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I’m from the US. I think it’s a country by country case because I got Prednisone relatively easily in Canada.

5. Óscar PP
      Psychedelic

Óscar PP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Coronavirus
      In order to get Prednisone you have to go the ER and say that you've suddenly lost your hearing and act freaked out.

Doctors don't give a s*** about tinnitus, but some do take the thing more seriously if they believe you've suffered from sudden hearing loss and Prednisone just happens to be the treatment for it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. Stuart-T
      Thinking

Stuart-T Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax or COVID-19 infection
      That's not going to be easy - as the OP is already on the system and has seen the ENT people.

7. Óscar PP
      Psychedelic

Óscar PP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Coronavirus
      Well, sudden hearing loss can occur at any time, even if you had an audiogram yesterday, you could get sudden hearing loss today, right?

The key thing is to look scared, they probably even won't do another audiogram (if so, take it and fake it) and they'll just prescribe the Prednisone right away.

8. Stuart-T
      Thinking

Stuart-T Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax or COVID-19 infection
      It is worth a try.

9. benjd2016
      Irritated

benjd2016 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Don't count on it. Some doctors are assholes.

• Winner Winner x 1