Tinnitus and Full Feeling in Ears (LPR?)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Kell, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Kell

Kell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      front row indoor concert-in front of speaker
      I've had tinnitus since April 2018. It does "seem" like it is getting better, ie: I can have 2 days with almost no tinnitus at all - usually followed by a day or two of high or "normal" amount.

I've always felt like it is affected by either barometric pressure, or blood pressure or something. (When I am out on our boat, on the lake, even swimming - NOTHING. No tinnitus at all.) I've noticed my ears feel slightly full sometimes and it seems it's when it's ringing loud. Maybe I am noticing it because I'm noticing the tinnitus -- I DON'T KNOW. :dunno: I've also had night time (in particular) issues with a lot of mucus in my throat, or not so much, but still coughing... more dry - like there is always something in my throat -- and I am suffering from GERD or something, particularly again at night = can't sleep, stomach distress, heartburn, burping, gas you name it - I'm a BEAUT. :) I'm about 15-20 lbs. overweight and can not seem to lose at all.

Today I learned of LPR - laryngopharyngeal reflux... I think this is what I have! From what I'm reading, it's related to GERD -- and to tinnitus ultimately! Could it be that I have been right all this time that's it's fluid/pressure inside my ears? Has anyone here had any success with being treated for GERD/LPR and had it help your tinnitus?

Thank you in advance for any info. I did search and read a few things on here but nothing I found answered this question about - can there be relief in treating LPR?

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kell

Kell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ok well, thought I'd pick some brains. lol -- probably not the best lot to pick brains from, if they're anything like mine which has been quite a disappointment to me in the last year and a half.

3. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started with a cold, possibly worsened by medication/noise
      By fluid/pressure do you mean fluid in the middle ear or hydrops in the inner ear? Can hydrops in the inner ear give a sense of ear fullness?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kell

Kell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      They sometimes just feel "fuller" inside than others, like moisture in there deep or something. Sometimes when the T is loud, I'll press my ears closed and it may feel full, sometimes a little "squeak" inside. I can also hear "bells" when I close them off completely - when ears open, all I hear is basically "hissing". I have a chronic cough, like phlegm all the time in my esophagus.. especially after eating something. I think it's a reflux situation in my esophagus, and I wonder if the whole head thing is compromised somehow, I don't know. Just looking for that elusive connection we all search for - that doesn't seem to exist...

5. Deniseh

Deniseh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly b12/folic acid deficiency and GERD
      @Kell
      Just saw your post and wanted to say that I’m sure there’s a distinct link between GERD/LPR and tinnitus.

I’ve recently seen an ENT consultant as I have just started having tinnitus along with ear pressure and fullness in my left ear, had a MRI and all the various tests, nothing specific found but my consultant thinks that it’s caused by acid reflux as she could see it had affected my larynx (possibly LPR) and also because I was b12/folic acid deficient which apparently causes neurological problems Including tinnitus, anyway she advised me that it could be months b4 any
      improvement but thinks it should all resolve itself eventually so I live in hope

How are thing with you now?

6. Core2Duo

Core2Duo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      A friend of mine had it. Omeprazole solved it. Of course an ENT diagnosed it first.

7. oceanofsound26
      Dreaming

oceanofsound26 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ, Neck Issues, and Accompanying Postural Deviations.
      Hi @Kell -
      Tinnitus fluctuates for a lot of us throughout the day and over the course of the week or longer as well, so you are not alone in this. Don't get discouraged. Whether it is really is getting better or only if you perceive it as getting better, either is a step in the right direction.
      Tinnitus can be caused and exacerbated by barotrauma (e.g., when descending quickly from altitude after a long flight), but this type usually can resolve quicker than some after the equalizing the pressure in the middle ear and draining any built up liquid that may have accumulated. Tinnitus can also be caused or worsened by high blood pressure, but from what I have read, tinnitus traceable to blood flow problems is usually pulsatile (or syncs with your pulse/heartbeat).
      Tinnitus can also be caused or worsened by stress and anxiety, so when you are on the boat, you may have these under control, so your tinnitus improves in this situation or you are paying it less notice under those circumstances. If this is the case, take steps to relax and de-stress through doing whatever calms like meditation, yoga, light exercise, or a light hobby that does not require a lot of thinking.
      Definitely possible as ear fullness make your tinnitus worse or draw your attention to it resulting in a perceived localized spike.
      This can be any number of things from GERD to LPR to IBS to Dehydration to Sinusitis to an Upper Respiratory Infection to a combination of these things. All of these could also be a stress response as well as it seems like you might not be sleeping well and adding prolonged poor sleep/insomnia and anxiety will only make the situation worse.

If you have chronic post-nasal drip and clogged sinuses, your Eustachian Tubes may not be draining properly especially if your sinuses are blocked up. Both the sinuses and Eustachian Tubes drain into the throat. If your throat is dry and scratchy and you are coughing a lot, your sleeping environment may be a little too cold and dry. Try turning up the temperature on the thermostat to warm it up a bit and run a humidifier to combat the dryness as well. Be sure to breath thru your nose as well which is the body's natural humidifier. If you sinuses are clogged at night, you may unknowingly be breathing thru your mouth at night. Breathing thru your mouth at night can cause throat issues, your cough, and contribute to your sinus problems. At night I use Breathe Right Nasal Strips (https://www.amazon.com/Breathe-Right-Nasal-Strips-Large/dp/B07Y8VSC7W) to keep my nasal passages open at night which has helped a lot. You should take steps to improve Eustachian Tube function and reduce potential frequency of Eustachian Tube Dysfunction (ETD). A helpful thread for this:

Here Is How I Solved My Tinnitus — New Protocols and Supplements To Try
      Learning about something like LPR and self-diagnosing yourself is very different from receiving a formal diagnosis from a medical doctor. Pursuing self-diagnoses will only put you in a state of psychosis and contribute to this unfortunate and detrimental feedback loop you are caught in. It is perfectly possible that you have been right about GERD/LPR, but make sure a medical professional confirms it. Make an appointment your GP and get a referral to an ENT so you can discuss your concerns with them. All of this information have included in your post when organized into a cohesive structure will you prepare for your doctors appointments.

GERD and LRP can definitely cause tinnitus thru some sort of mechanism. Identifying and treating that mechanism may reduce your tinnitus and improve your situation. Tinnitus is usually caused by an underlying condition, so identifying and treating it usually brings relief. Keep in mind if GERD and/or LPR are confirmed, lifestyle changes like increased physical activity, changing your diet, and changes to your sleep habits are also worth pursuing. Also, try some things to drain your Eustachian Tubes and Sinuses during the day to see if it helps at all. Here are some quick ways of doing that:

20 Second Miracle Technique for Instant...

MASSAGE HERE FOR SINUS DRAINAGE & UNCLOG...

A few other threads you may find helpful -

Can GERD Cause Tinnitus?

Diagnosed with GERD & Laryngopharyngeal Reflux. Feeling Sad. Have Some Questions.

Good luck with everything moving forward.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. oceanofsound26
      Dreaming

oceanofsound26 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ, Neck Issues, and Accompanying Postural Deviations.
      Be weary of prolonged use of Omeprazole since it is ototoxic.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Deniseh

Deniseh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly b12/folic acid deficiency and GERD
      @oceanofsound26

Just watched your link for opening Eustachian tube and it really worked, still feeling the gunk dripping down my throat going to keep trying this and maybe try the curcumin as well and see how that goes

thanks for the tip x

10. Kaybee60

Kaybee60 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I know the original poster hasn't been around for a couple of years but I just came across this thread.

I started experiencing tinnitus about 10 years ago with the periodic ringing in my ears and that's how it continued. No cause identified. I had a hearing test done and there was no problem with that.

Skip ahead 5 years and I start noticing what I believed was my pulse in my ears. This caused me concern to which my doctor explained it could be something to do with my heart or it could be nothing (not a comforting diagnosis).

Four more years go by when I develop a number of symptoms that are diagnosed as laryngopharyngeal reflux but only through my own research do I find out pulsatile tinnitus is related to it and can affect your throat and sinus cavities as well.

After 6 months treating my laryngopharyngeal reflux by diet changes, things have changed significantly.

11. Lukee

Lukee Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wim Hof Breathing Exercises
      LPR is very tricky because it’s so hard to diagnose. You really need to find a qualified doctor who has experience with it in terms of diagnosing and treating. LPR is also tricky to treat because it responds to PPIs for some and not for others. Some experts say it’s caused by too much acidity while some say it’s caused by not enough acid in the stomach. One of the best solutions I understand is using Gaviscon Advance with some algae in it. It’s not available in the US but is OTC in Canada and the UK and I believe can be bought on Amazon.

Either way, LPR can cause ETD, tinnitus and asthma. I’m glad @Kaybee60 has seen some improvements. Have you noticed your tinnitus getting better?