Tinnitus as a Result of Labyrinthitis — Here's What I've Already Tried, What Else Could I Try?

Discussion in 'Support' started by TomStrong, Apr 21, 2022.

1. TomStrong

TomStrong Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      labyrinthitis
      My tinnitus started as a result of labyrinthitis 2.5 months ago (possibly caused by COVID-19). Audiogram clearly show small hearing damage.

I have tried:
      • A round of Prednisone (after 1 month of onset of labyrinthitis) 60 mg x3, 50 mg x3, ... It helped a lot.
      • Got Mirtazapine for sleep. It seems to quiet my tinnitus down a little.
      • High doses of vitamin C for 2 weeks. Got a small improvement maybe.
      • Supplements to improve mitochondrial functions (NADH, CoQ10, R-Lipoic Acid, NAC, Resveratrol, vitamin E), as well as B-complex, Omega, Magnesium, vitamin D3. I made sure not to overdose on any. These seemed to help more with long COVID-19 than tinnitus.
      • Started lately using LLLT, 5mW 650nm, 20 minutes x 2 per day. Maybe it has helped a little. Soon going to start with a stronger 50mW version.
      (I don't have any underlying conditions like insulin resistance and blood tests are ok. I'm 30.)

Is there anything else that could help? Please let me know ;)

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. Óscar PP
      Psychedelic

Óscar PP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Coronavirus
      You're doing pretty much everything by the book, amigo.

If you want to make Bezos a little richer you can also add in Nicotinamide Riboside which is a precursor of NAD+ and some tinnitus (and ME/CFS) sufferers claim it has helped them a great deal.

There's also HBOT but some people experience permanent worsenings from it so I wouldn't do it just in case.

3. CC_16

CC_16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Upper respiratory infection
      Try another round of steroids, and antibiotics.

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      You could try Cinnarizine 15mg. It might help. Prochlorperazine or Betahistine might help too.

I have Meniere's Disease.

Glynis

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TomStrong

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      labyrinthitis
      Thank you for all of your replies.

@Óscar PP, today I tried the HBOT. I know it is a bit late but I've read somewhere online that it makes sense up to 3 months. I took 100 mg of Nicotinamide Riboside few weeks ago and it definitely helped with the fatigue. I used that supplement in the past. I decided not to take it now because it messes my sleep. I based my decisions on this:

Mitochondria—Fundamental to Life and Health

@CC_16, it's an interesting point. Thanks.

@glynis, I do not suspect Meniere's Disease. In fact I was misdiagnosed and I took entire package of Betahistine.

6. scotty03874

scotty03874 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Slap to the ear / Leading to more issues after ear surgery
      The LLLT that I did in Florida helped my tinnitus a lot. He was trained by Dr. Wilden. He uses the same Lumomed clinical laser.

• Winner Winner x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TomStrong

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      labyrinthitis
      @scotty03874, thank you for your reply. Was it around 660 nm?

8. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I have not been on here for a while. I still struggle daily with severe bilateral tinnitus due to Meniere's disease.

I now have dB high-frequency hearing loss in both ears, along with severe tinnitus. My hearing loss is progressing. My ears sound like a gas oven on full 24/7.

Life can be tough, but never give up! Fight the fight as we deserve to be happy.

Glynis

• Hug Hug x 6