Tinnitus Clinic Visit Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Support' started by Gavs, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Gavs

Gavs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high frequency hearing loss
      Hi I'm going to the tinitus clinic tomorrow and will be given 2 hearing aids for my high frequency hearing loss and tinituses in both ears. I will also get cbt. Do you think it will help? I'm struggling with depression and anxiety and can't cope

2. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      Hey Gavs I think once you deal with the Depression and anxiety that your T will be more acceptable. I find myself more troubled by T if i'm in a depressive state...... T is a huge battle in itself then throw depression and anxiety into the mix and it just seems insurmountable .
      Good Luck

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gavs

Gavs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks Carlos, I don't want meds so going with cbt at the tinitus clinic in london. I pray that with the tinitus under control I can't start fighting depression and anxiety. I have pulsatile tinitus in left ear and high pitch buzzing in right ear.

4. Carlos1

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      Gavs if you can get D and A under control without meds that's obviously the way to go.
      But if you down the road need meds don't beat yourself up over it ....Just tell yourself that's its temporary till you start feeling better.
      good luck

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gavs

Gavs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Carlos I've been depressed since last june. I tried meds but they make the tinituses louder so I'm stuck. I tried a few different ones

6. Carlos1

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      I wish you the best Gavs
      Stay strong and keep fighting

7. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hey @Gavs, good luck with your clinic visit.

It sounds to me like this is a good step. I personally think that CBT is one of the best things you can do if you are seriously bothered by your tinnitus. It helped me tremendously. I was in therapy for about seven months, went every week and worked hard with my therapist. Here in the states, the ENT's medical association now recommends doctors tell all of their patients with disturbing tinnitus about CBT. Opinions here at TT will vary but it worked for me.

Also, I used medication for extreme anxiety/rolling panic attacks for about a year after my Tinnitus onset. Today, I don't take meds at all. So if you really need them, you might want to try them -- with extreme caution and under a doctor's supervision. But you may find with the CBT that you don't need medications.

I personally don't use in-ear hearing aids. But others here at TT have them and have found them helpful. Again, it will vary from person to person. You might search the forums for their comments.

Let us know how it goes. Hang in there.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gavs

Gavs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks ladydi,
      My depression started because I got engaged but didn't want to let go of achieving American dream and the girl was not right but pressures. That lead me to high frequency hearing loss and tinituses in both ears. I tried meds but couldn't handle side effects. So it's cbt or nothing. I lost my career, friends, looks, eyes issues and back and neck problems. But the worst is tinituses and hearing loss. In 8 months I've lost everything and trying to cope day to day. Some days just wanna give up but I hear it gets easier in time.

9. jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

@Gavs , how old are you and how much hearing loss do you have in each ear? Do you have an idea of the frequencies and db of your loss?

Also, how was your hearing loss caused? I've never heard of hearing loss coming from stress, it usually is noise induced or something else.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    10. Nick Pyzik
      Depressed

Nick Pyzik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to in-ear headphones & playing in a band
      One does not get hearing loss from such a thing. I'm sorry about what's going on though.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gavs

Gavs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have high frequency sensorineural hearing loss in both ears. I travelled back from India in Oct and I believe it was from The Flight. . It was noise induced the clinic stated.