Tinnitus Day 12ish, ENT Just Scared the Crap Out of Me.

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ryan001, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Ryan001

Ryan001 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My tinnitus developed about 12-14 days ago. I'm 36, a bit of high blood pressure but overall pretty healthy. I was not around any loud noises, it just came out of nowhere. First a ringing in my right ear that I would only notice if I thought about it. As-of 4-5 days ago, my left ear is so loud I cant think of anything else. 24/7 high pitch ringing.

Went to the ENT today. I did the Audio test at the ENT and scored low on the high-frequency sounds. The same sounds as my T. I told the doctor it felt like the T was drowning out the high frequency. He didn't seem to buy that. He is convinced my hearing is going.

When I mentioned my dad had bad hearing (due to being around heavy machinery), the ENT was even more convinced my hearing is going.

He told me it was "Up to me" if I wanted to try medication for a possible ear virus. I said yes and now Im on a 12 day pack of Prednisone.

He really didn't ask about any other health conditions. He didn't seem to care about my high blood pressure or anything else that might be causing the T.

My first thought leaving the office was to get a second opinion. The high pitch is ridiculously loud in my left ear. Using a white noise machine but I have not been sleeping well, if at all.

What do you all think of this? The ENT made it seem like this was a forever thing.

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      If you're comfortable, can you post your audiogram?

If you have sensorineural losses in the high frequencies, then it is possible that it is a forever thing, but if you just "lost them suddenly" there is a chance at a recovery. You're already following the traditional protocol with steroids, so let's how you recover those losses. You will probably do another audiogram after the Prednisone treatment so you can compare.

If your dad had bad hearing due to machinery, it doesn't sound like it's something that would be genetically transferred to you.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ryan001

Ryan001 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes, absolutely. They didnt give me a copy when I left so I get them and post tomorrow morning.