Tinnitus Documentaries (The Noise, The Loud Silence, Devil's Symphony, etc.)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Markku, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      • Like Like x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      • Like Like x 1
    3. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      My Tinnitus Sounds Like... - Devil's Symphony (part 1)

My Tinnitus Sounds Like... - Devil's...

It's Called Tinnitus? - Devil's Symphony (part 2)

It's Called Tinnitus? - Devil's...

Strange Tinnitus Remedies - Devil's Symphony (part 3)

Strange Tinnitus Remedies - Devil's...

Solving the Tinnitus Riddle - Devil's Symphony (part 4)

Solving the Tinnitus Riddle - Devil's...

Hope in Tinnitus - Devil's Symphony (part 5)

Hope in Tinnitus - Devil's Symphony (part 5)

• Like Like x 1
    4. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Calin --- Great find! I just watched Part 1 and Part 5 of "The Devil's Symphony". Part 5 echoes what I believe, about putting one foot in front of the other, and just concentrating on getting through one day at a time. After all, each of us has only one life, and we should not let tinnitus keep us from reaching our life goals.

I enjoyed watching this, and hope others will watch this profound, and ultimately uplifting, film about tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    5. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Yes... one day at a time! Less suffering! ;)
      Glad you enjoyed it.

It is also nice to know that we are not alone with this and people are speaking out!

6. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      Just want to bump this up for newbies, please watch and share, it's a great insight into this madness.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      Just want to bump it again, also just to add some content, here's another video about action heroes:

Half-deaf action heroes with tinnitus

8. frohike
      Approved

frohike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I thought the beeping at the end was my T acting up, scared the hell out of me. I have friends that have ringing on their ears, and don't give a f... With 1 in 10 in the UK, the government should really publish some warning on the telly as he says.

9. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Well, I post this on a few threads already, LOL. But this is the thread for tinnitus video and with a video of William Shatner. So I will post this again of Shatner and David Letterman talking about their T. When I first watched this video, I had a good laugh (though my T was still very distressing for me back then).

• Creative Creative x 1
    10. billie48
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      This is a tinnitus short film made by a young European lady Zoe Cartwright. She went to the Yuku forum many years ago to introduce her film when I was new with T. She made the film as a university project. She is an inspiration to me in my struggle with tinnitus, prompting me to accept my T regardless.

She told us her story that she turned completely deaf at young 15. Her T is unmaskable due to her deafness. How tough is it to handle the scream without any ability to mask? Tough indeed. I admire her courage and stamina. What impresses me most is her decision to accept T, however loud and %(#%*^! unbearable. She said it is either acceptance or utter misery for the rest of her life. So she chooses to accept T and move on with her young life. She said she loves the beauty of the visible world and she loves diving. That is probably why she has scenes of underwater shots. She also moved on to achieve her goal to attend university where she made her film. You may have a tough time understanding what she narrates in the film due to her accent. But in this site, Zoe came to explain herself in the comment: http://www.grumpyoldeafies.com/2008/05/film_experience_of_tinnitus.html

Here is her film:
      Tinnitus Short Film - 24.7.52.10.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Not exactly a full-blown documentary, but just wanted to post this Sounds of Tinnitus video we did for our fundraising campaign earlier this year.

Featuring some of our members!

Tinnitus Talk: Sounds of Tinnitus

• Like Like x 1
    12. UserID
      Lucky

UserID Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/1972
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artillery
      I am the fellow to the left on the DS Part 2 scene above. I've had T since 1972 as a result of artillery and the use of pneumatic tools while serving as a US Navy sailor. For this disability, I receive a whopping $129 monthly compensation. Forty-two years with it and I still hear it, but react to it much less than at the beginning.

I've not had a talk with Mike Cohen in years, although we will for all our lives remain good friends. The ex-railroad worker on the documentary, Ron Harner, lives about an hour from my house. We talk on occasion still, after perhaps ten years following the filming of "The Devil's Symphony".

You become a kind of family with others who understand your plight, which is a good thing. They're great people who are there anytime I might need a word of encouragement, or they need from me. And that's what we're all here for, really, to share and listen.

I'm always open to anyone who would like to write to me, to write of their day or moment. My best aid has been to learn what it is to relax, to continue with sound therapy and to take on a kind of acceptance of the things I cannot change, all of which has brought me to near habituation. I'm certainly a lot better off than I was during the filming of DS.

God be with us all,
      David

13. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Another good tinnitus documentary: Tinnitus Absence of Silence

It features a variety of people and musicians. Well done and informative.

Tinnitus Absence of Silence

14. billie48
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Once again I like to post the tinnitus short film by a young European lady Zoe Cartwright. She was completely deaf at 15 and has loud unmaskable tinnitus. While it would be nice to have silence (as she said so in the film), she nevertheless decides to accept the reality of her T and moves on with pursuing her life's goals one of which was to attend university. Against all odds, she made it to university and there she made this short film.

You may have a tough time understanding what she narrates in the film due to her accent as she is from some northern European country. But in this site, Zoe came to explain herself in the comment section and you can understand her narration better:
      http://www.grumpyoldeafies.com/2008/05/film_experience_of_tinnitus.html

How does she view her life in face of deafness and loud unmaskable T? Here in one of the replies she made in the comment section of the above link summarizes it (just incredible positivity & stamina which is so touching to witness):

Dear Dj, Laurence, Chris and Eddie,
      Cheers for your lovely comments guys, it really makes me smile :)
      I'm intrigued about Eddie's message regarding "looking at it in the wrong perspective" - the film was not designed to bring out the violin strings or moan about tinnitus. It was simply about showing a different perspective walking around with a noise that can be dominating - which therefore feels surreal. I love my life, and I can honestly say I am happy - Tinnitus is just a slice of my life.
      Thanks again.
      Zoe.

Here is her film and I hope you come out realizing her courage and positivity to climb this incredibly tough mountain in her young life. She has been a guiding light for me and I hope you can be inspired by her story too. I think she is a film director now:
      (by the way, the film title of 24.7.52.10 means she has had her loud, unmaskable tinnitus 7/24 & 52 weeks a year for 10 years at the time of making this film)

Tinnitus Short Film - 24.7.52.10.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. UserID
      Lucky

UserID Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/1972
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artillery
      Yes, Billie, an excellent video. Very revealing to the outsider as well as the sufferer. Thanks for bringing it up. I watched it when it first came out and was astonished to find what this woman is able to endure.
      David

16. billie48
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Hi David, ya, she has been a guiding light for me as well as a few others. Simply amazing for a young pretty girl to have the stamina to face up to loud unmaskable T for the rest of her life and yet she triumphs over it.

17. Mpt

Mpt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      I greatly admire this young woman, no human being should have to endure what she does, or what anyone with obtrusive tinnitus endures... I think one thing that needs to be stressed is that while life quality (the meaning you make from loving others, work, etc) can be better than before with intrusive tinnitus, quality of life cannot--- it is worse, pure and simple... I think that distinctions needs to be made loud and clear so that tinnitus doesn't get even marginalized more by the medical profession

18. mlt

mlt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/03/2013
      Hi,

Not sure where to post this but will try here.

My radio feature on tinnitus just aired in Australia on ABC Radio National and it may be of interest for those in the early stages of tinnitus (as I was last year when I started researching) - it's principally about what is tinnitus, how to habituate and manage it etc and everyone I interviewed including the audiologists had tinnitus.

I developed tinnitus early last year when I had surgery for an acoustic neuroma (translab) - SS deafness was expected, tinnitus and its impact a shock. It took me around 18 months to habituate and given my job relies on my ears it was a stressful time.

If you do listen please note there are tinnitus sounds in it so don't play it loud - there is also a written online feature if you prefer to read but the radio version has more information.

I hope this is of help to someone whether it's someone dealing with tinnitus or their loved one, that was my goal in making it.

online written feature: http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/bodysphere/the-ringing-that-has-no-answer/5733350

radio feature: http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/bodysphere/tinnitus/5710154

There are also a lot of comments on both pages that may be of interest.

Maria Tickle

19. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection

A film that describes both visually and audibly what it is like to spend just ONE DAY living with severe Tinnitus.

• Informative Informative x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Not necessarily a documentary (I'm not sure), but a short movie about tinnitus.

Very good, I must say.

21. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      What an informative video. I dont sleep with fans but with a sound machine as well. My T is so loud that it covers the sound machine, his is more high pitched than mine is.

22. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I've seen this video in the past and always wondered if he still goes through the same routine?

23. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      What a poor soul. This is truly a horrific disorder. I pray to god that we have a cure for this.

24. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have genuine sympathy for people that live with severe tinnitus. My own is variable and ranges from: complete silence, mild, moderate severe and can reach very severe levels, requiring me to take clonazepam to help reduce the noise. In addition to this, I have counselled people with tinnitus and know how much this condition can affect a person’s quality of life and their emotional wellbeing. Some people have it so severe they are unable to work and are on medication to help cope with it and wear devices called white noise generators.

There is no doubt that Mr Berardi has tinnitus like millions of other people around the world. However, if he thinks compiling a ten minute video and hoping to convey to the viewer, how tinnitus is seriously affecting the quality of his daily life then it hasn’t impressed me. Nor do I take kindly to him walking around his bedroom, switching on three electric fans and a sound machine placed by the bedside to drown/masked the tinnitus, which is one of the worst things that you can do.

There is no mention of any treatment that he has had under the care of a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist for tinnitus management, or whether he is taking medication to help cope with the condition including a sleeping draft, since he doesn't sleep well. Or that he wears white noise generators during the day. I say this because of the elaborate array of “sound generation” that he uses to get off to sleep each night. Three fans and a sound machine. Through the video the viewer has to endure listening to a high pitched “amplified” noise that is supposed to resemble what he is hearing 24/7. Sorry I am not buying it.

All we see in this video is a man walking around his lovely home, which I have no qualms about for I have a nice one too. Located here in Brighton, England.

In my opinion, people that have tinnitus that affects their life to the degree this gentleman, would like us to believe he is enduring, would relay to the viewer information that I have mentioned above and treatments he has tried to improve the quality of his life and there are many.

Michael

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018