Tinnitus for 2 Weeks and Terrified :'(

Discussion in 'Support' started by smith, Jan 31, 2017.

1. smith

smith Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hello.
      Posting in desperation for advice as to my current situation.
      I am just over 37 weeks pregnant and started getting tinnitus around 13 days ago.

I have had to be hospitalised due to it along with insomnia and anxiety (which I was struggling with prior to onset of tinnitus in any event but obviously worsened through fear of this not going).
      I have seen two GPS, a private audiologist and since being in hospital two ENT doctors. I have no infection. I MAY have some small amount of eardrum retraction and my sinuses are possibly a bit dry. My hearing was in normal limits but the left side ever so slightly down from the right but they didn't seem concerned. There was no sign of fluid behind the ear drum on the pressure test.

Throughout most of my pregnancy my sleep has been poor to the extent of having to see a gp who prescribed temazepam but at that time I chose not to take it due to the baby.

About a week prior to onset of tinnitus in was getting up more and more frequently in the night and finding one side of my nose blocked. Fearing I was getting a cold I used vicks first defence for a few days which made nose feel a bit stuffer but apparently to be expected. I then whilst turning over in bed 13 days ago commented to my partner that my left ear was ringing.

I thought this would go overnight but didn't so my insomnia and anxiety grew as I struggled to think I would care for my baby with the condition (which appears to affect both ears now but left seems worse I think)

Whilst in hospital I have had to take temazepam to get any kind of sleep as was exhausted. They also give me stemetil.

My anxiety is still heightened and I Google everyday about tinnitus horror stories. Even when I feel my tinnitus is calm enough to sleep I still can't sleep.

I've read up on ototoxic drugs and am terrified to take anything! I want off the temazepam asap but then I can't sleep. I am panicked as I was advised to take baby aspirin on this pregnancy which I did week 14 to 35 and now know this is an ototoxic drug. Although I had no ringing whilst taking it (ringing started after stopped) which seems to go against what I've read.

It has been suggested that tinnitus can come in pregnancy due to hormonal changes and increased blood flow, vessel swelling. It has been suggested that it can be caused due to extreme anxiety, stress and lack of sleep which I certainly have been suffering.

With all these possibilities and the uncertainty of whether this will go or not i am in a vicious cycle. I'm told to relax and stay calm as a first step but can't as worry about coping with my newborn and never getting to sleep without drugs. I think I will need some sort of medication after having baby to lift my mood (which naturally has worsened the last 2 weeks aswell as being stuck in hospital) but am terrified to take anything that could make it permanent or worse.

Lastly I'm not sure if I'm just imaging it now or just highly sensitive to everything but my eustachian tubes are every now and then a bit more poppy than usual (mainly on the slighter better right side). I have had small episodes of hearing my voice like a robot (tube open) but nothing long lasting. Of note I had two right side grommets years ago (8 years apart) due to glue ear which sorted and healed no issues. I believe it was noticed then that I had quite small ENT tubes and there was mention of shaving my nostrils.

Can anyone give me any explanation, hope or assistance of what is possible as I'm so confused.
      Thank you

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Tinnitus can be caused by hormones in pregnancy and also a year after till your hormones settle .
      You need support from audiology and white noise generators and a little counselling can help also with anxiety.
      Not long now till your bundle of joy arrives so try do lots of relaxation and if need something help you sleep have a chat to your midwife...
      Keep sound on around you day and night to help take your mind off tinnitus..
      I'm sure it will help you a little..
      Hope you have got phone contact from mental health or hospital you stayed in and make the most of your midwife to support you if get the baby blues and tinnitus support.
      We are here around the clock for you...lots of love glynis

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      smith

smith Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I'm so frightened that my dream is ruined ... This is our first very wanted baby. Just bought an amazing new house and it's all ruined. I'm isolated in hospital and won't talk to friends as they want to be excited and I can't be. My tinnitus seems to get further aggravated by white noise which I've tried. I've tried radio and fan but it hates it and gets louder especially the later in the day it gets. I just can't believe this has happened to me and can't see the light especially as complete inability to sleep :(

I am also frightened as I don't believe my tinnitus is the pulsatile type which I understand is the common pregnancy type which makes me lose hope it will go when baby arrives. Mine is high pitched buzz and occasionally changes to a low pitch buzz for a short period of time. Can anyone also tell me what meds should be definitely avoided.
      Thank you

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      You can take a sleeping tablet in late pregnancy but check with your doctor and midwife.
      Try natural nature sounds or a baby heart rate or baby soothing music as baby will love it also in your tummy...lots of love glynis

5. tinnitube
      Supportive

tinnitube Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      damn virus
      I know one patient that got tinnitus over her pregnancy and she said last like 1 year more . Then it settle so low that she did not hear it unless she is in complete silcence , so never mind . In pregancy you havo to avoid just the drugs we use in T , unless youre very , very anxious , I suggest trying to be calm by the natural way , just like leaving somewhere if you can , or taking long walks in nature . listening to the wind all day , the leaves etc . By the way the patient is my syster .

6. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      Hi Smith,

Welcome to the site!

Your first concern should naturally be the well-being of your unborn child so your prime focus should be on taking care of yourself to the highest degree possible.

You mentioned that you have been seen by two ENTs and an audiologist that confirmed your hearing has not been compromised so that should not be discounted!

I think your best approach is to try to settle down and remain as calm as you can be for the sake of your child. Ear ringing does not cause cancer or other malignancies! My left ear has been ringing for nearly one year and I am still alive. :)

Hopefully, your tinnitus will abate as quickly as it came on. Good luck!