Tinnitus for 6 Months — Pregnancy Making It Louder?

Discussion in 'Support' started by anusha, May 27, 2018.

1. anusha
      Buzzed

anusha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 29 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      Hi

I have had tinnitus for six months. I am six weeks pregnant and I am in a good place 80% of the time with tinnitus as I am practicing yoga and meditation even though the tinnitus is there I bother 5-10 mins and get back to my routine.

I am not sure why, since I found out am pregnant, I've been feeling my tinnitus became very loud. I am trying to be calm for the sake of my baby but today is Memorial Day weekend and I am at home and only thing I bother is about tinnitus. Haven’t felt this anxiety since 3 months but I feel this spike is bringing back my old nervous self. I don’t want that but I want to rest at home and not go out.

I am fine when I am at work or go out but at home the spike is really annoying. How do you guys deal with spike and how do I get this spike down to my baseline. I feel like crying I am controlling.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Nics2drescue
      Inspired

Nics2drescue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Anusha, are you still experience really high T in your pregnancy? I too have T. Have it since May 2017. I have a little girl, and she was only 9months when T started. Thankfully in the beginning it wasn't too loud, but it has progressively gotten worse. That said, I have gotten to a stage where the same as you, I am ok with it 70-80% of the time. In the beginning I was consumed with fear, anxiety, depression etc. Now it's more of an annoyance than anything else. I don't feel anxious but some days I do feel low when I really think about it.

Anyway, I am hoping to get pregnant again in the next few months. I know full well that my T will be affected during the pregnancy, as my T changes so frequently on any normal day. It can shift from Mild to Moderate to Severe, it changes tones a lot of the times so my T is very unpredictable. I actually experienced a bad spike last week and it freaked me out! So without hormones even being involved it changes a lot. So I am expecting the worst, but at the same time, I would NEVER EVER let T stop me from having another child. No way in hell would I let it take over my life like that. Even if I have to suffer for another child, I will do so, as a child is a blessing. And honestly, if I let T take over my life like that, and it prevented me from having another baby, I would be bitter and angry until the day I die.

The negative thing is that I'm on mirap to help me sleep at night. And when I do get pregnant I won't be able to take any medication. So that's gonna be a pain in the ass, big time. I sleep fine now with T but I think I only sleep as I'm knocked out.

So how are you finding it now? How is your pregnancy going with T?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      anusha
      Buzzed

anusha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 29 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      Probably I will feel like this once my kid is out :)

I am in my second trimester now. I had T since last Nov and got pregnant in April. I did read that pregnancy can make it worse and was scared a bit to have a child but then I realized I can't stop my life and sit and cry abt T. My life has to go on and T is part of me now.

2nd month of pregnancy at 6 weeks T was very loud and my best friend also has T since Jan and she is also pregnant 4weeks apart she also said her T became louder but we both thought we should speak less about it. I know her T is louder than mine cuz she can hear ringing even at work gives her headaches. Mine is bad at nights.

I cried maybe 2times in last 4months cuz of T and other days I decide not to be low and negative as my emotions really affect my child now. I go yoga, meditate short times using headspace app when I have anxiety (cuz of T) or feel low during bed time. I also tried yoga nidra youtube videos I sleep like a baby with those. All and all T spikes up a bit but then not every day. I noticed it was more in 1st 2 months than in my 3rd or 4th month(now)

Overall its better than the time I wrote this post. I am doing prenatal yoga 3-5days a week I feel its helping me calm.

4. Nics2drescue
      Inspired

Nics2drescue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi,

I am glad to hear it has calmed down since. Yes once you have your little baby it will be worth it. I know what it feels like as I already have a little girl. In fact my little girl is a blessing as sometimes when my T is really bad I just look at her and it makes me so happy. Also kids are a good distraction from T as you don't have as much time on your hands. I can't imagine having that sort of time because I would then be focusing on it all the time.

Wow, that is so strange that your best friend has it too! I'm glad you have someone to talk to about it. Coincidentally when I got T I found out my dad had it for years and I never knew! In fact before I got T I didn't even know what it was. So it is bizzare that my dad had it without me even knowing. My dad has it really bad though. His is very loud and in both ears and to make things worse he has very bad problems with his ears. He is always getting ear infections which always makes his T worse.

I hope you are having a nice pregnancy aside from increased T of course and hopefully you will habituate soon. November is not that long ago so you are doing very well. It took me over 1 year to get use to the noise and although it's still annoying it doesn't have the same hold on me as the beginning.

Wish you all the best for the rest of your pregnancy. X

5. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Once your perforated ear drum resolved your tinnitus did not reduce in volume?

if so that's pretty bad, usually it does.

6. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Do you still have a Perforated eardrum, Can your case be corrected?

Was it accompanied by sensori-neural hearing loss, exposure to loud noise or infection?