Tinnitus for a Few Years

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Apple, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Apple

Apple Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Hello everyone, I have had tinnitus in my left ear for a few years (I am in my 20s) after a trauma with cotton buds. I think I had otitis that morning, when I pushed a little too much the cotton bud and tac ... Then the tinnitus :)

However I think this phenomenology is also somatic for me because if I open my mouth wide open the whistle is (higher in terms of volume) in both ears, I believe more or less the same frequency. Same thing (volume less high) if I move the neck all the way to the left (whistle in the right one) and everything to the right (whistle in the left one).

I have read a research about sulodexide and melatonin and I must say that it is very interesting. I used melatonin (the pills you buy at the pharmacy to sleep) because I had trouble getting to sleep, but I have to say that the tinnitus has not improved. I've never tried the sulodexide though.

However, now I focused a little more on the whistle (which is not overly high but not low) because I went through a period of stress and anxiety. I have no problems sleeping because of the whistle (or at least I think) even if lately I wake up always early in the morning. I will try acupuncture to alleviate the anxiety.

I wanted to know if there is someone with a similar problem as mine, and what I should try or not because I'm now focusing on it a little bit more.

Thanks!

2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Many members here have high pitch dog whistle T and I am one of them. Stress and anxiety definitely will aggravate the dog whistle and we tend to focus on it. Perhaps try taking warm bath and relax by deep abdominal breathing. Drink warm/hot water or milk (if you can take it) to help relax more. Melatonin is good for sleep. You can also try some nature sounds or favorite music/songs around the bed to help take away focus on T. Mindfulness and CBT techniques are good for dealing with tinnitus. you can google on them or search for some youtube intructional videos how to use them to deal with anxiety.

If your T is somatic and your jaw movement can affect it, perhaps check out if you have TMJ. Take care. God bless.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Apple

Apple Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Hi all, I'm Andrea, 28 yo, from Barcelona. Having tinnitus on the left ear since 8/9 years (don't remember properly) after a cotton bud trauma (super stupid, I know).

The tinnitus is on the left ear (normal state, mouth closed) but if I open my jaw the tinnitus increases and comes also a little bit on the right ear too. I think we can call it "somatosensory"?

Lately, after a period of stress, I focused a little bit more so I bought some ginkgo biloba and this week I'll go to the agopuncturist. In those years I've managed to live with it (it's not that high) and I invite you all to stay strong, we might all solve this one day.

Best regards,

Andrea

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
      • Like Like x 1
    4. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      Hey Andrea, good to hear that you are doing fine. Do you mind me asking if your T changed at all over the period, did it get less?
      Does sleeping affect you in any way?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Apple

Apple Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Hi Jurgen, I think it affected me in being more anxious because it's not possible to have "silence" let's say during the day. But I don't think that it affects my sleep. I realized that in the recent years I sleep less tho. Anyway I use a fitness band and I can see that I still have deep sleep (REM phase) during the night.

The tinnitus level can become higher if I concentrate myself on it. I can modulate it by moving my ear, mouth and neck and make it louder, not lower.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Apple

Apple Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Sorry double posting. I thought they deleted my entry so I made a new one. I hope the moderators can at least notify you of the changes.

7. TiredOfT
      Tired

TiredOfT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still not sure of cause
      Does anyone have facial tingling with their tinnitus? I had an MRI a few months ago. All clear, except for a benign pineal gland cyst (very common).