Tinnitus for a Year and Need Help More Than Ever

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mark A, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Mark A
      Wishful

Mark A Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I have noise induced tinnitus. It was about two or three weeks after the noise the tinnitus became noticeable. It was more of a static sound at first with periods of painfully high pitched tones. The high pitched tones became more and more continuous. The high pitch is continuous now and never goes away. It keeps getting louder. If it continues, I can't imagine this being survivable. About the only time I don't hear it is in the shower, but the water sounds different and annoying. I can hear it while driving, flying on jets, walking around busy streets, just about everywhere. It is loud and uncomfortable.

I have gone to three different places looking for treatment, but no one will do anything. All they do are hearing tests, MRIs, etc... Hearing test show minor hearing loss in the mid range, but nothing remarkable. Why can I not get any treatment? What about CBT, TRT, biofeedback, etc... I can't get anything. Even if it doesn't help, I would at least like to try. I was on cloud 9 before I got this stuff, now I'm hoping the rest of my life goes by quickly. I hate sleeping since I hear this awful noise all night long. I think about it 24/7. I can't relax, nothing. I loved life and now hate it. How do I get treatment?

• Hug Hug x 5
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Whiplash or Buzzer (abuse from ex)
      I can relate to you. I just started CBT. It is through a psychologist. He gave me tasks to do for the next month to take my mind off the tinnitus. Just find someone that does CBT in your area.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mark A
      Wishful

Mark A Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Thank you for the reply, but that is the problem, I can't find anyone. What should I be looking for? If only psychologists, should they have some knowledge/experience with tinnitus?

4. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I can relate. Loud very high pitched head hissing that never goes away (although it was that way from day 1). Can hear it everywhere but the shower too. Wish I had suggestions, but I'm still looking for relief after 6 months. What was your noise exposure?

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. Sash
      Doubtful

Sash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cleaning out wax
      My tinnitus is really really loud too but when I am busy I just don't hear it. Maybe it's mind over matter that will prevail.

6. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I'm having a shitty time of it myself Mark but what you describe sounds like my first ever run in with tinnitus back in 1997. Things got unexpectedly worse for me back in October last year but if you had met me before that I would have told you that although the tinnitus might not settle, you'll get used to it and be like 'meh' and you'll go on to have a happy life, which you will, just give it time.

7. Manex

Manex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced 1995, Azithromycin 2018
      You could look up TRT and see how some of the techniques work. There are online tone generators you could use - just please use them quietly. there are mobile apps as well. And there are some theories that if you can find your tones and play them into your ear for short period of time again and again, that helps. In my personal experience I have found in the past that it did help a little bit but mostly in the very short term. But sometimes the short term matters.

****WARNING***** turn that volume way way way way down first... like to 2%
      Here's a link to one: https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/
      ****WARNING***** turn that volume way way way way down first... like to 2%

When I first go noised induced tinnitus in 1995, I went to the most reputable hearing clinic in the US. I went there again and again until finally the doctor said simply... "You have to stop trying to get rid of this. You're fighting it so hard you're not going to ever accept it." I hated hearing that, but he was right.

I have had friend who had tinnitus worse than mine (back then) and they never really were bothered by it. It's heavily dependent on our emotional reaction to it.

And it sucks.... everyone here knows it sucks... but... the trick is taking the emotion out of it. I know it's hard. I'm struggling with that all over again since last October... that's why I'm hear... but this is my 2nd round of this.... so I remember having the same near suicidal feelings and I also know that later it was less of a focus.