Tinnitus for the Last Two Weeks

Discussion in 'Support' started by Leighton, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Leighton

Leighton Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Hey, I've had a loud hissing tinnitus in my left ear for the last two weeks now.

The worse thing is, I think it was my fault :(

I had a build-up of wax blocking the ear causing me vertigo, dizziness etc, went to the doctor who told me to get some olive oil eardrops to clear it out. Like a complete idiot, i inserted the dropper into my ear canal on the first go and have had tinnitus since.

I continued using the drops for another week and had my ear syringed but the tinnitus is still there and is driving me crazy. I'm not sure if i've damaged my ear or the drum, occansoiannly I have some earache and extreme itchiness inside the ear. I'm not sure if the itchiness is the feeling of something healing?

I can deal with this if it's only going to be a temporary thing but not if it's going to be forever, it's driving me crazy

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. sanjay doodani
      Amused

sanjay doodani Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Frequent viral infection ENT, loud music, BP sugar
      Olive oil has salicyclate it can cause tinnitus if it dries up t will go

• Like Like x 1
    3. David S

David S Member Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Believe there is a big gray zone here. It think earwax quite often plays a big roll in getting T once no other trauma can be to be blamed. Here is what i think causes it.

1. The earwax builds up so it touches the eardrum. When the drum not can move as it usually dose it can cause some damage.
      2. The earwax block some frequencies out. The cells one those frequencies dose not receive any stimulation for some time. When you get rid of the wax you get stimulation again and that trigger something to happen.
      3. When the wax is removed. It cause damage when the ENT uses the suction instrument. But also the substances you get to clear the ear could cause damage.

I am very sure that my T is related to number 1. In the past my T just resolved once i get the wax out but this last time it did not.

I will never let earwax build up again. That is a to big risk. I am now always using Topz (cotton pins) after getting a shower now. I do not believe ENTs typically recomend using Topz on daily bases but i got no other choice. For me it´s an easy task and i do not see any big risks doing it. Just wish i had done it in the past.

@Leighton how is you T. Is it easy to mask? Pure tone or more like ticking? High piched? Reactive?

I have a high freq. hearing lost in my left ear. That´s is the reason i believe for my T.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leighton

Leighton Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      It's a high pitched buzzing, if there's alot of noise around it's somewhat masked but is really bad at night. I haven't had it react to anything yet, it seems worse at in the evening but this might be due to being in a quieter environment If by tickling you mean itching, then yes I do get that, Tickly feeling right inside the ear canal with occasional earache and sore feeling in the ear.

I downloaded a 'Hearing Check' app on my phone to heck my hearing and that seemed to be all good. I honestly think i may have caused some damage to the hair cells when i Pused the dropper into my canal.

If it's still around in another 2 weeks, i'll be going back to the doctor as that will be a month.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. David S

David S Member Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      @Leighton one thing to consider here is that a normal hearing test only goes up to 8000Hz. My hearing as also fine there. A high frequency test would go from 8000-16000Hz. I have a loss at 12000Hz for right ear 2odb compared to 45db for the left. Would believe it´s a clear indicator.

You can do a easy testing with your phone. Be very careful. Download a tone gen. Put it at the LOWEST volume. Use the same earphone (turn it upside down if needed) in both ears. Go slowly from 50Hz all the way up to 16000Hz. Do you feel that the tone has the same strength all the way up? Do you have i dip were you can´t hear it at all? How high tones can you hear? Make sure not to raise the volume over a snap or 2 over the lowest. Do not listen to the same tone for a long time. Do not think this can trigger anything but do not overtest and do not do it you feel uncomfortable.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leighton

Leighton Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      I went to the doctor on Saturday, he took a look and said my ear was inflamed. Given me some antibiotic ear drops & my ear definitely already feels slightly less tight. Hea said it should also clear up the tinnitus, I think it has got slightly better. Hard to tell though to be honest, the ringing has got higher pitched and slightly quiter. Hopefully it's on it's way out!

7. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      Some meds are ototoxic. .they can cause long lasting tinnitus. Which med are you taking? Check side effects of this med on webmd, or Rx drugs website or search at top of this forum.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leighton

Leighton Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      I'm gonna retire from this forum for awhile, it just makes me more anxious reading about tinnitus constantly and therefore makes it worse. Hopefully I just have a minor ear infection causing the tinnitus and it will clear up, if it's permeant I'll cross that bridge when it comes with a positive mindset.

Thanks for your help y'all!

• Like Like x 1