Tinnitus from Concussion/Mild TBI

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by tofurky, Nov 26, 2021.

1. tofurky

tofurky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head injury
      Newbie, mid-40s guy here suffering with tinnitus. This board has been a great resource for me to read everyone’s stories, so thanks to those who have shared their experiences. Seems like most got their tinnitus from noise exposure, but wondering if and how anyone has managed tinniy from a head injury?

I was in an accident in March, probably got a concussion, and about 1-2 months later, developed tinnitus. First, it was a slight and subtle high frequency sound able to be ignored during the day, but it’s since gotten louder and louder to the point where since summer it’s been a very debilitating shriek heard 24/7. Frankly speaking, it’s turned my life upside down: haven’t been able to sleep without meds for 5 months, lost my job, family is in disarray, future is bleak.

I’ve seen countless docs, and most say my TBI symptoms will resolve, but not sure what that means. All imaging clear; my neurologist told me that the tinnitus should go away, but I’m not so sure. Audiologist confirmed that I have moderate to severe hearing loss at mid-high frequency, although much of that I’ve had for over 20 years. Got fitted with Widex hearing aids, but of minimal help. Getting regular Chiro adjustments also, since the accident also caused intense neck strain.

This has been very distressing and I’m not even sure what improvement looks like. Of course, I’d like for tinnitus to go away (prob unlikely) or at least for me to not perceive the loud squeals as so threatening, get off all meds, resume my old sleep habits (which was like a baby), and basically get on with living.

I’d welcome thoughts and advice. Intellectually, I understand the need to “accept” this condition, but I’ve been unable to emotionally. For now, just treading water and taking one day at a time, but it’s getting harder by the day.

2. Warrior959

Warrior959 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TBI
      Hello,

I had a TBI in April. I still have tinnitus, I have tried many things, but seems that is a time wasted and only time will heal this... At least I got rid of really bad hyperacusis. Not sure if my tinnitus is better now, but at least I feel that I am slowly habituating. I've read that for some people who got tinnitus after TBI it faded away after a few years, so I don't lose hope.

Best wishes, we can do this! :)

• Like Like x 1