Tinnitus Gets Worse When I Lie Down

Discussion in 'Support' started by Raphael7713, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      My tinnitus seems to get louder everytime I lay down, and last night I think I had one of the worst tinnitus by far, a high pitched, penetrating hiss/peep that wouldn't get masked by anything. My tinnitus has never spiked due to external sounds or alcohol or anything like that, but the few times it has spiked/gotten worse is when im laying down on bed.

What can this be? And this new tone I'm experiencing seems to stop completely or very much when I close my ears with my fingers, shouldn't it be the exact opposite?

2. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      That's true for me and I think many of us. When the house is quite and it's time for bed, laying down in a quite room seems to really raise the volume.

It's been described to me like lighting a candle in a dark room, it seems really bright but turn on the lights in that same room with that same candle and it's no longer bright at all.

I would continue to experiment with sources of sounds, sooner or later you will likely find one that helps. Nature sounds, rain sounds, ocean waves, etc..

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      The thing is, it doesn't get louder because it gets quieter, it literally gets louder when Im laying down. Pitches change, sounds change etc. This doesn't happen every night, but the times my T has gotten worse is like 20 mins after im laying down. I don't know if its because presure builds up in my sinus or anything..

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Although it is not easy, try to stop focusing on your tinnitus and once you learn this which takes time, things will improve to the point where changes in the tinnitus will no longer bother you. As you know you have made good improvement but more time is needed to reach full habituation and how you deal with this condition psychologically. Continue using sound enrichment and remember not to fully masked (cover up) the tinnitus as this is not good.

Michael

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Michael, if you'd ask me five days ago I would go so far and say Im 100% habituated, or even cured. Don't know if you noticed, but I havent been on this forum since late september. This new sensation started a couple of days ago, with a new tone that is way harder to mask. Thats the weird part. I was not far from being cured I felt, my "reactive tinnitus" has been gone for several months and everything looked really promising.....until 4-5 days ago :/
      But thanks for your advice, I will ofc follow them.

6. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Raphael7713

One of the first lessons one has to try and learn with tinnitus, is to assume nothing. It can take many months to habituate up to 2 years or longer. It took 4 years for me to habituate the second time. When hyperacusis is present, the habituation path can be affected in a variety of ways. Take your time and try to get a long with doing other things in your life. It is natural to be concerned when hearing a new sound or sounds but as long as they are not permanent try to forget them and move on. Tinnitus isn't easy for it has a direct impact on our emotional and mental well being. In time you will reach full habituation and occurrences such as a new sound, or spike as long as they are not sustained will cease to bother you.

All the best
      Michael

PS: Yesterday my tinnitus was loud and intrusive and today it is so quiet I can hear a pin drop.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
      • Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      Could you be coming down with a cold or maybe experiencing some sinus congestion? When I get a cold or have sinus issues, the T changes tone and switches over to my good ear.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I was out and ran recently. I got totally exhausted and the blood taste in my mouth. When I was resting I heard complete silence. I mean total silence. When I got my breath back so did the T. Any explanation behind this?

9. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Raphael7713 did you find out the cause of your T? Sounds like pressure issues and ETD. I have the same issue where it gets worse when I lay down.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      No. The two years ive been having T it comes and goes. Sometimes completely gone, sometimes a low t, sometimes higher..and this is mostly when im stressed.