Tinnitus Habituation Logic

Discussion in 'Support' started by KingRoanoke, Jan 3, 2015.

1. KingRoanoke

KingRoanoke Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Look at what the dog is wearing.
      I am not habituated to my tinnitus. My tinnitus is very intrusive and is even painful to me when i am in a quiet environment. However, when I am in a place with a lot of sound, I am able to forget my T is there and I am no longer in pain. My ears can relax. Obviously my tinnitus hasn't gone away as it's in the background at all times yet I don't "feel" my T. This must mean that the harsh qualities I associate with T and the feeling of pain that comes along with it is not an innate quality to the T itself because my tinnitus is happening even in those environments when I'm not hearing it and feeling pain.

It must mean that the simple act of hearing the sound of the T is triggering this feeling of discomfort, pain, and anguish and not the T itself.

Whether or not the automatic discomfort and pain you feel can be tempered over time is. Yet, because tinnitus itself is not the direct cause of the discomfort and may be considered benign as the mere existence of it is not a trigger for discomfort and pain.

Do animals immediately habituate T?

2. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Maybe...animals don't have a highly developed frontal cortex and emotional brain...especially lower class animals like rodents. A chimp might suffer from tinnitus, I don't know.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      KingRoanoke

KingRoanoke Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Look at what the dog is wearing.
      Interesting!

4. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      That's a paradox then.

Even a benign tumor can kill you.

Probably, though it's more likely that they fall prey due to the hearing impairment of intrusive T. Essentially, their suffering is of a much shorter duration.