Tinnitus Makes Me Do Embarrassing Things

Discussion in 'Support' started by butterfly75, Aug 4, 2018.

1. butterfly75
      No Mood

butterfly75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Today, I was on a 10+ hour plane ride. I was so terrified of my tinnitus getting permanently worse. Thankfully, I just got home and I didn't notice much of a difference. I think its' slightly louder, but not nearly as loud as I thought it would get. I had to wear the earplugs the entire time because I measured the noise level on my decibel app (not sure how accurate it is) and it was 90+ the whole time. 104 decibels at takeoff. I temporarily removed the earplugs during takeoff and landing because I was afraid of "barotrauma" caused by pressure changes (I'm still not fully informed about the subject, so I'm not sure how likely it is.) The engine sounded very, very loud but I just pressed my fingers against my ears and things went OK.

At landing, the flight was experiencing a lot of turbulence and it took a very long time for the plane to descend, so I removed my earplugs about 30 minutes before landing (when they announced the descent) and held my fingers pressed against my ears the whole time. I was so worried about my tinnitus getting worse. I was silently (at least, I was trying to be silent) crying and I felt so nauseous, I couldn't eat any of the meals or sleep at all. My mom was trying to comfort me and telling me it was going to be OK, and that did help a little, but I was still being weepy and I felt a heap of anxiety. I really thought my tinnitus was going to be insurmountably, unbearably worse when I got home. I was so relieved when I stepped into the house and took out my earplugs and realized I had a little spike in the volume, but nothing like I was expecting. I still have a lot of anxiety, and I still haven't slept in over 24 hours, but no panic attacks so far like I used to get, thankfully.

Once, an ambulance was passing by and I ran straight into a place where they were doing construction work and the men kind of looked at me like "huh?" and I was so frantic, I just covered my ears and smiled and blurted out "sorry," "it's the ambulance," or something like that. I must look crazy when I do these things.

I just hate other people's opinions of me being in the forefront of my mind when something like this is happening. I don't want to care what others think of me. I hate how I can't politely ask someone to turn their radio down, or tell someone I can't be around their dog because the barking makes my tinnitus louder. I can't be assertive, and I wish I could change that so much. But I don't think it's possible to change a personality trait you were born with, so I don't know if it'll ever get easier for me to do. I'm the one who has to deal with the long-term consequences, so I need to muster up the strength to speak up. I just cringe thinking of how I've embarrassed myself so many times running away from some noise. But I don't want to think that way.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
      • Hug Hug x 3
    2. Static Sophie 73

Static Sophie 73 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Hi butterfly :huganimation:

I so understand - I'm a very anxious type of person to begin with who tends to fixate and T is an incredibly challenging condition to be dealing with every waking moment when we are wired up like this.

I'm always sticking my fingers in my ears and hate flying. Living in an enormous country like Australia flying is a lot easier but I prefer 'driving holidays' these days.

My T I don't believe has ever become worse because of flying from what I can remember and I've been on this journey now for 16 years.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      butterfly75
      No Mood

butterfly75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Still have a lot of anxiety over it getting louder, but I’m trying to get myself to stay calm and not isolate myself in the house.

4. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @butterfly75 Thank you very much for sharing your flight experience.
      My mom had a stroke but I can not visit her due to long flight trip.
      I feel very guilty about it but I don't want my reactive tinnitus get spiked permanently.
      Just like everyone here, I am waiting for an effective cure of medicine or surgery to heal my T.
      So, I can plan a flight trip to visit my mom across the Pacific ocean.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Never be ashamed. Always have a voice. You are the one that has to hear the ringing, not other people. Other people's attitude towards you, should mean nothing. Love yourself, take care of yourself. Protect your ears and distance yourself from people or situations that make you uncomfortable. Being born with a certain personality should not stop you at all. I was born a nice, caring guy and I still am. Even though I am nice, I will let people know if they rattle me the wrong way and I have no shame in it either. At the end of the day you/me/we/us are the ones that have this affliction.

No one else cares and will not go through your/our misery for you/us. Never be embarrassed instead be empowered and strong! Society cares less about your ears, most don't. Do what you have to do and need to do to protect your ears and keep your tinnitus manageable.

Bless....

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    6. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I tell people I have an 'ear condition' and that I have a sensitivity to sound. That's all they need to know and people seem to accept it.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    7. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      My motto is that it’s better to look silly rather than suffer.

• Agree Agree x 3