Tinnitus Much Worse After Eating?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Megatron, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Megatron

Megatron Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise, Stress
      Hi all,

Does anyone experience T going nuts for aprox. 2 hours after eating? Mostly when eating lunch my T becomes very loud afterwards.

Anyone?

Best Troels

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Quentino
      Tired

Quentino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Decrease of Hearing i presume.
      heuuu... i seriously doubt it's linked...

Eating, bad for T?

You tested it or did you notice it just one time?

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Megatron

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise, Stress
      Happens 8 out of 10 times...

4. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Do you find that the effect depends at all upon what you eat?

-G

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Megatron

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise, Stress
      Not really - but mostly after lunch.... It becomes very high pitced and lasts for 2 hours...

6. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      Do you also experience this when chewing gum for example?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Megatron

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise, Stress
      no only after eating lunch - very strange.

8. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      I have a hypothesis as to why this might be. I think that many cases of tinnitus derive from misfiring neurons, possibly due to neuro-chemical imbalances. To the extent that serotonin is involved, eating may play a role in altering these neuro-chemical levels because much of the body's serotonin is generated in the gut.

I too find that my tinnitus is affected by food, but in a somewhat different way. If my stomach is riled, due to spicy food for example, I will often notice that my tinnitus is louder upon waking. Once my stomach calms down, the tinnitus subsides, and sometimes vanishes altogether.

-Golly

9. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Or it could be jaw/TMJ-related, as I believe @Nucleo is suggesting!

-G

10. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      If it happens with chewing gum as well it is very possible it is TMJ related. If not, then it probably is a reaction of some kind to the food.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Are you eating crunchy foods? This can be a bit noisy, noise can cause spikes for some people.

12. Quentino
      Tired

Quentino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Decrease of Hearing i presume.
      Terribly reactive T?? Is that possible?

It's horrible, i know i'm lucky that mine is not reactive but this is frightening..

also, try to not eat at lunch and see if it disappear. If it does it's just a recurrent spike, if it stay... well it's not like you can stop eating, so ...

13. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Chewing could be the cause? The muscles and bones of your face or even nerves being irritated

14. Nanette P

Nanette P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2011
      Absolutely! Any chance your tinnitus began after taking antibiotics?

• Winner Winner x 1
    15. Donsorel

Donsorel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2008
      Did you watch if you have any metabolic condition like Reactive Hypoglycemie, Insulin Resistance o Diabetis type 1 or 2? If you have any of this problems, you could have a problem with sugar after eating. Your blood sugar may get high or low after lunch, and this can make many side effects. One of them is tinnitus.

There is a very easy way to know if you have one of this problems: get a sugar curve test.
      You go to a hospital one morning at 8:00 without eating nothing, they give you a bottle with a high sugar content and you have to stay there two hours. After two hours they mesure your blood sugar levels. If your sugar is very low, it means that you have reactive hypoglycemia or insulin resistance. That would explain perfectly why after 2 hours of eating your tinnitus is stonger. After 2 hours of eating your body has very low sugar. It stress a lot your body, affecting the nerve system, adrenalin, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    16. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      TMJ is a common cause of tinnitus.
      Inflammation of your jaw joint can irritate your middle ear and teeth grinding ,clenched teeth and teeth grinding at night .
      Your dentist can help by making you a mouth guard to wear at night to take the pressure of your jaw.....lots of love glynis

• Agree Agree x 2
    17. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just One (1) Loud Rock Concert!
      For me, it gets loud when I am really hungry, goes way down after I eat, then spikes up again especially if I heat high salt or high sugar foods. -- I'm starting to stay away from table salt and sugary foods like cookies, etc..

18. Donsorel

Donsorel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2008
      Well, if you have tinnitus changing when you eat you could check:

- Diabetis
      - Reactive Hypoglycemia
      - Fructose Malabsortion or intolerance
      - Lactose Malabsortion or intolerance
      - SIBO
      (Small intestinal Bacteria Overgrowth)
      - Celiac Disease and Gluten intolerance
      - Leaky Gut
      - Candida Overgrowth
      - Bacteria infectión or overgrowth like H Pylori

This problems most of the time are related and one can cause the other. For exemple:

In my case I foud that I have a very severe Fructose Malabsortion. My gut generates more than 100mg of Hydrogen in a Fructose Hydrogen Breath Test (normal levels are 0-20mg). I didn't know I can not digest fructose, so I was always eating lots of fruits. So I was always generating hydrogen in my gut, and that caused me SIBO, Candida Overgrowth and probably Leaky gut (not still tested). Candida Overgorwth and fructose malabsortion made my pancreas to generate to much insulin, so it made me develop Reactive Hypoglycemia (my sugar get down to 35 ml in a Glucose Blood curve test). Reactive Hypoglycemia makes me digest bad Glucose, so 1 hour after eating something with sugar my glucose level get down, I get hungry and my cortisol and adrenalin gets afected, causing my body stress with symptoms like Tinnitus, brain fog, anxiety, and other side effects.

So my conclusions are these:

- If you have tinnitus related to eating search the cause in the Digestive System
      - When you are searching the cause, try to difference always cause and symptom. Many times you think you have found a cause and there is still another problem causing this one
      - Go always to Doctors and make tests. There is a lot of tests and you never know witch one could be positive
      - Control your Diet

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    19. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Very informative post, @Donsorel. Very few people realize how much everything is connected to what we eat..and that basically all health problems start in the intestines. I would add to your list food alergies in general, not only to gluten. Some ignorant doctors claim measuring sugar in blood in the morning is enough to state whether or not we are resistant to insulin which is BS and many ppl won't react on time. We have to check our lipids and cholesterol level as well. Apparently with these three results we can tell whether or not we are resistant to insulin without havinbg to do the curve test, which for some is unbearable.

20. Dan Seg
      Cheeky

Dan Seg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      AUgust 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dont know yet !!
      gents,

Food related effect ,
      If I take a heavy meal for diner with RED meet and RED wine ! you can be assured my -T- goes nuts to the roof at 03:00AM and I have pain in my ears...
      100% food or alergize have an effect on -T- ...

Also, my body position have a serious effect, if I lay down horizontal , my -T- goes up 10dB !
      so I need Seroquel to be able to sleep for a few hours ...
      and again at 05:00AM this wissling sounds comes back hard,
      then I stand up and it goes down back about 6dB ..

Very strange but true !
      I saw allready an ORL and had a head scan ,,,
      they found NOTHING !

A++
      dan

21. Mikie_Mike

Mikie_Mike Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Ear Infection/Prescription Drugs?
      This just happen to me today! In fact it's happened 3 out of 4 times when eating the same meal over the past month. My guess is salt is responsible. There was no sugar in the meal, and I didn't drink anything with caffeine. I think Caffeine might make my T worse, but sugar seems to have little or no effect. I guess I really need to keep a food diary. I have pulsating T, and had an MRI that revealed nothing unusual. Moving my jaw/mouth changes the intensity of the T, but talking a lot seems to reduce it. In any case, I took a lot of prescription drugs (Cipro, prednisone, Xanax) during and after my ear infection, that messed with my nervous system ... and my audiologist thinks my nervous system is still messed up and responsible for the pulsating. She went to UT Dallas, and they seem to have a decent audiology program, but at this point its just a guess on her part.

By the way, I have "mild" hearing loss, which isn't bad enough to require hearing aids ... but because the T was bothering me, I went ahead and got them for that reason. While they don't eliminate the T, they help on 2 fronts ... first, by amplifying higher frequencies, I have more noise in my ear and the T doesn't seem as loud, and second, I have Zen Fractal tones on most of the time, and I hear that when I move into a quite situation. I cannot hear the tones when there is other noise around ... it's fairly soft. Anyway, I focus on the tones and not the T, and I have the added benefit of having my own sound track as I move through life!!! :rockingbanana:

22. MikeP505
      Curious

MikeP505 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Punishment for being so darn good looking!
      Well stop eating man................ Sheesh, problem solved!! Kidding.

Does seem strange. Must have something to do with the action from the jaw?? A scan (x-ray) may reveal an issue there.

23. snow47
      Cold

snow47 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think pressure to jaw. I don't know.
      When I eat food or any jaw move, my T becomes louder at that moment.

24. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I don't eat anything sugary or spicy after about 4pm and keep caffeine for the mornings. This prevents spikes and ear twitches so helps sleep.

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      Something is really spiking me. AHHHH... I jsut ate some pizza and took my benzo and Im ready to blow my head off help does any one have a clue or an idea? Thank you.

26. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Calm down as it will spike more....
      Have a rest after taking your benzos and should settle you down with relaxing music.
      Spikes will come and spikes will go,so hold on to that thought as it will go.
      Tomorrow is a new day and hope a quieter one for you...lots of love glynis

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    27. LowHumPulse

LowHumPulse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Syringing at Doctor's Office
      Hey, I noticed on your 'reason for tinnitus' you listed unknown. Just wanted to say Seroquel is a medication with tinnitus as a known side effect. Not to say you shouldn't take it for whatever reason, but a heads up, I don't want anyone's T to get any worse than it should!

28. Mark busak

Mark busak Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly antibiotics sensonaural hearing loss
      Been dealing with this for the last six years everyday is like a crap shoot when do the tinnitus is loud other days it's much lower on those special days I can barely hear anything my tinnitus sometimes disappears but 90% of the time it's loud I tried different foods different sleeping positions every type of vitamin you can think of eating healthy removing sugar removing salt I tried every combination so far right now it seems to me that it's sometimes a combination of all of the above but the one thing that does work sometimes and seems to be the most effective is not to eat any food after 5 o'clock p.m. because the next morning my tinnitus decreases at least 50% so there is definitely something related going on with the digestive process and the sleeping process I've tried this numerous times and it seems to work. Starve the body a little don't let any food and inflame your body.

29. Mark busak

Mark busak Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Was taking some type of antibiotic I cannot remember what it was called for about a month right before my tinnitus started it was for a urinary infection. Could very well be the cause of it

• Winner Winner x 1
    30. Mark busak

Mark busak Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Interesting enough having hot oatmeal in the morning actually helps the tinnitus not exactly sure why.