Tinnitus -Needs- a Viral Campaign

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by JurgenG, Feb 4, 2017.

1. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      This has probably been discussed here, but I've yet to see a viral campaign for all you sufferers..
      Tinnitus is a condition which is known by the wide public, but not really. Everyone heard about it, and no one thinks he or she can get it. (As with many diseases.)

The campaign should work on two levels.

First and foremost: Hard cash for research, and getting attention from the best and brightest.
      And on a second level: Prevention.

Why is this second level also important for the current sufferers? More chance on going viral when it spreads two messages.

I believe this might not be impossible to achieve, combined we have quite a large network via social media.

A lot of people actually have some form of T, so it would be fairly easy to get their attention, and once a certain percentage starts sharing, well the rest would be history..

First we need a great idea, which is -fun- to share (icebucket) and relevant in a way.
      The other thing we need is linking it to (an) organisation(s) worth the potential millions.

This might be a longshot, but hey, why not?

-Throw suggestions underneath this post-

• Like Like x 4
    2. LukeYoung
      Frantic

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure
      @Markku and the guys running the forum are getting people to do videos on "what tinnitus means to me".

I assume this will be compiled and used for awareness.

But yes I agree, need more awareness. I'm always telling people I know when they go to concerts "use ear plugs". Of course they make me out to be stupid and say "I'll be fine" or something ridiculous like that.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JurgenG
      Approved

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      And that's indeed a great idea, and all love for them for hosting such initiatives.

But I believe we -also- next to this, need something "fun" & shareable. The Mannequin challenge, icebucket challenge. are perfect examples, these things really do make a dent, research-wise.

It's just a matter of finding the "next viral". Which is certainly not that easy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JurgenG
      Approved

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I was thinking of some possibilities, a form of the Mannequin challenge where the camera moves across people and they all have to whistle a certain tone and trying to make a song that way.
      -It's fun & shareable / creative
      - It's relevant to T

Any other ideas?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JurgenG
      Approved

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am sure you all have a billion ideas!

6. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Any campaign ..at this point would need to address the core issue, which is that T can be so much more then an annoyance, it can ruin your life. I am sure that a lot of people doing the ice bucket challenge knew nothing about ALS. Just some awful disease ...
      Biggest problem with T is that its not taken seriously enough.
      Its tricky to address this issue without being depressing and potentially a harmful message to new sufferers.
      Its a catch 22 situation, I guess.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JurgenG
      Approved

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, it's true that people don't really know what the disease is. But that's not the most important thing. Getting the people (Neurologist/ENT/Other fields ..) to show intrest, and getting funds is what the goal should be.