Tinnitus Spike, Hearing Problems from Tripping on Rocks with Earplugs in?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Coyotesheaven, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      Today I was out on a steep trail that was not far from a freeway. The freeway noise was uncomfortable and too noisy so I popped in my earplugs in (not very correctly) to slightly block out the noise.

Well, bad luck and I slipped on the rocks going down the trail with the plugs in. Obviously, the grating noise from the slip was amplified in my head with earplugs in, but likely not above 75-below 80 or so decibels (it was not uncomfortably loud in the slightest). However, I could definitely feel the shock wave from the sudden jolt within my ears and throughout my body.

My tinnitus has spiked, I have a weird numbness in the back of my head, and my low (and very high) frequency hearing is down again. My headache is also back full on.

Was keeping the earplugs in a mistake, or is there something else going on with me? I am well aware of the occlusion effect, and seldom have any problems with it. This is just weird.

2. MikeP505
      Curious

MikeP505 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Punishment for being so darn good looking!
      Seems strange, but you said it spiked right after the fall. I would talk to the doctor about this. May have pulled muscle tissue and stretched nerve tissue? Hard to say. Once any damages that might have been done from the slip repair themselves, your T hopefully will also lower!! Be careful on those trails!! Hard call on the ear plugs. They are good, and bad when you have a slip like you had. Good cause the road close by was close by and was noisy, but may have amplified the shockwave from the fall. Damn if you do! Damn if you don't!

Stop falling down!!! lol

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      @MikeP505

Earplugs are a horrible creation. Your statement is exactly right. I don't know why, after all these years, they have never thought of making something safer!

4. Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      Dude it should go down, It's probably a spike from anxiety.. happens to me..
      btw I also live in Utah