Tips and Tricks to Get By

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jptsr1, Dec 24, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. Jptsr1

Jptsr1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1992
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music, Guns, Q-Tips
      Got this Idea from another thread. I thought it might be good to have a thread where we could talk about the extra little things we do to get relief from T, either regularly or just every once in a while. There's plenty of good stuff all over the forums but I thought this could be an emergency kit of sorts. I'll start with what I posted in the other thread.

"Something else I do during the real bad times thats counter intuitive is set my mask so that its barely detectable. This works best with my cricket mask. I set my iPhone to its lowest volume (no headphones) and place it in my office or in my bedroom about 5 or 6 feet away then i listen for it. Making my brain struggle to hear the crickets really takes the edge off those bad days when my T just cant be masked. I'm sure I didn't invent this but I discovered it by accident and it was a breakthrough moment for me. Its when I realized that no one method was the right one and that I may need to change things up from time to time in order to get relief."

• Like Like x 2
    2. Jptsr1

Jptsr1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1992
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music, Guns, Q-Tips
      Here's one that I think is extremely important. Do not start eliminating everything from your life because someone else tells you it makes tinnitus worse. I think this is one of the key factors that drive people towards depression. This is not to say that if you are under the care of a medical professional that you should not follow their instructions, nor do I mean to suggest that there wont be some things you may need to cut out so as not to aggravate your condition. My point is everyone is different and what may be bad for them might not effect you in the least.

Here is a list of things that I have been told in the past will make my tinnitus worse that have had no effect on me whatsoever:

alcohol
      flying
      driving with the window open
      listening to music (reasonable volume)
      cold drinks
      hot drinks
      chewing tough food (like jerky)
      Advil, Aleve, Aspirin, Actifed, Flonase, Sudafed, Irbesartan, Lipator
      going to the movies
      yelling
      swimming
      showering
      clapping

I am also able to drink moderate amounts of coffee with no ill effects. One or two cups and I'm fine but if I go much over that I do feel the effects.

That's all I can think of offhand. Again, this is not to say that these things have no effect on tinnitus. What I am getting at is they have no effect on MY tinnitus and may not have any effect on yours either. You need to figure out what your body will tolerate, not make wholesale life changes based on someone else's situation.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Natalie Roberts
      Depressed

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      I agree with you. My dr gave me a list that said low sodium, no caffiene and limited sugar. So for the past 9 weeks (actually longer due to other medical situations) I have literally been limiting everything I do and eat which honestly has resulted in some added depression. I'm also 9 months pregnant and have gained a very small amount of weight due to my strict eating all for fear that it "may make my tinnitus worse".. One thing I've been craving is ice cream over the last few weeks but haven't really allowed myself many cheats.. I literally go hungry sometimes because I have nothing to eat that I feel is low enough sodium/sugar. Pretty sad.. Over Christmas I actually ate whatever I wanted and said "F you, T!" and I didn't have a spike immediately or the day following so I think I'm going to try to allow myself some indulgences every now and then to help with my mental state. :) Everyone needs some ice cream every once in a while and I'm so tired of scanning every label for sodium/sugar content.

As for the other part of your post:

For me, when my T gets overwhelming it helps to remove myself from extra stimulus and go to a calm place that is more quiet (my T reacts to sound). Sometimes taking a long shower or bath helps. Also, sitting in my car with the radio off seems to calm my T down. I've also been practicing mindful meditation so I focus on those techniques when it gets really overwhelming and I can usually calm myself enough to function again.. Other things that help me is distracting myself with something else (cooking, playing with kids, cleaning, etc), reading support stories here or even just crying it out..

• Like Like x 1
    4. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      You know, no matter how many tricks we come up with, at the end of the day, we are still micro managing a miserable condition, we can't stand.

5. Natalie Roberts
      Depressed

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      What else can we do? We all are living with this condition and just doing our best to get by. :dunno:

6. Jptsr1

Jptsr1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1992
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music, Guns, Q-Tips
      True, but in my mind its better than sitting still and doing nothing. Some people are programmed to fight and others to flee. I don't sit and sulk about my poor vision, I get glasses or deal with contacts. At the end of the day my vision isn't any better but I use whats at my disposal to help get me through.