Tradition of 20 Years with My Sister Ruined by Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by dipp, May 1, 2017.

1. dipp
      Moonlighting

dipp Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Maybe stress and acoustic trauma
      Well, I´m a bit down and feel the need to write this here.

20 years ago, in 1997, when I was 10 and my sister 14, my father took us along with my mother to the MotoGP race in Jerez. I still remember that emotion and joy of the first year.

Since then, we have been going to the race all years. When I was 19, I got my driving license and then my sister and I kept going to Jerez without my father. It was the special yearly moment to my sister and I, and definitely one of the best moments of the year for us. Maybe it sounds silly, but it was cool because we knew that whatever happens to us, we had that date marked in our calendars and there were no doubts about if we were going to go or not. I moved from my parent´s house to another city, but it didn´t matter, we always found a way to go together and live a special moment.
      It´s not about seeing the race, but about doing something together and sharing a hobby.

But, then I got T and I´ve read about the dB of the motorbikes. It´s loud, although we can sit 80 meters distance and I can wear my Peltor X5A earmuffs all the time, but sadly I think I have to say no this year, even with purchased tickets. I have also some H, and I thought about going to feel like I still can have a normal life, but then I thought about it twice and the conclussion was that I was going to be scared all the time about the noise and I wouldn´t enjoy like I´m supposed to do. I´m thinking about it (the race is this Sunday), but I think that sadly the most sensible choice is to don´t go this year. I read about bone conduction and it scares me, even with earmuffs.

Maybe next year I´ll be somewhat better and with earplugs + earmuffs + sitting far I could manage to go.

I feel like this affliction keeps stealing us a lot of things.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Wear some decent ear muffs for protection and go. Don't let T ruin and control your lifelong family tradition. It will be difficult but as long as you are protected, you should be fine. The H is the worst part because it makes your hearing very sensitive and drives the fear. It will get better. Maybe not this year but it will. Take some good quality antioxidant and magnesium supplements for a few days before and few days after and along with the ear muffs you will be well protected.

http://ur.umich.edu/0607/Apr02_07/06.shtml

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1