Train or Plane?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sebastians, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guitars, loud girls and guns
      Would appreciate your opinions on the following dilemma. In two months from now, I will be travelling to Berlin and stay there for about a week. I have mild-moderate T and H (without pain).

I have two options to get there for the same budget:

- train ride (+-6.40 hours, one stopover). Could easily opt for first class for a modest 20€ fee.
      Pros: i can relax, read, sleep. No pressure issues. Filtered earplugs should be enough.
      Cons: long exposure to 'low-level' dbs. Read plenty of stories of people getting worse T and H after moderate noise exposure for longer periods.

- low-cost plane: 1.45 hours.
      Pros: shorter exposure to noise
      Cons: possible barotrauma, pressure issues, noise levels depending on seat. Earplugs and earmufs or noise-cancelling headphones?

I haven't flown since my acoustic trauma, but have been in longer car rides with no issues. Anything longer than 30-40 mins and i pop in my earplugs and take breaks every hour or so.

Thoughts?

2. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
    3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I understand your concerns Sebastian but since you're asking for opinions on this I'll give you mine. I would forget all worries and concerns about noise levels and choose whatever transport that you wish to travel. Use noise reduction earplugs if you want to just in case your ears start to feel uncomfortable. I used to have very severe hyperacusis, so bad conversation was painful and now I'm completely cured eighteen years on. I believe some people are far too quick to use earplugs, earmuffs etc. This overprotection of the ears can add fear of being exposed to sound and makes the auditory system hypersensitive and eventually can lead to a big problem if one isn't careful.

It is for this reason, I recommend people with hyperacusis should regularly get out into the environment and be around normal everyday sounds. Use sound enrichment, via sound machine or other sound source particularly at night, to help desensitize the auditory system.
      Safe travel
      Michael

4. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      order a pair or Peltor x5a and you can travel anyway you want, train, plane, battle tank etc..and no need for earplugs.