Trigeminal Nerve and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by truesilence, Aug 31, 2015.

1. truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Just been reading some research that an irratated trigeminal nerve can affect your DCN and could cause T. Reason I bring this up is that one ENT said that since I don't have hearing loss that maybe something is going on with my DCN. I'm experiencing some strange physical systems eg cold water sensations and muscle spasms and head pressure. A couple of days ago I got some food stuck in one of my molars and every time I bit down I got this squeaky eeeeee sound. Wtf!

Anyone out there got any advice?

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      With out goggling it is it the face and mouth nerve ?...?lol glynis

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Yes!

4. Jaw related problems like muscle tension in the masseter or any kind of TMJD can give you could and hot water sensations. I have some issues with my jaw and the symptoms above comes and goes. The head pressure you describe is common as well. Try to relax the jaw as much as possible even if it´s easier said than done and don´t worry to much about the Tr-nerve. Muscle relaxants very well for me but i don´t overuse them

5. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Temporomandibular joint problems can cause tinnius.TMJ for short .
      Jaw joint inflamation and soft tissue and irritated nerve can cause tinnitus and as its right by your inner ear it can irritate the facial nerve thats housed in the middle ear also causing facial feelings too along with tinnitus ...hope that helps.
      As we are not medically qualified having it medically diagnosed is the right thing to do like you have...lol glynis

• Like Like x 1
    6. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      If we have irritated nerves in face and neck wouldn't neurotin and muscle relaxer help that?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Neurologist would not give me muscle relaxers or even a short course of steroids. I got Gabapentin which I'm too scared to take.

8. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi @Truesilance,
      How are you getting on with Gabapentin ?....lots of love glynis

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Hi Glynis. I haven't taken the Gabapentin yet as I'm too scared. I'm not convinced that this is the right drug for me and I'm concerned about the side effects.

10. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Have a chat with your doctor if your worried.
      I Know its used for nerve pain and a muscle relaxer too.
      I took it for a few months but changed over to Amiltryptaline for nerve problem in my spine and works great but did have side effects when reduced the dose down to 50mg with a slow taper .
      Are you managing ok with out them ? ...lots of love glynis

11. no life

no life Member

I was taking Gabapentin 900mg a day for few months for my tmj, didn't help and had no effect on my tinnitus at all.

12. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've taken gabapentine,only 200 mg a day for neck and fibromyalgia it seemed to lower mine some days or maybe placebo effect since it was a very low dosage,I went up to 300 one time and had a panic attack .dunno if it was from that since I get those anyways..I'm scared of that drug too.I have taken it for a week then stopped again ,afraid I'm gonna really make things worse with my tinnitus going on and off of it..mine has been a 9/10 the past 3 days but I just did different exersices for neck in PT.today its at baseline as of right now thank God!

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Yeah, I'm really scared of making things worse. I don't have pain, just a lot of muscle tightness and muscle spasms. A couple of weeks ago my neck muscles went a bit mad and somehow opened my Eustachian tubes!!

14. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      i understand truesilence, my neck and shoulder muscles are always tight and mine hurts too... also have tmj, but splint didnt help me, just took my money... these past 3 days have been horrific... my tinnitus was sooo loud and in my head and ears, felt like my brain was going crazy ,it was so loud... maybe going on and off babapentin could be a cuae, or the physical therapy on my neck and traction. im not sure, bit im hoping it never gets like that again, i had it like that for 1 night about 2 years ago and ended up in ER... i may have to take gabapentin again due to fibromyalgia and neck pain... hang in there!!! at least your tubes were opened up!!:woot:

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Managing ok under the circumstances. But I really don't want to take any drugs unless absolutely necessary. Thank you Glynis

• Like Like x 1
    16. Paromita
      Cool

Paromita Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure, maybe dental and facial nerve
      Hi,

I have the same symptoms, what is a DCN ? Who will treat me ? The nuerologist ? Thanks, Mita