TRT

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by Gill Hayes, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. Gill Hayes
      Happy

Gill Hayes Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress I think
      Hi Dr Nagler,

I developed Tinnitus just 3 weeks ago and am still in the 'scared witless' stage. I have read about TRT and seen your comments about it. It seems excellent therapy, my question is - I live in the North West of England and am not sure whether this therapy is available on our NHS or whether I will need to go to a private clinic and pay for this. Any ideas ?

Also, I had some neck and back problems a couple of months ago (and a whiplash injury from a fall 3 years ago), my neck still pops, cracks and aches. Do you think this could be a cause of my tinnitus ?

Sorry for all the questions.
      Gill

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Hi @Gill -

I so understand that stage - although when I was going through it, my name for it was not quite as diplomatic as yours. So to keep things really simple, there are three things you should know about your 'scared witless' stage. First of all, it is very common. Second, it ends. Folks typically do not remain scared witless forever. That's why it's called a stage. And the third thing to remember is that the folks you will meet on sites like this are not at all representative of the tinnitus community at large. This is for all intents and purposes a support board. Folks are here by and large because they are not doing particularly well. That's why they seek support. But most individuals who have tinnitus - even loud screaming tinnitus - do very well indeed. You just won't find them hanging out on support boards!

And one other thing to keep in mind. There is a very good chance that given just a bit more time, your tinnitus will just settle on down on its own. You've only had it for a few weeks!

Well, my first thought is to ask you not to put the cart before the horse. Your initial stop on the NHS will likely be with your GP, who will hopefully refer you to an ENT for an evaluation. You need an exam and some certain basic tests to determine whether or not your tinnitus is caused by something that can be corrected and in-so-doing mitigate your tinnitus. The very rare causes of tinnitus that represent a potential threat to your health will be ruled out as well. And by the time all that's done, your tinnitus may indeed have resolved on its own! If not, then TRT is certainly one possibility, but there are other effective options to consider. Should you ultimately decide on TRT, then I would probably go outside the NHS and see Jacqui Sheldrake in London. Many clinicians claim to do TRT, but the quality is all over the board. If you are miserable enough to do TRT, then I think you should go to the best. And in the UK that would be Jacqui Sheldrake.

Likely not. But if your neck actually gives you discomfort, then I'd get some treatment on that basis - and view any resultant improvement in my tinnitus as a fortunate bonus rather than a reason to have your neck looked at in the first place.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Stephen Nagler