Tumor Anxiety

Discussion in 'Support' started by dland123, Jan 19, 2016.

1. dland123

dland123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hello everyone,

I am a 25 year old recent college graduate from NY with a history of health anxiety. In 2013 I went to the neurologist with complaints of headaches and seeing double whenever I would look at text on a computer screen. She thought it was nothing but only ordered the MRI w & w/o contrast because I begged. Thankfully, it came back negative.

I've had this whooshing sound in my right year as far as I can remember (maybe since I was 10 years old?). However, it was always a constant and subtle noise that sounded like wind by the ocean and never bothered me. Recently, that noise turned into the well known whooshing sound that matches by heartbeat. Sometimes its extremely loud especially if I bend over or did some strenuous activity and it goes away when I gently place my palm on my neck.

I went to the ENT last October and she ordered me a CT, CTA, and CTV of my head, neck, and auditory canals. They all came back negative. I only found out they were negative because I had to go to the radiologist department myself after a week to pick up the results because she never bothered to call me back.

I thought I was in the clear because the sound doesn't bother me; I just wanted to make sure it was nothing life threatening. Then my health anxiety kicked in and I started reading about the differences between MRIs and CT scans only to find that MRIs are much more accurate at finding things such as small tumors. I told my ENT that my main concern was finding a tumor and she assured me that they are very rare, my sole symptom of PT isn't convincing, and in the instance that one is found, it would 99.99% likely be benign.

I've been skimming this discussion board, specifically this one on pulsatile tinnitus and it seems no one on here's cause is because of a tumor. I know I'm probably just overthinking it but I wanted to know how likely my PT could be due to a tumor if nothing showed up on the CT scan?

Also my insurance preauthorized my MRI to be done in a facility where the machine is 1.5T and not 3.0T. Will that make much of a difference? Surely the doctor took this into consideration when the prescription was being filled out.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the last 2-3 days have been extremely blissful, I can hear it but its extremely faint and only gets loud if I bend over.

2. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      I think you need to relax.

Also, pulsatile tinnitus can either be caused by something benign, or something serious. Seeing as it hasnt killed you yet, its probably benign.
      So, now to find out what causes it.. either a twisted artery in your neck or some other sort of blood vessel near your ear. When is your MRI?

• Like Like x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dland123

dland123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I hope you're right. It's on Monday.

4. Zorro!
      Wtf

Zorro! Member

Yes, you need to relax. You're definitely over-thinking things here, but then again, many of us on this site have done the same thing at some point. I suspect that you will be fine. If you had a malignant tumor it would most likely have other signs with it, such as markers in the blood, etc.

No matter what though, we're here for you. (y)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      You'll be fine. Maybe they'll find the cause and can offer a cure.. surgery probably, but a cure nonetheless.

• Like Like x 1
    6. AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety, Insomnia, and a Fan at Night
      Yeah, hopefully it is a tumor. Wish my T was calused by a tumor; could be done with this with a lil surgery. I'd work the rest of my life to pay-off the bill, too--gladly.
      Even if it is life threatening(rare), as long as there is someone nearby that can spot you laying on the floor and dial 911, then there's a decent chance you'll be fine(and then tinnitus-free also).

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      For most of us with pulsatile tinnitus, the cause is something benign. However, it is worthwhile to get checked out, just to rule out any serious conditions. I'm glad you're having the MRI on Monday. It will probably help to put your worst fears to rest.

I'm sure your doctor scheduled you for the right type of MRI for your situation.

Please do let us know what the outcome of your MRI is after you get the test results.

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dland123

dland123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Ok thanks everyone. It probably isn't anything dangerous. I just have my ups and downs where one moment I'm fine and then next I'm panicking about brain cancer. I'll return once I get my results. Thanks again!

• Hug Hug x 3
    9. AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, I can relate to this.

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dland123

dland123 Member

Tinnitus Since:

Have you had an MRI and CT scan? I'm sure we're just over thinking it but hopefully that can bring you some relief.

11. AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I mean I can related to freaking out with hypochondriasis. I'm just a middle-ear myoclonus sufferer posting in the pulsatile section.

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dland123

dland123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unfortunately due to a clerical error from the ENT office I wasn't able to get my MRI done and will have to wait until Wednesday. I will keep everyone posted!

13. Cazb78

Cazb78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No idea - yet!
      Hi. I was like You a few weeks ago. I have heard my pulse in my right ear for ages and never thought anything of it. That was until I mentioned it to my Dr who immediately said it needed referring. I suffer terrible health anxiety and stupidly read lots on google and managed to convince myself I must have acoustic neuroma or some other tumour or aneurysm. I had an MRI which lasted an hour. They did 45 minutes without due and the last 15 with dye. I am in UK and have private health care where the scans are lengthier and more thorough than you probably get with NHS. All came back clear and unremarkable, apart from the fact there's fluid in my mastoid area behind both ears and that there's a cyst on my brain that loads of us have and is harmless. Chances are your scan will be fine too. Acoustic neuromas are extremely rare, as are most brain tumours and I think you'd have a lot more symptoms if you did have a tumour - easy for me to say now I know I don't have one!! Let us know how you get on and good luck xxx

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dland123

dland123 Member

Tinnitus Since:

Thanks for the reassurance! I've definitely calmed down as time passed because my PT has also come down in terms of noise level and like you said, I don't have any other symptoms. Now the only thing on my mind is getting this MRI over with which I was told was supposed to last 90 mins to two hours!

15. Cazb78

Cazb78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No idea - yet!
      90 mins to 2 hours?! Crikey! I found it ok though. I closed my eyes throughout and listened to music. Treat it as some time out if you can :)

• Like Like x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dland123

dland123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks, I'll try my best!

17. Cazb78

Cazb78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No idea - yet!
      How was your scan today?

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dland123

dland123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Very boring and 5 minutes into it I had an itch! But thankfully, the whole thing only took an hour as opposed to the time they originally estimated. Results come in tomorrow and Friday and is my appointment with the ENT.

• Hug Hug x 1
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dland123

dland123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      So my results were negative and my worries of anything life threatening are gone! However as the ENT suggested from earlier CT scans, my mastoid bone is thin and she suspects that could be the cause of my pulsatile tinnitus but she is not 100% sure. She said its a very low risk surgery and I would be able to leave the hospital the same day. I think for now I'm able to live with it and I could always get a second opinion if needed.

Thought it was funny to mention that the MRI tech forgot to do an MRV of my neck but did everything else (MRI, MRA, MRV of head, neck, and auditory canals). The doctor said if the CTA, CTV, and MRA all came back negative then its not worth going back just for an MRV of the neck.

• Like Like x 2
    20. AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The surgery sounds sweet. Let us know if you get it.

• Like Like x 1
    21. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I'm glad to hear that all the results of your tests were negative! If you do decide to have the surgery, I'd be interested to hear how it went for you.

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Like Like x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dland123

dland123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Will do and thanks again everyone!

• Hug Hug x 1
    23. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Great to hear your tests were ok and I'm sure any surgery will be sorted when needed.
      Nice hear some good news.....lots of love glynis

• Hug Hug x 1