Unilateral Tinnitus, High Frequency Hearing Loss — Cause: Headphones Use? Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by FabC, Apr 26, 2021.

1. FabC

FabC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 4, 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello,

I am 48 years old and developed tinnitus this January 6, 2021. It has been a tough four months since.

I am wondering if there is a subgroup of you folks who would be similar to my situation:

I developed my tinnitus in the right ear during meditation, same day as the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine, however I think it may be due to prolonged headphone use. I bought some earbuds in December and feel that may have been the tipping point. I have always tried to listen within bounds, but perhaps I was not careful enough.

My hearing is very good up to 8,000 Hz from my hearing test, I suspect that my hearing loss is at around 12,000 Hz.

The base sound is a rhythmic hissing in the right ear (my ENT did not detect a pulsatile tinnitus). However, the sounds have spread to my head, and I have experienced intermittent pure tones and most annoyingly, a tea kettle sound in my brain.

Although I have had a rough April with insomnia and anxiety issues due to these sounds, I am somewhat optimistic that there is a slow decrease in perceived intensity and have experience some rare moments of quiet when I felt like my normal self unlike the previous months.

My questions:
      1. What is the best treatment for this profile (very high frequency hearing loss, good hearing, unilateral)
      2. Is there hope for a remission for these types of cases? Or if not, return to a semblance of normality with the tinnitus heard only in "quiet rooms"?
      3. If everyone as they age lose their hearing at such high frequencies, why don't they get tinnitus? Does this suggest my tinnitus will diminish in time?

Thank you so much for your time and consideration in reading this and I wish the best of fortunes.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Jrblovsky

Jrblovsky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Christmas 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NOISE/Menieres Who knows
      It varies from person to person. Hope and pray it goes away. This is a life of complete and utter hell.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Reading around here, if you protect your hearing, it should diminish.

• Like Like x 1