Very Worried, Please Help.

Discussion in 'Support' started by LG88, Mar 12, 2017.

1. LG88
      Scared

LG88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Not sure..
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      hi.

For a few months now (maybe longer and I just haven't noticed it) When I retract my jaw (do a chin tuck movement) my tinnitus gets louder and I get ear pain, and some neck tightness.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

TMJ joint is painful when I press on it and I do have jaw clicking on one side, plus a great deal of the causes of TMJD syndrome I seem to prescribe to (slept on the sofa for ages, forward head posture, weight training etc).

The trouble is, I'm incredibly worried I have a nasopharyngeal tumour in my nasal passages blocking the eaustachien tube or some sort of throat tumour causing it.

My theory is when I do the chin tuck movement it somehow presses on a tumour and that's causing my symptoms of ear pain and so on. (Whether that theory is majorly flawed I don't know, or me blowing it out of proportion I don't know)

I've never heard of anyone with ear pain and tinnitus getting it only when that do that movement, which is why I'm worried.

Another couple of things I should add is that after doing the movement once and it hurting, doing the movement afterwards again doesn't hurt anyomore for a while.
      Also, if I put my head in the proper postural position with the ear over the shoulder (I have slight forward head posture) and keep it there for a while, the movement stops causing pain for a while.

I should add I do have very bad health anxiety.

I went to the doctor about the issues and he said it was likely TMJD issues or sternocleidomastoid based, but I've never heard of anyone having this.

I'm terrified to go back to the doctors for fear they'll tell me something awful. I had a panic attack before going in last time.

Thanks a lot.

2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I use to worry, worry, worry as well. Not anymore. If you feel that something is wrong, go see a dr and get an MRI to ease your concerns.

Don't create fear for yourself, let the doctor help you and give you the answers....

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LG88
      Scared

LG88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Not sure..
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Well I did go to the doctor and he said it was my neck, he thought, or the THJ joint.
      I honestly don't think I could go through with an MRI my anxiety is that bad,

Thanks for the reply.

4. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @LG88
      If you are truly worried, then you are going to have to get an MRI.
      My sister has terrible health anxiety so I know your struggle and I know that reassurance is not necessarily going to put your mind at ease.
      I do know a lot of people here on the forum have somatic tinnitus (that is they can manipulate their noise by moving their jaw, clenching their teeth or doing something similar). So you being able to make your tinnitus louder with the jaw tuck is certainly not unusual in itself.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LG88
      Scared

LG88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Not sure..
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for the reply.
      It's not so much the tinnitus hats worrying me, it's the ear and neck pain.
      Maybe I will just have to get an MRI, I'm so terrified to do it though.

I can't find evidence anywhere online for what I have

6. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi @LG88,
      I was just going to say it sounds like a neck problem because the chin tuck was a move my physio did with me for a trapped nerve in my neck.
      Have MRI and try to stay calm as anxiety will with out dought spike your tinnitus.
      Getting support and counselling for anxiety will help and you can use it through out your life in a calm positive way through the ups and downs in life.

Finding ways to help you cope with tinnitus and anxiety will help you move forward in a positive way.

Wont hurt see your dentist to rule out TMJ .
      If your at school or college, get a doctors letter show the head of year for extra support and time as concentration can be a problem for some people causing added stress
      ....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 2