Visiting Doctor, What Do You Think About My Suggestions for Medication?

Discussion in 'Support' started by meeb, May 2, 2017.

1. meeb
      Sad

meeb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud clubs initially, now louder due to noise & vibrations.
      I was going to ask for pramipexole after reading this..

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...onist-pramipexole-in-presbycusis-patients.84/

but I heard that it was only temporary, I still may give it a go as my doctor thinks that I have over active neurons firing in my brain, his response was to put me on Amitriptyline which made my tinnitus spike.

I used to take valium but wondered if any of the other Benzos are better.

I don't want to take Anti depressants, they make my tinnitus worse.

I was also thinking of asking about Oxytocin.

I have taken two weeks off of work sick, I am half way through and I have only had one day, which was the other day when my tinnitus subsided, funny enough it was after intercourse which I had a feeling in the first place would help but it came back again a day later, this is why I was thinking about asking about Oxytocin.

I am at the lowest point I have been for a long time.

I am in the United Kingdom.

I remember taking one of my ex girlfriends bipoloar tablets which made me sleep well, I didn't wake up for 12 hours, I woke up and didn't feel bad at all and my anxiety disappeared, I felt like a new person, I am going to ask her what it was, I am not sure why it worked well on me, I do have some traits of bipolar, up and down, but it did rid me of my anxiety for the day after.

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      It sounds like you have a daily recipe for silence...

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      meeb
      Sad

meeb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well that's what got me thinking about oxytocin as I am single and don't really do that too often.
      Saying that, I was wrong, the tinnitus went quiet after a mixture of valium and melatonin I took one night, it spiked up again as soon as I began driving as I was getting close to the motorway, so obviously anxiety and over active neurons are the key factors here.

• Genius Genius x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      meeb
      Sad

meeb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks :LOL:, anyway, the Doctor said she wouldn't prescribe me Quetiapine (which was the tablet I took that my Ex girlfriend had) as I am not bipolar even though I told her it made my anxiety go away the day after taking one tablet, waste of a trip as Pramipexole isn't available in the United Kingdom either. Both things I wanted to try to take the edge off of my tinnitus. I asked for something for my anxiety apart from antidepressants, something maybe other than Valium but in the same category, no luck. Thanks Doc!

5. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      meeb
      Sad

meeb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'll keep trying, thank you for that information. funny how they love to hand out antidepressants and benzos like candy though.

7. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @meeb
      Did your doctor give you any help at all?
      Was going to suggest Nortryptiline, but you didn't want anti depressants and it's related to Amitryptiline.
      Maybe another doctor would be more helpful?

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      meeb
      Sad

meeb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No, not that time, I will try a different doctor. They aren't very knowledgable about medication are they?

9. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      I'm on it now. Apart from the vomiting, nausea and flu like symptoms occasionally I don't think its actually done much lol. I wrote a bit more about it in the seperate thread though.
      Xanax and Klonpoin are the most used here for Tinnitus; both are more potent (stronger) than Diazepam (Valium). I prefer Xanax as neither reduce the volume for me (they do help others) but the Xanax hits my anxiety quicker and leaves the body within the day due to the smaller half life.
      How do you know? Have you tried them all? Give Amitriptyline, Nortriptyline or Mirtazapine a go! All seem to be the most effective at helping with T. Some people have even reported a volume reduction with the above ADs. Zoloft, Paxil and Cymbalta seem to be used regularly too.
      Speak with your doctor, but it really sounds like an AD is what you need to help you over this bad patch. See above for suggestions :)

There is other meds with anecdotal success. Campral, Baclofen, Keppra, Gabapentin (combine with Klonpoin), Lyrica (newer version of Gabapentin, but didn't work for me), Tegretol, Vigabatrin, Lamictal, Lamotrigine, Primidone and Memantine (didn't work for me).

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      meeb
      Sad

meeb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have tried Citalopram, Paxil and Amitriptyline, Citalopram spiked my tinntitus, Paxil didn't but they discontinued it in the UK due to issues with coming off of them, Amitriptyline may have spiked, I do want to try Xanax which I will ask for next time and ask about Mirtazapine, how does Mirtazapine cause weight gain? Is it just water retention?

11. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      With ADs, you need to take them for a few weeks sometimes a month before you see any benefit and they often spike your tinnitus initially too so most people understably freak out and stop straight away!

I would still try clonazepram before Xanax as many people here seem to get good therapeutic effect from it and is safer.

Mirtzapine makes you eat, and eat and eat! Ha. If self controlled you may not put on weight, but you always feel hungry on it.