We Have Grit!

Discussion in 'Support' started by fishbone, Jul 18, 2019.

1. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Guys and gals, It's Fish and I wanted to write a post to inspire the members that are going through a hard time because of the affliction of tinnitus. I have been at this for 31 years and the tinnitus is super intrusive and just brutal. It's loud, it's crazy and I still have my "WTH" is this noise coming out my head moment.

I walk your paths every second I live. Having loud tinnitus and having poor hearing is not an easy life at all. I will say this though, I have been trying, adjusting, adapting to the tinnitus for a long time. When I got afflicted with the first static noise, low hum... I asked WTH is this? Where is this noise coming from? I would ask my mom and say "mom, can you hear this?". From the very beginning I took a PROACTIVE stance on what was going on. I took my tinnitus for granted in the early years, I had a low level static noise but I did have hyperacusis to join it's scene.

Through out the years I kept close contact with my audiologist and my counselor to talk things out and just clear my head about what was going and what my issues were. I went through numerous clinics and found no help at all. My only help was ME and how I DEALT with what was going on in my head.

I used to get VERY frustrated and angry and would say WHY has this happened to me? What have I done to deserve this? I did for a long time and I burned my emotions and the candles even more. It would take control of me and just grip me.

I remember when my tinnitus had progressed from mild to semi intermediate level of ringing and at that time my relationship with my ex was on a downward spiral. I shed tears because the tinnitus was affecting my relationship with her.

I have been PROACTIVE through out my tinnitus journey. It's been a long ride and LOTS of trials, Errors along the way. Not many understood the inner demons that lived inside the head because of the ringing and ear pains. Many ignored it and just lived their lives, while I was dealing with this ordeal.

People would still play their LOUD music, when they were told that my ears are damaged. I have always shown respect to people. The key was this, these people were never going to change. Humans can be selfish creatures and change can be a DIFFICULT thing. Many will not care about what WE go through.

It got to a point that I finally STOOD MY GROUND. I finally put me FIRST and my ears FIRST.

If someone did not respect my situation, they were gone from my life. They were no longer given the open arms anymore. I will not damage my ears further because of people that are ignorant and careless.

I made it known that my ears were messed up. There was no pride, ego about it. It was my REALITY and what I was afflicted with. All of us need to STAND OUR GROUND.

We need to educate people on what we are dealing with. If they accept us, great. If not, we surround ourselves with people that will accept and love us.

We have GRIT, we have the WILLPOWER to be, and do what we want. I use that GRIT daily in my life. I use that GRIT when I need to read a book, to learn something new to complete a new project.

I use that GRIT when my ears are screaming like hell and I have no energy to go to the ENT to possibly get some new answers.

I use that GRIT when I try to talk to a beautiful gal even though I can barely hear her and conversate like a normal person.

This post is all about YOU and your GRIT. Tinnitus is going to afflict us. It wants to slow us down and make us feel like chit. I feel like it all the time, I still shake my head at the HELL the screams out my head 24-7.

I have accepted my challenge and I will handle it.

Life is going to go forward, the clock is going forward, the days and years are moving forward.

Take that GRIT/WILLPOWER and move forward. It will be very hard, it will be challenging but you deserve the best, we deserve the best. All of us have that courage, declare your stance on tinnitus and go after it.

IT'S NEVER EASY, it's not for me. It's very hard. It may bring tears... but YOU CAN DO IT!

No one else is going to pick us up or change things for me or you, NO ONE! Only we can do it and I AM DOING IT.

Do look for treatments and advancements in possibly curing the tinnitus, but at the same time use that GRIT, declare your path to success and PUSH FOR IT!

I care for all you people, I am in your shoes and I just try to give some motivational nuggets to this site... bless all!

PS-This has been a long post but I wanted to deliver value and love to this site as usual smile.png

• Winner x 10
      • Like x 3
      • Hug x 3
      • Agree x 2
      • Optimistic x 2
      • Friendly x 1
    2. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Thank you, you are always so positive and inspiring.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Christophe_85
      Alone

Christophe_85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Thank you a lot!

As @Candy said, you are always very positive despite your strong tinnitus!

Always happy to read you... :)

I wish you all the best in your life!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    4. ChrisBoyMonkey

ChrisBoyMonkey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      "I am mighty Thor!!!" From when it was The Hammer.

• Like Like x 2
    5. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Are you referring to “The Hammer”, as in MC Hammer who I believe came from Oakland.

6. ChrisBoyMonkey

ChrisBoyMonkey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Lol good guess! The post originally had a different name, it was "The Hammer", so that's why I added my Thor comment.

7. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      I want relief not grit. We have to have a certain amount of grit to tolerate our noise. It’s like driving around with a muffler that is shot and really loud. Most people would replace the muffler. I’m more of a fixer type if at all possible.

Dr. Shulman never mentioned grit when I talked to him the other day.We are supposed to grin and bear it huh?

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Just joking mate... thanks for understanding.

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Grit is about finding a solution that works for YOU. Finding a method or methods that helps us live with our condition, till a possible cure comes along. That's the whole point of this post.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      And idea why it progressed so much over time? This is literally my absolute biggest fear currently, feeling ok with my level of tinnitus right now but having to deal with worse tinnitus in the future. I try not to think about it, but sometimes it is really eating me up from inside.

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I blame myself for my increase in my tinnitus and hearing loss. I am honest in my posts. I went to too many loud events and did not protect my ears that well. I did not have such a forum or a mentor to help me when I got my tinnitus. Tinnitus just by itself should not drastically change(most of the time). Some underlying reason should occur (most of the time) for it to spike or reach a new baseline. Stress can be a culprit that can cause tons of spikes.

Reducing stress, avoiding loud spots, and taking meds that are not going to irritate our tinnitus is how I would approach it. My hearing loss bothers me more than my intrusive tinnitus and that is because of the loud events I went to. Yes, our bodies and ears and possibly the tinnitus can possibly get worst as we get older, this true. The impact of loud noise and stress can cause issues and I would avoid them.

The impact of constant loud noises and events affected my tinnitus and my hearing. That's why I come here to share insights and help people to not get the hearing loss and hopefully not the intrusive tinnitus I have :)

Live your life, protect your ears and reduce your stress. Build up a good mindset as well, it all goes a long way in life...

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    12. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What happened to the HAMMER metaphor, I liked it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Hi @fishbone. I agree with you. Just this last Friday we were eating out and there was a family with young kids that screeched non-stop. It was like having someone stab my ear with an ice pick. So, I left quickly. I excused myself from our guest and said meet you down stairs. Take your time.

I hate when some people walk on egg shells (pardon the pun of that sound) around me also. I am afraid to say much sometimes.

I find most people around me are kind and understanding. Except a former neighbor who enjoyed placing a loud boom box thing right next to our bedroom window. She was insane anyways and has thankfully moved.

So many unexpected things. For example on the same weekend we were window shopping on a cute street in the beach where we live. All of a sudden out of nowhere about a hundred motorcycles came racing down the street running the stop signs and surrounding cars who would honk non-stop. I ran inside a store that sells pillows and ran to the back with two pillows on my head. I did have ear plugs in but that did not help.

The gang left as quickly as they came so the police never caught up with them.

I struggled for several days because of that and had a house guest to take care of.

Like you I have had severe tinnitus for years. So I do have "grit". But if this happened in the early stages I don't think I would fair very well.

I hope your dogs are okay....

• Like Like x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's all about educating people and standing your ground. We can try to let people know what we are going through and what our issues can be. At times people may listen, at times they may not. I was at this gal's house last year and we were talking and I turned my back and she turned on her blender and she has a high power blender. It caught me by surprise and I instantly put my fingers in both ears. She started to giggle and laugh and I still covered my ears and did not give a hoot about....what she was thinking.

To have a spike and then have further hearing loss and not being able to hear because of the increase in the tinnitus volume is painful. She also loves to just sign and is a loud person in general. I have cut my connection with her and do not see her as much anymore.

We can try to educate people, but some really don't care about what we go through, they fully know what we deal with...but just don't care. It's not about being rude or anything, but we need to make sure that WE are fully ok and do what is best for us. I have cut my relationships with a few people, because of their ignorance and it's perfectly ok, my ears thank me and my well-being thanks me.

Unfortunately tinnitus, life and certain ordeals make us act this way, but IT IS-WHAT IT IS and we do our best to help ourselves......

TY- my dogs are still with me and I love them more than anything, but they are a PIA too :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Simply - MEDITATE.

• Winner Winner x 1
    16. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Try drinking a tall glass of prune juice every day.

17. ChrisBoyMonkey

ChrisBoyMonkey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      It helps?

18. ChrisBoyMonkey

ChrisBoyMonkey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I agree. Go back to The Hammer. It was a little cheesy and made me laugh a little while reading it in a way but it was still badass.

19. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No, I was joking. Contains a lot of iron though. And I didn’t mean to offend @Jazzer. He is a nice person.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
      • Like Like x 2
    20. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Here are 11 top health benefits of prunes and prune juice.
      • Helps digestion. Prunes are high in fiber, which helps prevent hemorrhoids brought on by constipation. ...
      • Controls the urge. ...
      • High in potassium. ...
      • High in vitamins. ...
      • Provides a good source of iron. ...
      • Builds bones and muscles. ...
      • Reduces cholesterol levels. ...
      • Lowers blood pressure.

https://www.organicfacts.net/prune-juice.html

21. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have absolutely no GRIT. Lost it somewhere. Just in case anyone else is reading this and feeling bad they don’t.

• Hug Hug x 1
    22. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      78EDB38B-E370-410C-BB0C-35930964ABCC.gif
      I love me some grit with shrimps :love:

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    23. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Great post. And never feel bad or awkward about leaving a situation that may damage your ears. Mine's spiking from a silly action 2 and a half weeks ago. Never again will I allow that to happen. Great post and we need to be strong. It's ok to feel down and low. But we should never let this become the norm!

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. Sevv

Sevv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      I watched a TV show today about random people living for three weeks in the bush (sort of like cavemen). This got me thinking. Our ancestors had to constantly deal with difficult situations, like we do with tinnitus. So I wondered: why didn't they just all suicide? I guess it mainly comes down to being part of a close community. This provides you with a purpose, emotional support and responsibility. And others generally experienced the same or similar difficulties as you, so you could share your burden. I guess in all these poor places in the world it isnt so different today. These people generally have a community around them. Hell, it's the same for blind and deaf people, who are just part of their own community.
      I guess for the individual life would ironically be a lot easier if everybody had T/H, since it would bring people together in the face of a common adversity. At least we have tinnitustalk, but I wouldn't be unhappy if there were something like "tinnitus anonymous"-groups around.

• Informative Informative x 1
    25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don't feel down and low, not at all. Why? You/me/us got afflicted with tinnitus and we have to do our best to live our lives. You do not want a new baseline, no one does. We do not want further hearing damage, we don't. I have educated people about tinnitus and they come back with absurd comments and I hold myself back. The world will NOT pick us up, only you me/US will pick ourselves up. I have a huge heart as well, all of this forum knows it, but I am not naive either.

Stand your ground, put YOU and your ears first. if people like it great, if not find people that will accept/adjust and adore you!

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      No offence bud.
      Unlike some - I do not have long toes.
      Anycase - you’re quite nice your own self
      - in a weird kinda way.....x
      (tee-hee)

27. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just remember one glass of prune juice a day keeps the doctor away. I explained all the benefits above bud. You ignored my last recommendation didn't you bud?

28. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Very perceptive of you.
      (I thought you were taking the piss.
      As in - “Blow it out your arse Howard!”
      Blazing Saddles.)

• Funny Funny x 1
    29. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      An interesting story I would like to share.

I was talking with a tinnitus researcher and he told me a story about an experiment / challenge they did with journalists. They basically sent an audio file to a set of journalists, 10 or so, and they were to use an iPod at a specific sound level and listen to it for 24 hours straight. The audio file contained a sound track that simulated what it is like to live with moderate-severe tinnitus. It has different sounds playing and would randomly spike to simulate what it is like. If the journalists turned down the volume at any point, they lost. If they took they headphones our for even a second, they lost. The challenge was simple, just listen to the track for a full 24 hours without interruption.

Guess how many lasted the full 24 hours? Zero.

I don’t think people realize how torturous this thing is. I have a lot of respect for people who deal with tinnitus because I know what we have to go through.

• Like Like x 4
      • Informative Informative x 1
    30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It takes lots of courage to deal with tinnitus, respect to all that face it.....

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1