Went to My First Wedding

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jomo, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      So I started off the cocktail hour with my custom musician ear plugs and the 15 dB reduction.

That did well but when it came time to enter the main dining room the music was that around the 100 dB level.

What seemed to start to bother me was more the bass than anything else.

My right ear is probably the ear that has the damage because that was the one that gave me a little issue.

I started to feel soreness in that yo I started to feel soreness in that ear but it was coming from a deeper spot inside. I took breaks and switched the plug level to 30 dB.

It seemed to do the trick then again the music at that point did not have too much bass. At this point I am experiencing no increase in my T but I think the soreness in my right ear is still there but it is practically unnoticeable.

Hope this gives some of you guys an idea of what you may experience.

Has anybody experienced this soreness that I am describing?

Edit: i may be noticing a little more soreness in the right ear. Smh

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Srry for the typos smh

3. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      Do you have 'fullness'?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No...everything seems fine...hearing is fine...t level normal..just that occasional slight pain coming from deep inside. I kept my plugs on for a few hours when i got home as well.

5. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Are you talking about soreness from the plugs? If you're talking about the sound causing it, then no I haven't experienced it. I've been to my own wedding lol, and if you look closely in certain photos you can see my earplugs.

I've been to my own stag do (bachelor party), and seen various bands and performers live using my earplugs, and have been fine. I stay away from speakers and I use an appropriate filter for the job. If I go to the cinema I use my 10db filter.

Be wary of your ear wax. Using plugs regularly can compact wax deeper into your ear, and that can cause soreness.

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No its not the plugs...def from the bass..thats why i am not really feeling it anymore...only felt it with the thump of the bass when i was at the wedding. It did linger a bit after

7. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      Can someone with more insights tell me if I am wrong or right about the following?
      Bass has quite a low freq which means your ears don't get as easily damaged from let's say 100 dB bass compared to 100 dB high freq sound.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I don't know the answer, but I'm curious about why you think that statement is true? You must have some kind of intuition to postulate it.

9. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      The hair cells responsible for hearing low frequencies are deeper inside the ear.

Also:

"My guess would be that high frequencies cause more damage since energy in a waveincreases with frequency. [...] That means a loud low frequency wave can easially be more damaging than a lower high frequency wave. But for two waves with same loudness, the high frequency wave does the most damage. I think the low frequency waves can appear to be more damaging, since theyre usually louder. I guess very loud high frequent sounds are pretty rare"

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      As an update i am feeling fine. No change in t and the soreness is no longer there. I would like to clarify that i have worn my plugs daily for over 5 months commuting to and from the city through the subway system. I was exposed to volumes of 100 dbs every time. Not once did i experience what i felt 2 days ago at that event. The waves from the low frequency definitely affected me but thankfully it did no damage. It makes me wonder if maybe it was the cochlea that i was feeling and maybe it still needs time to heal.

11. lolkas

lolkas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don`t know
      Same thing here. Gotta use subway every day and have to olug-uo.

I actually toom foam earplugs 32db and cut like 1/4 of the end (rounded and a bit shortned) and use them. They go all the way in and are same color as my skin so pretty much ~26db protection for about 50 cents a pair and that pair lasts at least 3 weeks easily.

Only problem is taking them out, so i carry little tweezer with me.

Big plus is that you can on ease have conversation since foam earolugs dont create occlusion effect. I have custom ACS olugs and talking while they wefe on was a b*tch.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah i used foam for a little in the beginning but the fact they never fit correctly due to my narrow ear canal and the fact they let in no sound made me get a custom musician pair. I can hear everything with them. I highly recommend them.

13. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
      Higher frequencies contain more energy. Shorter wavelength. They also don't travel as far. Low frequencies contain less energy. Short wavelength, but they travel further. Light frequencies exhibit similar properties.