Went to See an Audiologist Today

Discussion in 'Support' started by amybu22, Apr 18, 2016.

1. amybu22

amybu22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      went to see an audiologist and he said a lot of stuff I felt unsure of afterwards.
      For example, I've had tinnitus for over a year now and most of the time it's quite mild, it fluctuates sometimes but other than that it's OK.
      I got it after a night of clubbing and a bad head cold.
      Anyway. He told me that I can still hear it because of how I emotionally feel and not because it's damaged my ears because I don't have any hearing loss.
      But I swear most of the time I feel fine and don't think about it but I can still hear it but I felt like he was just saying its in my head.
      And he said going to the cinema and not wearing ear plugs or listening to my earphones won't make it any worse.
      He said it can't get worse.
      He also said I shouldn't go on forums such as these because people like to have fun on them or something and make things sound worse than they are.
      Don't know what to think.

2. Owen
      Disappointed

Owen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unclear. Inflammatory allergic reaction/AIED
      Was he definitely a qualified audiologist?

3. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      We should print namecards with a QR code leading directly to tinnitus talk knowledge bse and give it to these uneducated "professionals"

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      amybu22

amybu22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Was in with him for an hour and he reckons he has tinnitus but can only hear it when he gets a cold.
      Dunno but I'm pretty sure people's can get permanently worse? Not according to him.

5. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      star-trek-facepalm.jpg

Can't even put it in words, this audiologist of yours...

No doubt about it. You're talking to one living example.

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    6. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Some Audiologists really let people down after waiting ages to see them but some are wonderful and carnt do enough for you....think yours let you down a bit....lots of love glynis

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      amybu22

amybu22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      What should they have told me? Cause I'm just more confused than ever I feel dumb about it all.

8. Pb1

Pb1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Sometimes a single face palm just isn't enough!

In my experience it certainly does help to try to stay calm, it gets noticeably worse if you get worked up.

I think it's all related to the Central Nervous System somehow.

I don't think you're only hearing it because of your emotions though.

I got mine through using painkillers not loud noise so I doubt it's actual physical damage that causes it, just that the nerves seem to get wound up or something.

9. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Ahh, one of those, so in the right circumstances and he plugs his ears in a silent room he can hear some faint ringing, so now he knows what tinnitus is like. I have encountered more than one person like this.

'I stubbed my toe once, so I'm going to compare my experience to someone that has chronic debilitating leg pain.'

10. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      That's still physical damage. Its just that its at the micro level, and if it started with an inflammatory process, which I think it must, then it can happen again, likely at a lower threshold for extending damage that is already present....and for all the reassurances we get about "no further damage", well they truly don''t know. It sounds like feelgood advice based on no science whatsoever.

11. DudeMannDude
      Spaced

DudeMannDude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Oh man, your audiologist does not sound like he really knows tinnitus. Yes, it can get worse and loud noise is probably the easiest way. That being said, you should not freak out. Tinnitus is not the end for most people. From here on out you just have to be cautious with your hearing which really is not a difficult thing to do.

The things I would recommend are wearing earplugs in any situation that you have to raise your voice. The ones you get from the drug store will do, just make sure you insert them properly! If you are in a situation where you think "Do I need earplugs?" the answer is probably yes. There are many types of earplugs out there for different situations. I mostly use the foam ones because I want the most protection and I have gotten good at reading people's lips. If those are too much, you can get musicians ear plugs or custom plugs that attenuate the sound evenly.

Download a decibel meter app for your phone or tablet. Granted, these are not the most accurate, but they give you a good indicator of when you might need earplugs. If the meter goes over eighty for a sustained period of time, you should probably use earplugs.

I would stay away from headphones, and I would most definitely not use ear buds for a long period of time. If you do use them, I would not turn them up loud at all. I normally never turn my phone above a quarter of the way up when I listen to music on it.

If you keep a handle on this, you should be okay.

12. Owen
      Disappointed

Owen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unclear. Inflammatory allergic reaction/AIED
      The first ENT I saw told me just to put a radio on quietly in the room and I wouldn't notice it. To me, this was like being to told to put a radio on to help distract me from the sound of a 747 taking off - not very useful advice. Most doctors just don't understand what real sufferers are going through.

As regards trolling, I cannot tell you whether or not there are some on here - probably, as it happens - but the reality is that so many people find comfort in talking to others that understand, rather than a so called professional giving out poor advice and playing down just how adversely some people are affected.

13. Poyraz

Poyraz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzos, Stress, Anxiety, Loud Music, Jaw Problems. Who knows
      Was he high?

14. Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus: