What Caused My Tinnitus and Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Hopeful1, May 11, 2016.

1. Hopeful1
      Depressed

Hopeful1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      I am wondering what caused my H snd T.

Have been to some 10 to 15 salsa parties in the past year. Never had any ringing before.

A month ago read that you could get tinnitus and hearing loss with loud parties.....so bought a pair of musicians ear plugs which reduce sound by 25db.....went to a couple of salsa party parties with earplugs on. A couple of days after the parties i was not comfortable with High frequecy sounds which is the start of my H but no ringing. Two days after H started i was worried and did an online hearing test. I could only hear till 13khz which may be normal for my age 37...but as the online test freqency neared 12.5 khz my ears become uncomfortable and a few minutes after that i hear hissing sound on my ear ehich is the start of my T. Even now if listen to 12.5 khz freqency my T spikes instantly.

I am not sure why i got H as soon as i started wearing ear plugs for protection...nothing happened for all the parties where i had no protection.....after the first party with ear plugs i felt my ears stuff but did not think much about them as i thought it may be due to wearing ear plugs for the first time. I was also really depressed couple of days before my H started.

Other info..i had dislocated jaw 6 months back which my ENT thinks is not related.

So i am not sure what triggered my H, Loud music/ wearing ear plugs/ depression / TMJ........Any ideas on what might have caused it?

2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Go and see an ENT and possibly an audiologist. Tinnitus can come from loud music, TMJ, medication, Illness and possibly other factors. Since your tinnitus is kinda new, the volume could die down and go way down, that you'd not even notice it. An Audiologist can help you with your H, i had bad H before and my audiologist helped me.

Either way, don't panic, you shall be ok and life shall be ok :)

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hopeful1
      Depressed

Hopeful1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      I saw an ENT who says there is no underlying physical cause. He thinks maybe related to noise exposure .