What Do You Still Enjoy in Spite of Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lynny, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Lynny

Lynny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, possibly stress
      There was this time where I had bad episodes of depression before I had tinnitus, and on a good day I made a list I called ‘Things that are good (that will still be good when you’re feeling bad)’

It had things like my favorite foods and movies, the sound of rain, reading, writing, the sea, hot air balloons, dogs, sitting on a train, art, seasons changing, music, meeting friends, cafes, singing in the shower, someone whistling (like, a tune, not catcalling :)), babies, nice clothes, swimming, taking a good picture - I could go on but I’m guessing you catch my drift.

Anyways, it really helped me get through some bad days.

The problem is that since I got this screaming in my head I’m finding it quite hard to find solace in them anymore. My tinnitus and anxiety around it seem to overshadow everything.

My question is: what are some things you still enjoy in spite of tinnitus? What makes you feel better, even if it’s just a little bit or for a little while? What are things that are still good and don’t have a negative (tinnitus-related) association?

It would mean a lot if I you could perhaps help me find some inspiration for a new list.

Thanks in advance!

• Like Like x 4
      • Good Question Good Question x 2
    2. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Vodka, eating, driving, sleeping, stuff married people do, playing guitar, playin with my son.

Listening to music went in the garbage.

• Like Like x 5
    3. Mal58

Mal58 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise? Headphones?
      Good drama on TV and talk radio programmes. "Indian Summers" and "Deutschland 83" are two of my favourites at the moment (free on Channel 4 UK!) "Deutschland 83" is in German, comes with subtitles on C4, so the sound can be turned right down.

• Like Like x 3
    4. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Watching a good movie or tv series.
      Food! (Food = life).
      Nature.
      Being social (in quieter settings and with few people).
      Listening to music.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    5. boliston
      No Mood

boliston Member

Tinnitus Since:
      30th April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      I have always enjoyed photography, but the last couple of years have put a bit of a dampener on it as last year I broke my elbow which meant 2 surgical operations (one to insert metalwork then another to remove metalwork) then only 3 months after my elbow being finally fixed i get tinnitus - I will still take my camera out when I am not feeling stressed by the tinnitus which at the moment is not very often. I remember how stressed I got over the elbow but the tinnitus is far more stressful as it varies so much and there is no knowing if it could get worse or not.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
    6. JohnK
      Busy

JohnK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/26/2015 (habituated) 5/13/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doxycycline (2015) Otimize ear drops [neomycin] (2019)
      At this point, everything except for classical music (lack of percussion means my tinnitus screams through on top) --that said, other music works fine, and I will keep doing immersion therapy with classical music and someday I will enjoy that again as well.

I won't let tinnitus take anything from me forever!

• Agree x 2
      • Hug x 2
      • Optimistic x 2
      • Like x 1
      • Useful x 1
    7. Sironketchup

Sironketchup Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL / Stress / Covid?
      Playing CS Go, smoking weed, listening to music, eating, sex, meeting friends, traveling

• Like Like x 4
    8. John Mahan

John Mahan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Honestly, pretty much everything I want to do. I am not a huge fan of loud music anyway. I love music and listen to all genres almost everyday.

Only disruption in my life when it comes to tinnitus, plainly put, it bugs me. Likely in part because I have been been spoiled or at least lucky to have really good health my whole life. In fact, my health was so good, I always wondered why others didn't have good health. I always felt my health was some kind of magic which I suppose on some level it was with everything working right. Slept like a rock. Woke up early. Had great energy during the day. Worked out. Did what I like. Studied in school what I was interested in and then got a job with the same interest.

So this whole thing has come as a shock to me and maybe why mentally I have struggled with it so.
      When I read posts like yours and from other young people, I hear one common denominator...depression or anxiety. This is why I believe brain chemistry on some level predisposes a person for tinnitus...or by contrast not even with the same sound exposure.

When I read posts like yours Linny and listen to the forum with so many young people with tinnitus, it really makes me stop and think how many others were just like you who struggled in your early life and I didn't even know about it.

When we had the conversation about other people understanding...,no, they will never understand. They have no idea. I didn't.

My hope for you and all the young people on here is...and there is a 13 year old that has posted too is...technology I believe will save you. What I believe.

Meanwhile, if you can't break out of your funk of depression which btw, is somewhat genetic and runs in families, by all means speak to a health care professional. Just be mindful if you get on a medication regiment which I know many of my friends and family are on, carefully monitor your tinnitus. Hopefully you can find Goldilocks ergo nexus between mental health and tinnitus. Likely your depression caused your tinnitus on some level...the way your brain is wired and you maybe able to tweak this neurochemistry with medication to reduce your tinnitus. Keep searching and never give up. Meanwhile find stuff you like to do that you really enjoy.

My opinion is life is worth living if you find out what you like to do and then do it.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    9. Ken77
      Frustrated

Ken77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Possibly benzos (lorazepam) and/or stress
      I can still do pretty much everything I did before I had tinnitus but I can only watch tv or play video games when I use a white noise masking app at the same time. Without it my tinnitus still annoys me a lot and I can't enjoy those activities. The white noise is also somewhat annoying and I hate having to use it, but I can tune it out better than the tinnitus.

When I am outside I usually don't hear my tinnitus so I can still enjoy pretty much all outdoor activities. (My tinnitus is moderate, like a 5/10 but very high pitched).

• Like Like x 2
    10. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

Presently, only my children really.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    11. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I'm finding it hard to enjoy anything. The onset of tinnitus has been a big shock to me, and i'm still in the 'I can't accept it phase'.

I feel sorry for my young children. Once I was a fun person to be around, now I am reclusive and sad and can only think that life has been ruined for both me and them.

• Hug Hug x 8
    12. Astro
      Alone

Astro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I still enjoy everything.
      Definitely didnt enjoy anything at first. The biggest thing that bothered me in the beggining was not being able to focus on reading because I read to calm myself down. But I read daily now. Pretty much the only thing that was 100% negatively affected by t was music, I can still enjoy it. But not loud and i loved loud before.

• Like Like x 2
    13. Astro
      Alone

Astro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Also I used my suicidal thought to just strengthen myself on this planet. When I reached the point of "if it's my time it's my time" I started doing human suspension which lowers my t for days after doing it sky diving, base jumping jumping off a boat and swimming miles out at sea. I live more dangerously now but I honestly enjoy my life more now than I ever have in my 28 years

• Like Like x 2
    14. bojacksito
      Artistic

bojacksito Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise exposure
      Heya, i see we're the same age, i hope youre doing okay despite what we have to cope with. What do i still enjoy.. well i draw, and its my energy force haha, although i dont draw nearly as much as i did before T (i used to draw every single day) i still enjoy doing it when i feel motivated enough, and it helps me vent a lot of emotions, ive said to myself before, while im capable of drawing and expressing how i feel, then i can keep on going a bit longer. I enjoy trips to the country side, with my family or friends, listening to the birds chirp and nature sounds in general. Music is another thing that keeps me going, even though i cant blast it at full volume anymore, im always searching for new artists to listen to, Elton John, Bright Eyes, America, Simon and Garfunkel all have songs that make me feel hopeful in a way. I enjoy a good nights sleep. And just recently ive started dating someone and through them i met a great group of peeps and every two weekends we get together to play Dungeons & Dragons and its a blast honestly, i have no time to think about sad shit when im too into the roleplay lmao. Also!, cooking!, when we get together i cook something for all to eat and seeing them enjoy what i bring is always so nice and special. Anyways, please take care, and if its okay im here to talk whenever, stay safe ♡

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    15. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Arguing?

• Funny Funny x 4
      • Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
    16. AVIYT
      Wishful

AVIYT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregabalin
      Movies. sometimes.

Music. Most definitely, but much less so now with tinnitus.

FOOD. Definitely.....

Taking a hot bath with relaxing music while being served food? BEST

• Like Like x 4
    17. Star64
      Kick ass

Star64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I like playing Doctors and Patient with my Granddaughter, she is bossy though, so she is nearly always the Doc, she even knows what condition she is going to treat before you even tell her, in my case my ringing ears.

The best part is she tells me do not worry, I can fix that, and she does in a way, I forget about them ringing for awhile when I am with her.

I also love music, I listen to it everyday, another passion of mine is travel, I like to explore new countries and immerse myself in their cultures. For us Aussies that means usually a 24 hour plane flight. I would like to forget to pack my tinnitus though, but since that has never happened its a case of "Hello world here we come"

• Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 2
    18. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Who serves you food in the bath?
      You're definitely a pimp daddy man, well done.

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    19. Star64
      Kick ass

Star64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      What about getting behind the wheel of a MASERATI, that looked cool.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      I enjoy my family.

I used to be able to create art for 18 hours straight, sleep and get right back to it.
      When I can start creating again, which is coming, I will have gained a lot of what I lost back again.

Family and friends. Family and Friends.

Films.

Ping pong on our new kick ass ping pong table, and now that my hyperacusis is in remission it’s fun. My ten year old beat me, I attribute that to PTSD and my vision getting worse.

I hope everybody on this forum can experience some joy and happiness, we have a heavy burden to bear, and I am thinking and sending love to the members who are really hurting. You guys are not forgotten. My audiogram is horrific, my tinnitus is terrible, but somehow I have found some light, thanks to many members here, luck, and my family.

I digress... oooppps...

Praying for you all to heal and experience happiness again.

• Hug Hug x 5
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
    21. Star64
      Kick ass

Star64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Get your camera back out, photography will definitely take your mind off things, do not let tinnitus rob you of this.
      I wish I was a good photographer.
      I would love to do a photography course....believe me I need all the help I can get.

• Like Like x 2
    22. John Mahan

John Mahan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I personally engage in much higher risk behavior now that I have contracted tinnitus. I view this as exhilaration compensating for the torment of this disorder which creates a net equivalency.

In particular I rob banks which affords me a much more comfortable lifestyle which is a rush. I can jet off to the French Riviera as an example more freely without putting a dent in my pocket book.

Biggest thrill? Hard to say and a bit of a toss up. I like wing walking on vintage bi-planes and also riding the back wheel of my R1 at freeway speeds. Both are a thrill.

upload_2019-9-18_10-42-27.png

upload_2019-9-18_10-43-26.png

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    23. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Nothing.

• Hug Hug x 4
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lynny

Lynny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, possibly stress
      Aw Pete:( keeping you (and all the others) in my prayers.

• Like Like x 2
    25. acute
      Depressed

acute Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      Nothing, everything is contaminated with Tinnitus.

• Hug Hug x 3
    26. Star64
      Kick ass

Star64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Robbing banks sounds good, I would have no trouble then parting with my hard earned money on purchasing the luxury Maserati that is calling my name.

Geez, if I got caught I probably would be the first to use the defense, I am suffering from tinnitus and benzo withdrawal, I plead not guilty, then we all know what would happen, they would try and send me to Rehab, and I would be singing NO NO NO.....;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    27. John Mahan

John Mahan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      A very tough thing to get initially. Long term isn't great either but we adapt. Takes time...sometimes some help with meds...once you calm down and adjust and start to do the things you used to do, your life will get better. Take it from all the people here that have had it for more than a couple years.

If that is you in your avatar, like Lynny, you are very young and great news for you both is I know the medical community will help you and then you have your whole life in front of you.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    28. John Mahan

John Mahan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Star, please accept my apology about our interlude of misunderstanding. It got out of hand and probably my fault.

Are you a car girl? I have been fortunate to own and build a lot of cool cars.
      I am not a lover of Italian cars because of their poor reliability but honestly, they all can be a PITA if you own them out of warranty because of the complexity.
      The Italians have such a flare for design including their motorcycles like Ducati and Aprilia.

I live in America and if you want to see what a modern and even affordable American car can do on a European track,
      here is a peek that will wet your appetite. The driving talent of this guy is off the chain. I worked at the facility that designed the Camaro.

2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE Conquers Nürburgring...

• Like Like x 1
    29. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I find humor to be the most enjoyable.

Even something as simple as browsing through giffy for memes is a surefire laugh. It's just how my funny-bone is wired.

giphy.gif

But the most joy, um, requires a girlfriend, and unfortunately that is a double-edged sword due to the invariable drama it typically causes.

I don't have a pet now but I do a lot of animal-watching in the yard, whether it's chipmunks running around with their tails in the air or birds hitting the birdfeeder. I guess that sort of thing is "old folks" stuff but I find that calming. It's sort of like having a pet without the responsibility.

• Like Like x 2
    30. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      I'm once again compelled to fully agree with Acute - "Contaminated" is precisely "le mot juste" (As Flaubert said, "the right word").
      In fact, when recalling my life I demarcate it into the "Pre" and "Post" Tinnitus Eras.
      After nearly six years it becomes increasingly difficult to recall a time when I could totally, unselfconsciously take normal hearing and silence for granted.
      Tinnitus is akin to an internally imposed North Korean Regime.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1