What Does Your Tinnitus Sound Like, What Does It Take to Mask It, and Can Any Drug Lower It?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, May 7, 2016.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I have a tone, an fluctuating whistle, and fluctuating static in my left ear. Only the tone can be masked with my hearing aid masker. It takes a shower to mask everything. Klonopin used to lower my tinnitus. Doesn't seem to help much anymore although sometimes when I combine it with Lamictal it might a little bit or it might not. Lamictal on it's own seems to reduce it about 20% for me now. Last week I did pretty good at dealing with it and it even seemed to mostly blend in with the ambient noise when I had my hearing aid program manipulated. This week not so good at dealing with it. I seem to have made the tone go down, I can deal with the whistle, but the static bothers me because it interrupts the masker to where it isn't smooth sounding. I was extremely pissed yesterday about it. Maybe more so than ever before.

2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Markku's New Tinnitus Tone

Honestly, only the shower provides me complete masking (in usual day-to-day setting, anyway).

Benzos etc. don't do anything for my tinnitus.

Incidentally, however, more than a year ago I was prescribed Prednisone for another ailment, I think it was about a week's course (5 days maybe?), and during that time my tinnitus reduced in loudness significantly. I don't think it was placebo; at the very least I had no expectation of it impacting my tinnitus in any way, as I had had tinnitus for several years before that.

Unfortunately it returned to the baseline after the course of steroids was finished. Remains a mystery to me.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      I've never taken any meds for my tinnitus so can't give any info there.

My sounds are multiple - 5,550Hz, 6,500Hz, a higher pitch I struggle to match, a broader noise I think (which may be the mixing of tones creating confusion) and also a low rumbling.

In terms of masking, mine is reactive to most music, jumps up in volume. I can have masking in louder environments but sometimes get the higher pitch jumping up. It's probably relative to the type of sound environment though and isn't a constant. Sometimes I am able to not hear it if I'm concentrating on something quite hard. If I mask only the higher pitches the low rumble pops out. I can get relaxation through music I make myself - able to tailor it to my own needs where it tunes the tinnitus out.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. linda moore

linda moore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Yes my tinnitus is a hissing, I have too had steroids which helped my asthma and tinnitus.
      NOW for the great news (it works for me) This past two weeks I have been taking Cinnarzine it's on prescription but can be found 15 mg in Motion sickness pills, it increases blood flow to the ear, it's a anntihistamine and it helps sleep which helps visa versa, I have been taking one in a morning and one at night, doctor says non addictive and safe. My tinnitus has decreased through the day 80 percent s
      Sunday and Monday I was four hours tinnitus free ! So happy I could cry ! Try it hope it works for everyone x

5. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      What tinnitus sounds like

This is not my clip but my tinnitus
      sounds like this on a very bad day...was like this the first week but now its much lighter..residual inhibition works for me when i play this so it's definitely mine.. I also use the sounds of my sink to mask it..crickets work sometimes as well..i also use this vid to help me..im assuming this is similar to the Acoustic CR Modulation? I listen to it every day. I also was on predisone but had to stop after a day because of side effects..had the jitters and insomnia...the positive is it got rid of hyperacusis in my left ear...my right was always fine. I just had a cup of coffee and feel my tinnitus has been reduced by it but i also drink lots of pineapple juice and take vitamin b and magnesium every day.

Tinnitus Sound Therapy | Tinnitus Treatment...

6. linda moore

linda moore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Coffee I believe agrivates tinnitus I switched to decaf and have felt great benefit.

7. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      @linda moore

See my post earlier today...its been proven it actualy decreases tinnitus...had a cup today..no problems at all